Liverpool (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've no complaints with the disallowed goal & Cancelo was probably fucked regardless of what he did for the Salah goal. I had a feeling of foreboding, because of the starting 11 & formation, & so it played out.

I said at the start of this campaign that Gomez, Akanji, Philips & Alvarez would be key this season, because the thing I feared most was injuries & suspensions etc.

With Walker out Cancelo would step in, but our original hope was to have Cucurella as LB. Gomez fucked his chances of starting after being sent off on Tuesday, & there was also probably a fear of Salah tearing him a new arsehole. Personally, I'd have started Akanji as RB & moved Cancelo to LB.

The formation seemed a bit all over the place & it left KDB on the periphery marooned on the right. Again, personally I'd have gone with Grealish, Haaland & Foden across the front, Rodri, Silva & KDB in midfield & Cancelo, Laporte, Dias & Akanji in defence.

Shit happens, we pick ourselves up, redouble our efforts & go again. Fuckin gutted...

They've put out a statement condemning songs sung about Hillsborough from the away end and graffiti in the concourse. Which is fair enough.

No statement condemning the coin throwing though.
Remember loads of Munich chants at that dump up to 1989. Oh and 27 seconds of silence managed at HM Queen death. Shameful inbred cunts.

Virtually every time we play at their place we gift them a fucking goal. How the fuck can WE have an attacking free kick, and once its taken the next touch we get is getting out of the net, joke goal and awful defending from Cancelo, the last man can not defend like that.
Not defending his mistake in the slightest, I get we had an attacking free kick beforehand which like every set piece today was absolutely shit but Akanji or Ake should be covering there for me with their centre back experience, leaving Salah one on one with arguably our worst ‘defensive defender’ was a tactical mistake for me.

You probably missed the context then if you didn't watch the full game.
As you missed the game what happened was the referee has been letting the game flow allowing contact and physical challenges, he spots two players tussling for the ball, one uses his arm and upper body to unbalance the opposition player who loses balance and grabs the opposite players shirt while stumbling. The stumbling player plays the ball on and a goal is scored. The VAR team then decides to refer the referee to look at the monitor to review the goal decision he has made due to this tussling for the ball. The contact and "shirt pull" was nothing more extreme than had been going on all game and had no effect in the outcome of the fight for the ball (the player who was 'held back' was already falling and had lost control of the ball at that point).
In your opinion was the VAR operator right to call this as a "clear and obvious" error and to use his powers to effectively re-referee an ongoing game? If a referee has allowed a physical and robust match does the VAR operative have the authority to overrule the onfield referee when a goal has been scored after a period of play that has involved the same level of physical play that has been ongoing all match? At what point does an onfield referees decisions in allowing a physical contest become "clear and obvious" errors?
I agree with the Thiago red card though, he was flying in and would probably have deserved a yellow but as he slipped it wasn't in his control at that point so no card required in my opinion.

I thought Haaland forcefully pulls him back on his shirt In the lead up and that’s simply a foul and it looked pretty clear and obvious on the reply (soon as it was shown in pub everyone said ‘fuck sake that’s a foul it won’t be given) ‘fuck sake’ because even down in Kent no one wants Liverpool to win
- so yes I do think it’s right VAR intervene when they spot a foul in lead up to goal regardless if the ref has let a lot go throughout the game

Regardless of VAR , the referee still makes the ultimate call and he saw it on monitor and gave the decision

* where I am unsure though, is at what phase do they bring the game back, as a lot happened after that Haaland foul, so that side of argument could be argued more

**also, again, just to add, I was tagged in to give my opinion

Show me a top draw LB who is a shit hot defender???

Problem is all these RB or LB are now wing backs who are far far better going fwd & when it comes to the odd game & they have to defend more they become unstuck & get torn a new arsehole by these top FWD's in the world today

Alphonso Davies, Dani Alvez, Walker, Trent/Robertson, James, Peredes etc all love going fwd but all have defensive frailties

It's only a problem when it happens in these big games otherwise Cancelo has 9/10 game week in week out

If we had signed Cucurella, Raum or Chillwell it wouldn't matter imo

I would have Cancelo all day every day even if we see the odd fuck up

We had chances to win those games whether Cancelo fucked it or not just like the games in the last few seasons problem is as a team & that inc Pep we fucking mess it up & we can't seem to shake it off

Has it cost us the league today no but in Cup football it certainly does

Take our chances & we are talking about 16 point gap.

Move on
Totally agree, but I would add that for people to expect 100% perfection 100% of the time are going to continue to be disappointed for the rest of their lives. It would also soon become very boring if we won every match we ever played.

Errors are part of the game, because it's played and refereed by humans. They need to sort out what is a foul and what is a clear and obvious error though, and who is actually referring the game.

I think the "clear and obvious" stuff is a bit of a red herring, and has taken on a mythology of its own. The ref wouldn't have seen the shirt pull in real time. He was told to look at it, and when you see it on the replay it's a foul every day of the week.
If it's a foul "every day of the week" why don't we see huge numbers of penalties from pretty much every corner taken on the game? Or loads of free kicks every 5 minutes in every game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.