Lescott and Garcia Partnership

Blue Hefner said:
taconinja said:
Pughie said:
I thought they did alright to be fair
People want a solution, and generally they want one that is a quick fix. No matter what this forum loves generating scapegoats where any and all ills including the cure for cancer and world poverty would be solved just by starting the perfect mix of players.

I disagree. Lescott has been here for 3 or 4 years and I think its generally accepted that as a 'senior' centre-half he is not good enough, he needs Kompany to babysit him. As for Garcia, he's been here for 12 months and its clear that he isn't good enough either in midfield or defence

I wouldn't say that anyone is looking for a 'quick-fix' regarding these two as it has been a problem for as long as they have been here. The last time they played at centre-back we got hammered off S'land. Now I'm not saying it is all their fault but the general uncertainty and lack of quality on the ball as well as lack of pace are all serious problems that should have been addressed a long time ago.

If they had played at centre-back for Cardiff we would have scored 10! They are not up to it at this level. Its not a case of scapegoating people, they just aren't good enough at this level, its as simple as that
You misunderstand me. What I mean by "quick fix" is simply start Player A over Player B and all our ills will magically disappear. For instance, a popular target is Kolarov. Start Clichy and we'll never have to worry. Unfortunately, that's not true. Our left side both defending and attacking obviously needs structural work.

I agree we need upgrades at certain areas.

Pughie said:
I thought they did alright to be fair

Generally they did, because they had fuck all to do, most of the time. It's just when they had to do a job it fell apart.
The problem is they're not our main CB pairing and it shows, but it also shows up our FBs, as it looks like the defence
was thrown together from people that have never met each other. This is down to organisation ON the pitch.
Vinny is so brilliant at this, it goes unnoticed. Lescott however wobbles even more when Vinny ain't around.

Mr. Aguia said:
But we had the best defensive record in the PL last year. We'll be fine with Lescott and Garcia. garcia reads the game really well didn't you know?

We had the best defensive record because we played TWO holding midfield players and were narrow in midfield - thats also why we didnt score very many goals - because there was no width and the lone striker was isolated, and why we didnt retain the title.

In order to play the manager's (and my) preferred 4-4-2, thereby having width and having only one holding MF player - you require two centre half's who are top four and CL material.

No, we wont be fine with Lescott and Garcia. Neither of them are top four players let alone CL. Lescott never was, is always prone to mistakes in positioning and his actual ball playing/skill is non existent. Garcia is perhaps the slowest player i've ever seen in the Prem League, and the combination of the two is woeful.

I couldnt understand why we didnt break the bank 18 months ago, and i'm even more so this summer, to bring in the best central defender we can attract. It was a mistake that has unfortunately been repeated yet again, and yet again it will cost us........

ANY1aBLUE said:
Mr. Aguia said:
But we had the best defensive record in the PL last year. We'll be fine with Lescott and Garcia. garcia reads the game really well didn't you know?

We had the best defensive record because we played TWO holding midfield players and were narrow in midfield - thats also why we didnt score very many goals - because there was no width and the lone striker was isolated, and why we didnt retain the title.

In order to play the manager's (and my) preferred 4-4-2, thereby having width and having only one holding MF player - you require two centre half's who are top four and CL material.

No, we wont be fine with Lescott and Garcia. Neither of them are top four players let alone CL. Lescott never was, is always prone to mistakes in positioning and his actual ball playing/skill is non existent. Garcia is perhaps the slowest player i've ever seen in the Prem League, and the combination of the two is woeful.

I couldnt understand why we didnt break the bank 18 months ago, and i'm even more so this summer, to bring in the best central defender we can attract. It was a mistake that has unfortunately been repeated yet again, and yet again it will cost us........

Fantastic post,it does not take a Philadelphia Lawyer to work it out.

It will cost us dear I have no doubt.I can only think we had a target lined up that did not happen.

ANY1aBLUE said:
Mr. Aguia said:

I agree with your sentiments. Fortunately Kompany and Nasti are top 4/Chumps league quality, I just hope the accountants are happy that one of those two was injured on that dog of a pitch in Hong kong what seems a life time ago.

To be real challengers at the top we need at least one more centre half that is as good or if not better than Kompany or Nasti, two would be great and then that would provide the quality cover at centre back and similar to the cover which we enjoy in other areas of the team. I can't believe we were in this position in January and have done nothing this summer to remedy it. Once again "Don't panic Mr Mannering as we have a week to sort out a world class addition", ain't gonna happen.

In the summer of 2014 I hope we buy a quality centre half and send Garcia to the Rose and Crown in Ramsbottom, I believe they need someone to cut the bowling green!!

They should not be allowed to play together again, it just doesn't work. Too slow, not reactive enough, will get severely punished by any decent side. A few weeks ago I didn't want Pepe or a new first choice CB, but Kompany's absence is just too big to us. It should be a priority to sign Luiz, Pepe or Mangala this week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.