Let's talk about corners

Average per game 10.24
Shots from 26%
Shots on target 9.8%
Goals from 2.2%
Wins resulting from a goal scored from a corner 76%
Short corners that result in a cross to far post are more effective resulting in 57% chance of a shot on target

* shots includes headers

One issue with corners is the defending team counter attacking, with defenders out of position and team shape not correct

Figures from a study by the International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
1139 corners in 124 matches

We don't have a problem with defending counter attacks on the corner, it's one of the most notable things about our set pieces that we form a semi circle around the box and cut out anything coming out of it. Walker +1 are deeper and kill off the long ball option.

I doubt there's a stat for it but I'd love to see how many touches or passes the opposition got on average following a corner before we robbed them.

Don't agree with that at all.

In about 2014/15/16, Atletico Madrid were scoring at a rate of 1 goal every 10.4 corners. The avarage was about 5x worse.

But that Atletico team only had 3 players over 6ft in their corner routines - Godin, Miranda, Mandzukic.

You don't actually need giants to score from corners, it's more about to worry ourselves about scoring at quality in the air, routines and delivery.

those 3 you mention are all fucking monsters and are incredibly good in the air, we don't have monsters in our team, we don't rely on corners for our goals not sure barca did when pep was there, in fact I would be concerned if we did need corners to score, maybe we should swap pep for pullis ?

We score more goals than any team in Europe year in year out, but I have to say our corner to goals ratio is shocking I have no idea how many corners we have but must be 200 plus and I think we have only scored maybe 3-5 directly from a corner, we clearly don't practise corners, why.
Because we dont score many isn't a sure indicator we dont practice them

those 3 you mention are all fucking monsters and are incredibly good in the air, we don't have monsters in our team, we don't rely on corners for our goals not sure barca did when pep was there, in fact I would be concerned if we did need corners to score, maybe we should swap pep for pullis ?

Yes but there's only 3 of them. We put out teams with more than 3 players over 6ft every week. Being good in the air isn't an ability you're born with, it's taught.

maybe we should swap pep for pullis

Ha! You walked right into it. Predictable as ever.

The question is not about "relying on corners" it's about finding additional ways of picking up 10 goals a season. And I'm sure if Pep had an extra 5 hours a week to spend on set pieces he'd love to open up another source of goals.

Once again, the first rule with corners is that they MUST always be inswinging.

Just to underline the point, Kev from the left Merlin from the right for us.

It is especially important when there is a real lack of height with your attackers as the defence can easily cope with only one or two tall players if they have only to play the outswingers.

The fundamental logic is that a ball " leaving " the danger area is just that. Whereas one coming into danger only needs a touch from ANY player to create mayhem & a potential scoring opportunity.

Of course the odd one should be short or long but the chance of success is limited.
why doesn't pep get you down to training to show them, you seem like an expert

I imagine the amount of variables involved means Pep isn't too fussed on focusing on them. That time is better spent coaching players in how to play with the ball on the ground.

It is frustrating to get seemingly 10+ corners every game and rarely ever get anything but im not fussed when we are bagging an average of about 4 a game or whatever it is!

Yes but there's only 3 of them. We put out teams with more than 3 players over 6ft every week.

haha you old trickster ,wtf.

oh shit ,ive just seen its domalino haha,you would argue black is white, you old bulldog you, well if you think im toing and froing with you for the next 3 years your sadly mistaken :) im out xx

Yes but there's only 3 of them. We put out teams with more than 3 players over 6ft every week. Being good in the air isn't an ability you're born with, it's taught.who are the more than 3 over 6ft in our team at any one time ?

The question is not about "relying on corners" it's about finding additional ways of picking up 10 goals a season. And I'm sure if Pep had an extra 5 hours a week to spend on set pieces he'd love to open up another source of goals.
who are the more than 3 over 6ft in our team at any one time ?
we score plenty and don't have to rely on corners, if we weren't scoring so many then im sure pep would work on corners , im sure they do work on set pieces a lot anyway.

who are the more than 3 over 6ft in our team at any one time ?
we score plenty and don't have to rely on corners, if we weren't scoring so many then im sure pep would work on corners , im sure they do work on set pieces a lot anyway.

Again you deliberately misinterpret the point. It's not about relying on corners, it's about maximising every source of goals. Like having a 90%+ penalty taker or good threats from free kicks.

Guardiola cancelled a day off for the players to make them practice corners by the way, just before Christmas IIRC. Which isn't something you'd do if you're not bothered about scoring from them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.