Ligue 1

BigOscar

After seeing the best team by a mile in Ligue 1 look pretty unimpressive last night, what sort of level do people think the French league is these days? As even with PSG inflating the leagues coefficient, they have now just dropped behind Portugal as the 5th best league in Europe according to the coefficients. Frequently lumped in as one of the "big 5 leagues" when people discuss players and stats, do they really have any right to claim to be in that group? Without PSG's billions, the rest of the league has performed pretty terribly in Europe for a while now, while also showing it cannot even put up a fight against a PSG side that is far from unbeatable.

For me they have dropped out of the big leagues and into the second tier of leagues, along with Portugal, Holland and Russia, nowhere near the levels of the others.

France hasn't been a top 5 league since the early 90s, the Portuguese clubs have consistently out performed them.

PSG aside, bottom half of the PL and top half of the Championship would be my guess.

Let's laugh at Ligue 1.

The league will be sponsored by Uber Eats instead of Conforoma and will be named Ligue 1 Uber Eats.

The laughable thing about this (written in L'Equipe but let's see if it materialise) is that before any kick off, an Uber driver would come and deliver the ball.

It is good they give 32 M instead of 20 M currently but it is still hilarious.

Their league may be a joke but their infrastructure for bringing kids through is world class unlike the shambles that is the English FA

Let's laugh at Ligue 1.

The league will be sponsored by Uber Eats instead of Conforoma and will be named Ligue 1 Uber Eats.

The laughable thing about this (written in L'Equipe but let's see if it materialise) is that before any kick off, an Uber driver would come and deliver the ball.

It is good they give 32 M instead of 20 M currently but it is still hilarious.

Is there a chance that Nice may start to challenge given the fact that Jim Ratcliffe is set to take them over? I think PSG need more competition in that league to help them in the CL.

What French youth development like in Ligue 1 @Parisian? I get the impression the league is used to draw in talented players from French speaking former African colonies more than actual player development.

If my view us wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

What French youth development like in Ligue 1 @Parisian? I get the impression the league is used to draw in talented players from French speaking former African colonies more than actual player development.

If my view us wrong I'm happy to be corrected.
French youth development is prolly one of the best in Europe and in the world.
About the draw of France for french speaking former African colonies, it is quite normal.There is still a link between them and the old metropole. There are also some agreements that allow some nationalities to be considered not "extra-communautaires" (they are not considered as non EU strangers to explain it grossly).
We can see the same with Portugal that enjoys some special agreements with Brazil.

However, there is a huge misconception about the "black" players of/in France. The vast majority of them are french national citizens. They are just descendants from former colonies migrants. Most of them were born in France, raised in France and went through french football academies. For example, you can find several players who have never put a foot in the country of their parents or grandparents and who chose to play under that flag (Algerian, Tunisian, Moroccan, Centrafrican, etc.). Either because they feel proud to represent their ancestors, either because they know they won't get any chance to play for France. This had caused an issue when Laurent Blanc was the national team coach : he wanted to put a quota on these players that could enjoy a double nationality because France was doing all the work and the country of their ancestors would just take all the benefit.

I think in French national team, only Umtiti and Mandanda were not born in France. And the former moved in France when he was two years old while the other was a teenager.
In Portugal national team, you have the case of Renato Sanches who is born in Portugal but whose ancestors are from former colony Capo Verde and Sao Tomé y Principé. You have also players born in ex colonies like William Carvalho or Danilo Pereira.

The most accurate statement would be to say that french youth development system has polished the talent from people who had good raw talent. That talent is probably related to their origin, due to good genetics for that sport (they are athletes), and also their social status (most football players come from not privileged family background and we know what the demographics for the less privileged people are; Lloris and Gourcuff were often singled out for that).

This also highlights the problem french youth development was facing : as Ligue 1 is quite a physical league, they used to select young players that could produce those athletic players able to fit in their professional side. Some players like Griezmann were discarded in french system because of his physical build. He was saved by going to Spain who likes those tiny skillful players.

Last edited:
Is there a chance that Nice may start to challenge given the fact that Jim Ratcliffe is set to take them over? I think PSG need more competition in that league to help them in the CL.
I really don't know.

This whole takeover situation is a bit obscure. First, they said he was really interested in buying the club but the chinese owners didn't want to sell. Now, they are saying he is on the verge of buying it (for 100 M€, which is a very high price for a french club, maybe the highest price ever).

From what has been reported, he seems really serious because he plans to buy the newly built stadium of Nice. The city of Nice is ready to sell due to the cost and it is worth around 200/250 M€. All in all, it would be 350 M€ investment from his part. You have to know that it is rare for a club in France to own the stadium (because the cost is too high or because the city doesn't want to sell the existing stadium to the club and/or doesn't allow you to buy the field to build a new one like in Paris). Lyon is one of the few who own their stadium and they are forced to sell every year their prospects to balance their finances. This means that it could be a big advantage for Nice. Unless the owner decides to make the club pay back the cost of the stadium over the years, which is a possibility.

The very big problem for Nice challenging PSG is FFP unfortunately. As soon as they will qualify for Europe, which they should if they want to challenge PSG, UEFA will go into their accounts and tell them they have to sell to satisfy the break even rule. Nice has its charm and appeal but it is not a global name and brand like Paris. France is quite centralized country so the money/power is in Paris and it will always draw more interest and money than Nice. Nice has a solid fanbase. Their local rival is Monaco and, despite Monaco richer history, Nice is well more supported in the region. If Nice was becoming a really prominent force in France, it would also collide with Olympique de Marseille in the south. OM is/was the most supported club in France with PSG. And you can see that, in spite of the initial investment from their US owner (200 M€), Marseille didn't succeed in getting in CL qualifying spot and is in very deep trouble with FFP.

This is the irony : people want FFP to stop PSG from growing but they soon understand that, unless they are Lyon that has always relied on those financial principles before FFP was even born (and which is why they are so supportive of that reform), FFP will stop them to invest and grow quickly enough to challenge PSG.

That said, French clubs are not rich. If Nice invests the money smartly, they could cement a top 4 or top 5 place easily in the next future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.