Limerick flights

ell

Managed to find some cheap morning flights but cant find anything for cheap and in the evening the only one Ive found is Aer Lingus but thats no good at 1540. Has anyone else found cheap flights home in the evening?

Can do both Manchester and Liverpool as they are a similar distance away for me.

Cheers

Try a flight to Dublin and then train from Heuston (sp) station to Limerick (c. 2hrs iirc).

Be careful though, Limerick is rough as fuck. Didn't used to be called Stab City for nothing.

Funny you should say that, Strongbow.
Thomond Pk sells out a dozen times a year - & has done for the last ten yrs - I can't think of a single report of visitor, for any of these events, encountering trouble.
In fact, if you research it, you'll find a great deal of positive comment from actual visitors to the city, rather than the lazy hacks and lousy comedians who perpetuate that nickname.
You're right, though. Be careful - just like you have to be careful anywhere else.

Carstairs said:
His flight in the morning is fine,
then watching the game drinking wine.
but there's no cheap planes flyin,
help him out cos he's cryin,
ell's got himself into a bind!
I laughed

mad4city said:
Funny you should say that, Strongbow.
Thomond Pk sells out a dozen times a year - & has done for the last ten yrs - I can't think of a single report of visitor, for any of these events, encountering trouble.
In fact, if you research it, you'll find a great deal of positive comment from actual visitors to the city, rather than the lazy hacks and lousy comedians who perpetuate that nickname.
You're right, though. Be careful - just like you have to be careful anywhere else.
Only speaking as I've seen it. Was on a supplier visit to Dell and at the station and was shocked at how brazen a drug deal was being made in the foyer - probably only a minor amount of whatever drug it was, not talking suitcase fulls, just your average small timer doing a bit of business - was shocked nonetheless considering it was only about 1300hrs.

Also got threatened on the way back to hotel from Clohessy's the night after. Might have been the accent? Not sure, certainly wasn't looking for bother. Must have just been unlucky.

Been all over Ireland (north and south) for business and pleasure and Limerick has been my worst experience unfortunately. Sadly lived up to what you say is a stereotype.

Just called to mind my honeymoon too. Drove down from the North to Cork and the route we took was via Sligo - Galway etc and Limerick shocked me then when I saw a road sign with a swastika sprayed on it just outside the city. Only time I've seen it in Ireland but then again, I might just have been skirting a rough area, I dunno?

I know Munster play at Thomond and I'm sure it's all as you say, just relating my experience.

I spent a few months in limerick about 6 years ago working over there. We were told by the local lads on site to stay in the city centre and all will be fine, they told us not to go over the bridge or into the suburbs. To be fair the city centre was fine and we had some great nights out. Did drive through the suburbs a few times and u could understand why they said to stay away. Was stab city now shot gun city

Fair enough lads, ye got me there.

There are indeed people who do drugs deals in Limerick and there are also some rough suburbs (I should know. I grew up in, not one but, two of them.). Oh, and there's some random guy who once sprayed a swastika on a road sign on the outskirts of town.

There is also a chamber orchestra, three major museums (one including Renoirs, Picassos and da Vinci's), an iconic sports stadium, two magnificent cathedrals (one of which has been nominated as a world heritage site or some such thing) and it's the place gave birth to one of the world's most popular art forms. It's also the birthplace of an Emmy award winning actor, two actors with Hollywood stars, a Pulitzer prize winning author and several other authors of notes, a Tony winning composer, a few Grammy winners, one president of the League of Nations and one president of the EU, and the odd legendary rugby player... to name a few things off the top of my head.

You say you're calling it as you see it, I say it all depends what you're looking for.

Sure Limerick had a big problem with a drug feud a little while ago.There's no denying that. That has also largely abated (thankfully) with a string of high profile arrests in the last two years. The Dublin drug feud was running at a rate of one life a week last year. Did it have anything to do with City playing a friendly, last year? You know it didn't.

One more thing:
I am genuinely sorry somebody threatened you on the way back to the hotel, though. If I'd known it was yourself, I'd have just let you pass unhindered!

:-)

mad4city said:
Fair enough lads, ye got me there.

There are indeed people who do drugs deals in Limerick and there are also some rough suburbs (I should know. I grew up in, not one but, two of them.). Oh, and there's some random guy who once sprayed a swastika on a road sign on the outskirts of town.

There is also a chamber orchestra, three major museums (one including Renoirs, Picassos and da Vinci's), an iconic sports stadium, two magnificent cathedrals (one of which has been nominated as a world heritage site or some such thing) and it's the place gave birth to one of the world's most popular art forms. It's also the birthplace of an Emmy award winning actor, two actors with Hollywood stars, a Pulitzer prize winning author and several other authors of notes, a Tony winning composer, a few Grammy winners, one president of the League of Nations and one president of the EU, and the odd legendary rugby player... to name a few things off the top of my head.

You say you're calling it as you see it, I say it all depends what you're looking for.

Sure Limerick had a big problem with a drug feud a little while ago.There's no denying that. That has also largely abated (thankfully) with a string of high profile arrests in the last two years. The Dublin drug feud was running at a rate of one life a week last year. Did it have anything to do with City playing a friendly, last year? You know it didn't.

One more thing:
I am genuinely sorry somebody threatened you on the way back to the hotel, though. If I'd known it was yourself, I'd have just let you pass unhindered!

:-)
Quality last line mate! Sorry for insulting Limerick but honestly, it's the only place I've had that happen to me in Ireland and perhaps lazily though, it's true, it is pretty rough here. The reason for pointing out the swastika thing is because it genuinely shocked me (maybe I don't get out enough?) and had never seen it anywhere else in Ireland nor have seen it again anywhere else in Ireland since (I've been over to Ireland at least 3 times a year over the last 13 years for holidays, see family and managed a few business trips too).

I don't look for trouble anywhere, I go to enjoy myself, but I clearly must have just been unlucky on the nights I was in Limerick. All this is going back to 2010 so you've had a good 2 years to catch yourselves on ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.