Lifestyle change.

abu13

Team supported
Gods own
I've been thinking about this for a while and toyed with it a little in the past but as from today i am committing to a lifestyle change.

I have realised recently how out of shape i am, i need to lose some weight and get fit again. I'm just back from walking the dog and i'm knackered. A few years ago i went for 6 months where i gave up meat, i stopped drinking and started to do some running. I lost the best part of 2 stones and felt much better, However slowly i have slipped into the old habits and put it back on.I have been getting a lot of pain and twinges in my chest of late and feel that my health is starting to suffer. I have a stressful job but hope to be in a position to change this over the next couple of years.

So now it's time to commit, and get back into the good habits and hopefully make some bigger changes as i go along my way.

Has anyone else managed to successfully have a complete change in lifestyle and if so what drove the change and how did you keep to it.

I've been thinking about this for a while and toyed with it a little in the past but as from today i am committing to a lifestyle change.

I have realised recently how out of shape i am, i need to lose some weight and get fit again. I'm just back from walking the dog and i'm knackered. A few years ago i went for 6 months where i gave up meat, i stopped drinking and started to do some running. I lost the best part of 2 stones and felt much better, However slowly i have slipped into the old habits and put it back on.I have been getting a lot of pain and twinges in my chest of late and feel that my health is starting to suffer. I have a stressful job but hope to be in a position to change this over the next couple of years.

So now it's time to commit, and get back into the good habits and hopefully make some bigger changes as i go along my way.

Has anyone else managed to successfully have a complete change in lifestyle and if so what drove the change and how did you keep to it.

Good luck.

I did something similar about 3 years ago. Lost one and a half stone mainly as a result of cutting out crap from my diet and using a bit of intermittent fasting (don’t eat after 7pm, don’t eat before 9.30am).

I found that mixing it with exercise (mixture of morning jogging around 5k and walking the same route in the afternoon (if working at home)) helped me stay really focussed and positive.

Over the past 8 months I’ve put on about 7 pound since I haven’t had the time to dedicate the exercise and I’ve lacked the will power to stick to a diet (lots of stressful work things going on right now), but I’m looking to get back into it.

Moderation in everything is the best way, I’m not one to preach as I drank more than i should for many years. Drinking heavily, smoking, a poor diet and lack of exercise are the biggest causes leading to an early grave. I’m having 6 months minimum of the booze (don’t smoke) and two months in I feel so much better, I'm also doing some light exercises at home and walking round a golf course hitting loads of shots once a week. I’ve also started to get fibre into my diet and eat a handful of natural nuts everyday. I’m 60 next week and it’s the most motivated I’ve been for a good few years. Good luck.

A pony tail and a Harley is the de facto midlife crisis reaction. A bit drastic but definitely a life-style change is to refuse to pay for a tv licence and end up in jail.

I have to take high doses of steroids. Plays havoc with the weight. Ballooned up to 19 stone. So, I gave up all refined carbs; no bread, no pasta, no cake, no biscuits, no sugar. Also no potatoes, no cereals etc etc. Went for a long walk every day, despite that being very painful. Two days a week I had a max of 600 calories. Lost 4 stone in 8 months.
Couldnt keep that up for ever, tho. Slowly weight crept up, so doing it again now and this time mostly pain free so have been able ro resume walking in the Dales, tho' up hill is a struggle.!
Avoiding refined, 'white' carbs is key. Plenty of 'good' carbs in fruit and veg. Meat is ok, especially chicken. Go easy on red meat. Fish, nuts, seeds, berries, beans (not in tomato sauce) all good. Alcohol ok in moderation, say 15/20 units a week. Run if you can; I can't, so walk. AND NO TAKEAWAYS or ready meals. Beware so called slimming, low fat meals. Many are full of salt and sugar.
Enjoy !

Good luck with the shift. My wife and family have been significantly affected by loss in recent years and we have certainly, at 50, started to discuss a change of lifestyle pace. Fortunately, our health seems good but we both want to enjoy what we have achieved rather than keep striving for a security that won't arrive if we don't slow down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.