Life

idahoblues

What a crazy roulette of oppurtunities, missed oppurtinities, good luck and bad luck.
I grew up as probably the poorest kid in my group of friends , half of my mates are dead, some doing well, some not so well. Some healthy, some not...how the fuck am I 55 years old, I think like a 20 year old, the body wears out, sometimes the mind...enjoy every moment while you have it

You cunts

What a crazy roulette of oppurtunities, missed oppurtinities, good luck and bad luck.
I grew up as probably the poorest kid in my group of friends , half of my mates are dead, some doing well, some not so well. Some healthy, some not...how the fuck am I 55 years old, I think like a 20 year old, the body wears out, sometimes the mind...enjoy every moment while you have it

You cunts
So true mate, life is precious, do what you can whilst you can. We never know what the fuck is going on in our body and mind. Healthy one minute, diagnosed with something or other the next. That's how vulnerable we are to meeting our maker I think. I too am a semi - FOC aged a young 55; )

Can you please rename this the Life and Death thread as I think It's a good place to post when someone wants to mention deceased loved ones.

Today is the day in 2004 my old fella passed away. Ravaged by dementia and suffering 5-6 strokes.

I was staying in a B&B in Folkestone at the time working away. He died at 6am in a nursing home aged 73. Guess what? I woke up this morning at the same time. I talked out a little telling him I still love him and I miss him just incase he's listening: )

Born in Newton heath in 1930 he was head of the family when war broke out, as my grandfather was in the war. My dad had 4 sisters and two brothers, both brothers, uncle Stanley and uncle James were united fans. My dad Paul saw the light and was a City fan.

I have some wonderful memories with my dad, first taking me fishing to Hollingworth lake aged 6. A copper stopped us very early morning and asked my dad's business as Hindley and Brady we're still fresh in peoples minds. He told the cop we were going fishing and I was asked if he was my dad and were going fishing. I nodded nervously and this appeased the policeman enough to wish us happy fishing. We caught a few roach n' perch on the shallow end and I was hooked on fishing there and then. He took me to City also at a young age, only 6 or 7 when I first walked up the Kippax steps but was overawed by the occasion, and it really bugs me that I cannot think who my first game was against.

When my mum and dad got married they lived in Oldham where my mum was born. My dad liked his sport and would take me fishing, City, ORLFC to Watersheddings, highest and bloody coldest ground in the country, well it felt like it when we had a proper January winter. Stood there, pie in one hand, Bovril in the other, teeth chattering and icy breath! He also became fond of Oldham athletic (when I was older) and we would go and watch latics when fixtures allowed. But City was my first love and I begged him to take me to away games, he duly obliged, I was a lucky lad. Leeds away was my first away aged 12 iirc.

My dad worked many years at Oldham batteries in Denton as a silk screen printer. He also eventually became works shop steward convener, and was the go-between blue collar shop floor and white collar office. Well respected by 2000 men and women back in the day.

One of my favourite fishing spots was on nearby Phillips farm at the end of town lane Denton. We spent many enjoyable days there fishing 3 ponds, figure 8 pond(spit by a thick divide of rat-tail weeds, hence name), roach pit and perch pit. Figure 8 was by far the best pond as it contained a mixed bag including Carp to over 20lb, Crucians to 3.8lb, Roach and perch 2lb plus and beautiful red eyed tench, my best was a whopping 6lb. Brilliant fishing from a tiny 10 peg pond. Figure 8 and perch pit had to make way for the M67 and were filled in, but Roach pit still remains.

And it's where I'm going later to lay a humble bunch of flowers in the corner of the pond under a tree I planted when I scattered his ashes there. I'll say a little prayer: )

This was his favourite song I made sure he got played at the crematorium as we walked out.

RIP dad

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. I've had a very active life and my body is now feeling the pain (I'm only 50).

I'm an ex-Army vet, participated in the Gulf War who enjoyed plenty of sport and participated in as much as I could, I even played against Lee Bradbury whilst in the Army, he was shit then!!!

I have osteoarthritis severely in most joints of the body and in a ton of pain every day.

I work as the Estates Manager for a large trust of schools and I graft, day in, day out.

I love my job and despite the pain, do whatever I can to make things easier for the kids and staff.

