Lest we forget....

What a fascinating article to read ten years down the line.

What an interesting throwaway comment from HERBERT re: the attraction of city breaking into the top six as well...

OK, the article starts like this:

"It was one of those wonderful pieces of theatre which will be so missed when Sir Alex Ferguson has packed up his tracksuit and gone.

Someone had asked him whether Manchester United will ever go into a derby match as underdogs and for 15 seconds or more he eyed his inquisitor, the hint of a glint in those narrow eyes, and you wondered whether that individual or Manchester City would be on the receiving end of the full force of his opinion. "What time is it?" he said, at last. "I think it is time for me to leave." And as he clambered from his seat, an answer to that question... 'Not in my lifetime.'"

It was all so comedic then, wasn't it? High theater, that. It was all so funny to kick City in the bollocks. Fergie did it and the notebook scratchers ate it up.

Those of us who were around before the events of the takeover and the movement toward success (FA Cup in '11 and League in '12) can I'm sure recall the feeling we always got when this kind of shite got slung. We stood there, we gritted our teeth and we took it. There was nothing else to do. United were the media darlings and Fergie was the Kingpin.

Then we actually started winning and taking on the shape of a quality side in the English game.

On April 30, 2012 the old Scottish pisscan finally started to show signs of the (GASP!) rivalry getting to him when he had a go at Bobby Manc during our 1-0 derby victory - a victory that brought us level with his United team on points and into first place on goal difference. As Sir Alex tore into the Italian, Mancini calmly glared back at him, gesturing with his hand and never giving an inch to the old man. Not an inch. I always look back on that day - complete with Vinnie's iconic header - as the day that things really started to tip in our favor with strong momentum. Beating them 6-1 in the first fixture was sweet enough, but then clawing back from being (if I remember correctly) 7 or 8 points behind, beating them a second time in the same season and finally pipping them for the title really opened the floodgates.

We've been, more or less, over the moon since then. They have become, more or less, a mess. A dumpster fire, at least by their own standards. A side that enters EVERY match against us as the underdog. And you can't tell me that you see this changing anytime in the next couple years, can you? Because if you can't, they will have then endured close to a decade of playing second fiddle to us.

Drink it in.

CTID

Last edited:

"It was one of those wonderful pieces of theatre which will be so missed when Sir Alex Ferguson has packed up his tracksuit and gone.

Someone had asked him whether Manchester United will ever go into a derby match as underdogs and for 15 seconds or more he eyed his inquisitor, the hint of a glint in those narrow eyes, and you wondered whether that individual or Manchester City would be on the receiving end of the full force of his opinion. "What time is it?" he said, at last. "I think it is time for me to leave." And as he clambered from his seat, an answer to that question... 'Not in my lifetime.'"

It was all so comedic then, wasn't it? High theater, that. It was all so funny to kick City in the bollocks. Fergie did it and the notebook scratchers ate it up.

Those of us who were around before the events of the takeover and the movement toward success (FA Cup in '11 and League in '12) can I'm sure recall the feeling we always got when this kind of shite got slung. We stood there, we gritted our teeth and we took it. There was nothing else to do. United were the media darlings and Fergie was the Kingpin.

Then we actually started winning and taking on the shape of a quality side in the English game.

On April 30, 2012 the old Scottish pisscan finally started to show signs of the (GASP!) rivalry getting to him when he had a go at Bobby Manc during our 1-0 derby victory - a victory that brought us level with his United team on points and into first place on goal difference. As Sir Alex tore into the Italian, Mancini calmly glared back at him, gestring with his hand and never giving an inch to the old man. Not an inch. I always look back on that day - complete with Vinnie's iconic header - as the day that things really started to tip in our favor with strong momentum. Beating them 6-1 in the first fixture was sweet enough, but then clawing back from being (if I remember correctly) 7 or 8 points behind, beating them a second time in the same season and finally pipping them for the title really opened the floodgates.

We've been, more or less, over the moon since then. They have become, more or less, a mess. A dumpster fire, at least by their own standards. A side that enters EVERY match against us as the underdog. And you can't tell me that you see this changing anytime in the next couple years, can you? Because if you can't, they will have then endured close to a decade of playing second fiddle to us.

Drink it in.

CTID
Absolutely spot on.

On April 30, 2012 the old Scottish pisscan finally started to show signs of the (GASP!) rivalry getting to him when he had a go at Bobby Manc during our 1-0 derby victory - a victory that brought us level with his United team on points and into first place on goal difference. As Sir Alex tore into the Italian, Mancini calmly glared back at him, gestring with his hand and never giving an inch to the old man. Not an inch. I always look back on that day - complete with Vinnie's iconic header - as the day that things really started to tip in our favor with strong momentum. Beating them 6-1 in the first fixture was sweet enough, but then clawing back from being (if I remember correctly) 7 or 8 points behind, beating them a second time in the same season and finally pipping them for the title really opened the floodgates.

Drink it in.

CTID
not only do i like this, i'm overwhelmed, beautiful stuff.
I remember it well, and the trying typical times before this.
but living in Canada we just don't get the level of grassroots, in depth reporting, or personal comments that are at the heart of some matters that you get in the UK.
this season has been great, and thank-you for reminding us what we were thought of, and how far we have come since.
I appreciate your summation very much, and i am even more appreciative of our great team.
one thing uefa can not take away from us is that the world is richer for having witnessed City play football.

On April 30, 2012 the old Scottish pisscan finally started to show signs of the (GASP!) rivalry getting to him when he had a go at Bobby Manc during our 1-0 derby victory - a victory that brought us level with his United team on points and into first place on goal difference. As Sir Alex tore into the Italian, Mancini calmly glared back at him, gesturing with his hand and never giving an inch to the old man. Not an inch. I always look back on that day - complete with Vinnie's iconic header - as the day that things really started to tip in our favor with strong momentum. Beating them 6-1 in the first fixture was sweet enough, but then clawing back from being (if I remember correctly) 7 or 8 points behind, beating them a second time in the same season and finally pipping them for the title really opened the floodgates.

Drink it in.

CTID

Good post, that. I don’t think for one second that nearly a decade after Fergie leaving did he think that his would be their last league title. The speed of their decline mirrored ours in the early to mid 90s except they’ve got a lot more money than we had back then to try and rebuild. But the big pots are miles away at the moment. Absolutely nowhere near the top two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.