"Likely" that government contacted Libya militant group associated with Arena bomber

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 7evens, 8 Sep 2019.

1. 7evens

7evens

This piece is over a year old. Not exactly surprising that it hasn't become public knowledge but, erm, wow. Has this popped up on the forum before? Please delete/move as appropriate if it has.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/revealed-uk-admits-contact-libyan-group-linked-manchester-bomber

2. 7evens

7evens

More information here.

https://thegrayzone.com/2018/08/01/libya-blowback-cia-uk-navy-manchester-suicide-bomber/

3. Its a matter of public record that the CIA contacted Theresa May's Home Office (at the time) saying that these guys were planning something in Manchester.

4. 7evens

7evens

I feel like the public should somehow be angrier be about this. Although I suppose this explains why there's a push for the investigation to be made into an inquiry, so they can bury this stuff deeper under piles of paper and bureaucracy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49608387

5. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

I posted lots about this at the time of the bombing, all backed up with conclusive evidence (not from conspiracy sites), nobody batted an eyelid.

Sadly I’m not sure you’ll get much of a response from this thread neither.

6. Trevor Morley's Tache

Trevor Morley's Tache

Manchester Arena should never have happened, but it did. The security services got it wrong big time.

Our security services are stretched beyond belief. They simply do not have the resources to follow every single piece of intelligence and everything is a judgement call.

To prevent all terrorist attacks they would have to be correct 100% of the time. Terrorist only have to get it right once.

Ripping the security services apart after every successful terrorist attack is counterproductive, as it does more harm than good in most cases.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2019
  7. gandalfthebrave

gandalfthebrave

Nothing surprises me about this case. After all, the Royal Navy gave Abedi a lift from Tripoli to Malta where he got a flight back to the UK. Absolutely nuts to be honest.

It does take some serious mental gymnastics, however, for MI5 to be blamed for an Islamic terror attack.

We all owe those guys a heck of a lot for every plot they foil, the majority of which we never even hear about. As the previous poster said, MI5 have to get lucky every time. Abedi only had to get lucky the once, and look what happened.