I have no regrets in life, even though I'm ceasing up like an engine that hasn't been oiled for ages.

My advice:

Enjoy Life, Enjoy the People, Never Regret because thinking about what could have been just holds you back!!

So true mate, life is precious, do what you can whilst you can. We never know what the fuck is going on in our body and mind. Healthy one minute, diagnosed with something or other the next. That's how vulnerable we are to meeting our maker I think. I too am a semi - FOC aged a young 55; )

Can you please rename this the Life and Death thread as I think It's a good place to post when someone wants to mention deceased loved ones.

Today is the day in 2004 my old fella passed away. Ravaged by dementia and suffering 5-6 strokes.

I was staying in a B&B in Folkestone at the time working away. He died at 6am in a nursing home aged 73. Guess what? I woke up this morning at the same time. I talked out a little telling him I still love him and I miss him just incase he's listening: )

Born in Newton heath in 1930 he was head of the family when war broke out, as my grandfather was in the war. My dad had 4 sisters and two brothers, both brothers, uncle Stanley and uncle James were united fans. My dad Paul saw the light and was a City fan.

I have some wonderful memories with my dad, first taking me fishing to Hollingworth lake aged 6. A copper stopped us very early morning and asked my dad's business as Hindley and Brady we're still fresh in peoples minds. He told the cop we were going fishing and I was asked if he was my dad and were going fishing. I nodded nervously and this appeased the policeman enough to wish us happy fishing. We caught a few roach n' perch on the shallow end and I was hooked on fishing there and then. He took me to City also at a young age, only 6 or 7 when I first walked up the Kippax steps but was overawed by the occasion, and it really bugs me that I cannot think who my first game was against.

When my mum and dad got married they lived in Oldham where my mum was born. My dad liked his sport and would take me fishing, City, ORLFC to Watersheddings, highest and bloody coldest ground in the country, well it felt like it when we had a proper January winter. Stood there, pie in one hand, Bovril in the other, teeth chattering and icy breath! He also became fond of Oldham athletic (when I was older) and we would go and watch latics when fixtures allowed. But City was my first love and I begged him to take me to away games, he duly obliged, I was a lucky lad. Leeds away was my first away aged 12 iirc.

My dad worked many years at Oldham batteries in Denton as a silk screen printer. He also eventually became works shop steward convener, and was the go-between blue collar shop floor and white collar office. Well respected by 2000 men and women back in the day.

One of my favourite fishing spots was on nearby Phillips farm at the end of town lane Denton. We spent many enjoyable days there fishing 3 ponds, figure 8 pond(spit by a thick divide of rat-tail weeds, hence name), roach pit and perch pit. Figure 8 was by far the best pond as it contained a mixed bag including Carp to over 20lb, Crucians to 3.8lb, Roach and perch 2lb plus and beautiful red eyed tench, my best was a whopping 6lb. Brilliant fishing from a tiny 10 peg pond. Figure 8 and perch pit had to make way for the M67 and were filled in, but Roach pit still remains.

And it's where I'm going later to lay a humble bunch of flowers in the corner of the pond under a tree I planted when I scattered his ashes there. I'll say a little prayer: )

This was his favourite song I made sure he got played at the crematorium as we walked out.

RIP dad

Cheers for posting this pal, probably one of the best posts i've ever read on BM. It really makes me think about my own parents and what they have done for me over the years, especially my dad and i probably never really take the time to appreciate it.

Cheers for posting this pal, probably one of the best posts i've ever read on BM. It really makes me think about my own parents and what they have done for me over the years, especially my dad and i probably never really take the time to appreciate it.
Thank you mate. Was something I just wanted to share.
I was almost going to put my post in the excellent 'Let's Talk' thread Bill created, but thought this thread could potentially be the best place to talk about life and death. The let's talk thread is perhaps best to let off a bit of steam about anxiety, stress depression and other similar emotions.
I have no problems talking about my dad's death, it's just something I wanted to share like I said. If it inspires others to do the same, just so you feel a sense of relief, or you want to offer kind words of encouragement or lend an empathetic ear, whatever. Bluemoon is a good chance to feel a sense of bonding, over a nonsense of bickering, which happens all too often in several threads.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.