Lifestyle change.

Before I had a new hip I lost four stone in 6 months.
It wasn’t that hard at the time.
I cut out all booze apart from a half a bottle of wine on a Saturday, all cheese, sweet foods, bread.
Ate loads of vegetables.
I snacked on fruit or a handful of nuts if I was peckish.
My daily calorie intake was 2000 calories.

Lost four inches off my waste.

What was interesting was that at first the fat fell off but by the end it was harder and harder to lose any more weight, I plateaued at just under 16 stone. I just could not get any more off. At 6 foot 1 inch though it wasn’t too bad but at 42 inch waste the docs would still say I was obese.

Two years on I’ve put some of it back unfortunately but not a lot.
Simply down to alcohol intake I suspect.

I've been thinking about this for a while and toyed with it a little in the past but as from today i am committing to a lifestyle change.

I have realised recently how out of shape i am, i need to lose some weight and get fit again. I'm just back from walking the dog and i'm knackered. A few years ago i went for 6 months where i gave up meat, i stopped drinking and started to do some running. I lost the best part of 2 stones and felt much better, However slowly i have slipped into the old habits and put it back on.I have been getting a lot of pain and twinges in my chest of late and feel that my health is starting to suffer. I have a stressful job but hope to be in a position to change this over the next couple of years.

So now it's time to commit, and get back into the good habits and hopefully make some bigger changes as i go along my way.

Has anyone else managed to successfully have a complete change in lifestyle and if so what drove the change and how did you keep to it.
I’m with you, fella!

I used to work in the fitness industry and was as fit as anyone could be without being a sportsman, I was obsessed. But I’ve worked in a different sector for over a decade now and fell out of love with training a while back and have got myself out of shape.

Been threatening to get in shape again for ages but it’s never taken off. However I’m newly single and have all the time in the world so what better time to do it?

Currently got a chest infection but when I’m better I’m going to get myself back in shape again and just all round more healthy.

I quit smoking on derby day in November. On the e-cig for now but I’m dropping down on that and will eventually have nowt.

I’m not going to do anything drastic with my diet. I’ll cut out refined carbs, increase water intake and decrease portion size a bit. Oh and I’m going to add more nuts and try and get a wider range of fruit and veg in there.

Training I’m going to do one cardio session and one resistance session a week to ease myself back in and then increase sessions and session intensity as time progresses.

Might try not drinking after the FA Cup final through to the new season but I love going out with the lads for pre- and post-match drinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm around 2 stone over weight. I know this, my knees know this, my Wife definitely knows this!

So...What have I done? Lip service. That's all.

I pushbike to work, 5 miles a day, and then nothing. I have a rowing machine but I don't use it and I should. An hour a day is all it would take. I eat healthily, have to due to the missus having bowel problems so I eat what she eats, but real ale is my killer.

Never been a chocolate fiend so it's just laziness. I have the time to do it. Just need to push myself.

I'm around 2 stone over weight. I know this, my knees know this, my Wife definitely knows this!

So...What have I done? Lip service. That's all.

I pushbike to work, 5 miles a day, and then nothing. I have a rowing machine but I don't use it and I should. An hour a day is all it would take. I eat healthily, have to due to the missus having bowel problems so I eat what she eats, but real ale is my killer.

Never been a chocolate fiend so it's just laziness. I have the time to do it. Just need to push myself.

Me too.

Needed an op last year. Stopped drinking for 5 months, lost 1.5 stone to add to the stone I'd already lost through walking. 18m later boozing too much, eating too much and not doing enough exercise.

I've always been fairly lazy!

I have to take high doses of steroids. Plays havoc with the weight. Ballooned up to 19 stone. So, I gave up all refined carbs; no bread, no pasta, no cake, no biscuits, no sugar. Also no potatoes, no cereals etc etc. Went for a long walk every day, despite that being very painful. Two days a week I had a max of 600 calories. Lost 4 stone in 8 months.
Couldnt keep that up for ever, tho. Slowly weight crept up, so doing it again now and this time mostly pain free so have been able ro resume walking in the Dales, tho' up hill is a struggle.!
Avoiding refined, 'white' carbs is key. Plenty of 'good' carbs in fruit and veg. Meat is ok, especially chicken. Go easy on red meat. Fish, nuts, seeds, berries, beans (not in tomato sauce) all good. Alcohol ok in moderation, say 15/20 units a week. Run if you can; I can't, so walk. AND NO TAKEAWAYS or ready meals. Beware so called slimming, low fat meals. Many are full of salt and sugar.
Enjoy !

15-20 units is not moderation - it’s like the upper recommended limits

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.