Lifestyle change.

I do it myself, I had to go and completely educate myself from zero.

I use a company called degiro which is the cheapest around. Right now I'm about 5% up but I was far higher(around 13%), I made one bad investment(bought Lyft on it's opening day trading on the market and it tanked) and one risky one that will hopefully pay off soon(Boots shares crashed so I lumped in as it's a historically good company and it should go back up this year). I've most of my money in oil as I bought Exxon shares when Trump's silly comments crashed the market on Christmas Eve, and I've a big chunk in an American Hotel REIT.

If clueless and you just want to lump in, buy an ETF index fund. The Vanguard S&P 500 ETF is the safest bet as it allows you to own a small share of the top 500 companies. So some may struggle at times but the fund will always have it's winners.

My rule is if it doesn't pay a dividend I don't want it. Others take a different approach, but again if you just want to lump in I'd look at some ETF's on offer.
I may well see how my funds go after not wasting so much and after a year see if I can get into this sort of stuff.

In the meantime I’ll read up on it and familiarise myself with what’s what.

Is there anywhere in particular I should look to educate myself?

I may well see how my funds go after not wasting so much and after a year see if I can get into this sort of stuff.

In the meantime I’ll read up on it and familiarise myself with what’s what.

Is there anywhere in particular I should look to educate myself?

There’s some great YouTube videos called Financial Education & Learn to Invest that are absolutely brilliant. Also a guy named Graham Stephan who doesn’t do stocks but is all about being clever with cash.

I read Tony Robbins money book which is a little US centric but worth a read and once you start getting a feel do what I did. Give yourself an imaginary 10k and pick 10K worth of pretend stocks and do a dry run for a year. Act like it’s real money on real stock and you’ll learn a lot!

There’s some great YouTube videos called Financial Education & Learn to Invest that are absolutely brilliant. Also a guy named Graham Stephan who doesn’t do stocks but is all about being clever with cash.

I read Tony Robbins money book which is a little US centric but worth a read and once you start getting a feel do what I did. Give yourself an imaginary 10k and pick 10K worth of pretend stocks and do a dry run for a year. Act like it’s real money on real stock and you’ll learn a lot!
Ah, great idea.

Cheers soldier!

Another lifestyle change I’m going to make is to stop spending... waisting!.. money on shit.

I don’t need to buy a coffee shop coffee every morning for £3 a pop. I don’t need to put five bets on a week (especially as only one a month comes in!). I don’t need a 41st pair of trainers. I don’t need to shop at Tesco/Sainsbury’s and can go to Aldi instead.

I don’t need loads of shit that I currently spend money on!
I hear you brother, I hear you! It’s unnecessary spending because we don’t need any of that shit. I’m exactly the same. What I will say though is don’t beat yourself up too much about it if those things bring you some form of joy. I love buying coffee when I’m passing through town. I also love sitting in with a brew and biscuits watching my Acca fold on soccer sat. It’s life innit. I know consumerism isn’t great and we should save our money etc, but if it makes you happy for a bit, do it. We all graft hard.

As a caveat to that, if you are crying as you hand over your money at the till maybe it’s time to make a change haha

Starting a diet after Sunday Night.
I’d give yourself one cheat day next Saturday :).

I suppose I’ve sort of had a lifestyle change myself in the past 12 months, I’ve gone down from 18 stone 11 to my current weight 16 stone 10. Generally my diet is good apart from 2 day binges every couple of weeks which seems to be the thing halting any further progress.

I started Insanity max 30 two weeks ago and have lost 5ibs in this time so other than tomorrow, the FA Cup final and the nations league they’ll be no beer for me. Aiming to get under 16 stone in the next six weeks which shouldn’t be too unrealistic. I’ve always been pretty fit compared to my weight which helps with intense workouts.

Another lifestyle change I’m going to make is to stop spending... waisting!.. money on shit.

I don’t need to buy a coffee shop coffee every morning for £3 a pop. I don’t need to put five bets on a week (especially as only one a month comes in!). I don’t need a 41st pair of trainers. I don’t need to shop at Tesco/Sainsbury’s and can go to Aldi instead.

I don’t need loads of shit that I currently spend money on!

How’s this been going for you? I’m saving for a house myself and the amount of rubbish I spend my money on is ridiculous.

I’d give yourself one cheat day next Saturday :).

I suppose I’ve sort of had a lifestyle change myself in the past 12 months, I’ve gone down from 18 stone 11 to my current weight 16 stone 10. Generally my diet is good apart from 2 day binges every couple of weeks which seems to be the thing halting any further progress.

I started Insanity max 30 two weeks ago and have lost 5ibs in this time so other than tomorrow, the FA Cup final and the nations league they’ll be no beer for me. Aiming to get under 16 stone in the next six weeks which shouldn’t be too unrealistic. I’ve always been pretty fit compared to my weight which helps with intense workouts.

How’s this been going for you? I’m saving for a house myself and the amount of rubbish I spend my money on is ridiculous.
Well I’ve not been spending any money recently because watching City has cleared me out completely haha.

I have 80p to my name until payday next Wednesday!

I’ve also not started the ‘getting in shape’ yet as I’ve had this chesty cough for a month and was waiting until that went.

Think I’ll be doing all this from after the FA Cup final next week. Get it all going over the Summer. May as well now I’m single and don’t have any responsibilities other than work and bills and no plans until August over the football off-season.

A pony tail and a Harley is the de facto midlife crisis reaction. A bit drastic but definitely a life-style change is to refuse to pay for a tv licence and end up in jail.
Nobody has ever been imprisoned for refusing to buy a tv licence.

They were imprisoned for refusing to pay the fine they received after being convicted.

I'm sure there might be a thread related to this but in the spirit of lifestyle changes, does anybody on here carry out matched betting?

Ahead of the pandemic I did quite a bit or reading in to it and gave it some thought. It seemed a legit way to accumulate some extra funds albeit at a grind. There was even an article in the Guardian promoting this as a mechanism to make money.

The only risk is human error in placing the wrong bet/messing up the odds but I've seen there are online tools for a monthly subscription to assist with a lot of the admin. The only other risk is betting companies barring you from their service or free bets drying up.

Have you seen what that snake oil salesman's worth....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.