Linux - pro's and cons

M M

mat

A friend recommended using it rather than microsoft windows.

Anyone had any bad experiences with it or is it the mutts nuts?

Opinions please.

Its a ballache to setup...i don't like it. You literally have to specify everything you want on it manually, or atleast i think you do.

I don't even know anyone that uses it, Security wise it's brilliant - but for entertainment n such...i'm not convinced. Most companies use it on there servers, which is what i'd symbolise it with.

Your best reading up on it but for desktop usage your best sticking with Windows or a Mac.

It used to be a nightmare and strictly for geeks only but times change.

The newer versions of it are very easy to set up provided you have hardware that is fairly standard or not very very new. It has a good graphical user interface at least as useable as Windows/Mac OS. If you get a good distribution you get a lot of very useful, free software. It is much less resource hungry than Windows so breathes new life into an older CPU with less memory. A decent sized hard disk is important, though, as it will want to create different partitions to manage various files. With the OpenOffice software you can edit and save all kinds of Microsoft Office format docs and there are Linux versions of most things like Acrobat Reader etc.

It is attacked less by virus writers and tends to have fewer security flaws than Windows.

The downsides of it are that it won't neccessarily cope with particular Windows applications you might want to use - particularly games. You can get emulation software to run a lot of stuff, but usually that has a performance hit compared to "just" running windows.

You can bung a second hard disk in your PC and install Linux onto that and it will set up a dual-booting system for you so you can choose whether to boot Windows or Linux on start-up.

You'll need to do some research before going for a distribution. There are loads of different versions and some are better than others at doing various things. You also need to make sure you have some way of burning ISO images to CD or DVD (eg Nero) to convert the downloads into bootable and useable media to do the install.

If you have (or can obtain) a spare PC that's about 3 years old you could set yourself up a system that will perform really well and give it a few months trial. It is a bit like changing car brand - if you have driven a Ford for ages and swap to a Peugeot then you need to get used to the differences before you can compare them properly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.