Liam Delap signs new contract until 2026

Varane made his Madrid debut against us in the CL aged 18 I think.
It is about the manager’s decisions and his trust. Pep had a reputation at Barca for trusting youth but his time at Bayern and City suggests that was possibly a fallacy based more on a political/cultural or even economic imperative to promote La Masia, rather than a true belief or policy. Only Pep himself truly knows.
Make no mistake, City's current academy players are potentially a golden age. We may not see a group this talented for 20 years or more. They’ve won everything in front of them, breaking all previous records.
The depth is frightening. Luke Mbete plays like he did on Tuesday night yet he’s probably behind Calum Doyle, a year younger, who is already tearing up League One and dominating huge, streetwise veteran centre forwards at 17. THB at 19 being favourably compared in Belgium to Vinny. Finley Burns, 18, was hugely smart and intelligent enough to drop off Akinfenwa knowing he'd nearly always win the first header but would then struggle to control the ball afterwards.
Lavia, Palmer, McAtee having exactly the sort of games I hoped they would. CJ and especially Josh at full backs visibly growing in confidence and stature with each passing minute. Absolutely loved it.
It would be criminal if four or five of these lads aren’t squad members five years from now and saving us a fortune on underwhelming yet hugely expensive squad players like Mendy, Ake etc

Varane was a €12m signing with a full season of top-flight football in France behind him, not exactly a fair comparison.

The big difference between Barcelona and here is the B team. Pep had already managed those young players for the B team, and their young players get to compete in proper league fixtures against adult pros extra week. That really gives you a huge advantage when it comes to evaluating their ability to step up to the first team

All goes back to having 2 of them on the bench in every game, with 9 subs 7 regular first team players can cover all the options and a couple of lads there who can get proper game experience when let's be honest 75% of our games are over after 60 mins so EVEN if they did fuck something up it wouldn't matter.

Sadly I can't see that happening we'll continue to have 3/4 experienced AM's on there when 2 would do, and 2 CH's when 1 would do...there are the 2 spots right there.
Rule changes needed to encourage this imo. Maybe allow five subs but two have to be academy players with less than 20 first team appearances. This would work for clubs at all levels and make academy players more valuable to their clubs.

Varane made his Madrid debut against us in the CL aged 18 I think.
It is about the manager’s decisions and his trust. Pep had a reputation at Barca for trusting youth but his time at Bayern and City suggests that was possibly a fallacy based more on a political/cultural or even economic imperative to promote La Masia, rather than a true belief or policy. Only Pep himself truly knows.
Make no mistake, City's current academy players are potentially a golden age. We may not see a group this talented for 20 years or more. They’ve won everything in front of them, breaking all previous records.
The depth is frightening. Luke Mbete plays like he did on Tuesday night yet he’s probably behind Calum Doyle, a year younger, who is already tearing up League One and dominating huge, streetwise veteran centre forwards at 17. THB at 19 being favourably compared in Belgium to Vinny. Finley Burns, 18, was hugely smart and intelligent enough to drop off Akinfenwa knowing he'd nearly always win the first header but would then struggle to control the ball afterwards.
Lavia, Palmer, McAtee having exactly the sort of games I hoped they would. CJ and especially Josh at full backs visibly growing in confidence and stature with each passing minute. Absolutely loved it.
It would be criminal if four or five of these lads aren’t squad members five years from now and saving us a fortune on underwhelming yet hugely expensive squad players like Mendy, Ake etc

We did not really have any promising youth players at the time Pep was in Munich. And the ones we had he gave his trust - take Höjbjerg as an example, who even started in a Cup final. It did not work out with Höjbjerg on the long run as he was not patient enough and we already were stacked in midfield. Others like Gaudino or Weiser made it to professionals - but not in the first bracket that is enough for Bayern. But he e.g. gave Kimmich, who was not an own prospect but one that he watched and we then bought, his start to a real career (he was 20 and came from 2nd Bundesliga) - and Coman, that came with 19, only had some minutes 1st league experience for PSG and Juve.

There just weren't any gems like today a Musiala or Davies - or in Bayern generations before Alabas or Müllers.

There are many ways to get these kids into our team, the manager has got to want to do it though.

It is a fallacy to suggest that a team like ourselves can not find the space to develop youth players and jeopardise our chance of success.

I am sure I noticed a 16yo playing and scoring for Barcelona the other season, now been given Messi's number 10 at 18yo.

One example.
Agree. Way to do it is to contain it and focus on 1-2 prospects and give them multiple starts and sub appearances

There are many ways to get these kids into our team, the manager has got to want to do it though.

It is a fallacy to suggest that a team like ourselves can not find the space to develop youth players and jeopardise our chance of success.

I am sure I noticed a 16yo playing and scoring for Barcelona the other season, now been given Messi's number 10 at 18yo.

One example.
Whilst I sort of agree. We have alot of first team squad players who need minutes. If they didn't get them over a youth player I'd guess they'll be some issues.

Everyone looks at other European sides on why it's works but at City and in England the best teams challenging for trophies can't just throw kids in. Too much pressure if we/they lose.

Delap was subbed at around 60 minutes for the u23 game , the Wycome game came a little early for him. He has been a little unlucky/ stupid when its come to the odd game he may have featured in by being injured / recovering / suspended

Whilst I sort of agree. We have alot of first team squad players who need minutes. If they didn't get them over a youth player I'd guess they'll be some issues.

Everyone looks at other European sides on why it's works but at City and in England the best teams challenging for trophies can't just throw kids in. Too much pressure if we/they lose.
I am an advocate for blooding them from the bench when we have a substantial lead, 10/15 mins at 3-0 up etc no first team player needs 15 mins, it would then allow us to rotate the first team more often from the start, as much as I like us winning the league cup I still believe at times Pep has gone over the top on his player selection and best teams 9-0 etc, Tuesday showed that a good mix of youth and first team can get the job done amply.

These lads have the potential to be true stars and I want that for my club, I would hate to see them leave and make it elsewhere while we then pay 50m for somebody else's youth projects tjag are 2 years down the line.

Again the Sancho example is everything, I don't actually think he is good enough for us but the near 100m fee would have been like giving FFP the fingers.

It would also have given us the net spend cup lol

I have always wanted us to field a side of local lads or as close as possible, I thought this when we were shit and still hope for it now, it is what it is.

We nearly had it with Lakey and Redmond's era but we just lacked a couple of signings to complement then but it didn't happen and it came apart at the seams, which was a shame.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.