Liam Delap | £16m bid from Southampton rejected

It’s probably nothing more than price. They felt it was a good deal for Lavia but, as a striker, Delap could be worth a fair bit more in a couple of seasons.

Saying that, I can see Palmer doing well this season and McAtee getting some good minutes with the five subs rule, but can’t see Delap getting much time even with injuries.

Makes you wonder where our valuation comes from for Delap, or maybe we do rate him and he’d have got more minutes last season but for injuries.
Rhian Brewster went for £23 million which obviously included the Anfield hype tax of £22.5 million.

Cole palmer will get more game time this season he’ll be with the first team squad now ..
He was moved up to the first team squad last season surely, it's only his injury that screwed things up. I've no doubt that Delap would have got a lot of minutes last season (relatively speaking), no idea what's in Peps head now though. I'm hoping he stays and learns of Haaland, I don't see Alvarez being an obstacle in Delaps path as they're different types of forwards.

Would love to see him play in the PL every week.

Loan/Sell ( with buy back clause) to Southampton so he can replace Armando Broja.

I do sometimes struggle to understand City's youth strategy. Lavia, who seemed a potentially great defensive midfielder and "City style" player, was sold at the drop of a hat and yet Delap, with seemingly little prospect of first team minutes, is kept at the club.
I am hopeful that one of Cole, McAtee or Delap will make an impression this season but cannot see how all three can be given minutes.
I guess if one does establish themself as a first team squad member then we should be happy. The days of half the team being academy graduates are in the past.
Think Lavia was due mostly to having one year left on his contract. Seems to be highly thought of by City so selling with a buyback was the best option if he was looking for first team minutes and wouldn't commit to a new deal.
Conversely, Delap recently signed a long-term contract so the club have more control over things.

He was moved up to the first team squad last season surely, it's only his injury that screwed things up. I've no doubt that Delap would have got a lot of minutes last season (relatively speaking), no idea what's in Peps head now though. I'm hoping he stays and learns of Haaland, I don't see Alvarez being an obstacle in Delaps path as they're different types of forwards.
I agree, if we plan a new system around Haaland and he then gets injured the Delap is as close as we have in the squad at present.

Would love to see him play in the PL every week.

Loan/Sell ( with buy back clause) to Southampton so he can replace Armando Broja.

Selling to Southampton is probably out of the picture now, they've got an alternative young striker. Paid 11m for him, decent business when taking a chance on someone, which is what they would have beem doing with Delap anyway, but for a lot more money and possibly a buy-back.

Think Lavia was due mostly to having one year left on his contract. Seems to be highly thought of by City so selling with a buyback was the best option if he was looking for first team minutes and wouldn't commit to a new deal.
Conversely, Delap recently signed a long-term contract so the club have more control over things.
I can only see Delap signing the new contract as he's happy with whatever the club have planned for him. Haaland would have been on the table during talks (no, not literally).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.