Liverpool (a) post-match thread

We’ve done it before several times when we’ve been a fair way behind in the league. It’s sort of what we do when it comes to winning the league. In one sense the deficit needs to be viewed as 6 points because we can beat them at the etihad... tons of time to make that gap up and Liverpool have a habit of blowing it

We’ve done it before several times when we’ve been a fair way behind in the league. It’s sort of what we do when it comes to winning the league. In one sense the deficit needs to be viewed as 6 points because we can beat them at the etihad... tons of time to make that gap up and Liverpool have a habit of blowing it
The key will be staying in the hunt until Laporte returns.

With a strong and stable defence we can win game after game. At the moment if we go away to top 6 sides, I can see us conceding.

WHen Laporte got injured we asked the question whether we could survive until he returned. We are more or less on the brink now. Some people seem to want to blame VAR, but for me City had all these games and made defensive errors and didn't finish our chances. We have just been weakened to a level where we are not good enough.

We need to approach every game like a Cup Final now, and see where it takes us. I don't think it will be long until we see Sane and Laporte back on the training pitch. That is my next target. To be within 9 points of Liverpool when they return.

I try to wait until I’ve slept on it before commenting after a defeat.

Yes, the handball decision was a double wammy, denying us a clear penalty and leading to their goal. Disappointing but hardly a surprise to any of us. More worrying, for me, is the current malaise in the team:

Bravo is terrible and rarely saves anything. He needs to go; playing a 34 year old not very tall DM at centre back because Otamendi is awful is not how a top club operates. The injury to Laporte is unfortunate but had to happen sometime. Not reinforcing in the close season has been the mistake we all thought it was. Stones has the attention span of a gnat and should be leaving alongside Bravo and Ota. Like most of us, I am desperate for academy players like Angelino to succeed but he is a poor defender though looked good going forward yesterday. Mendy seems out of favour with Pep and I wonder if his time with us is coming to an end?

On top of our defensive woes, David is getting older as is Kun. I love Gabby but he is still making the same mistakes as he did two seasons ago, particularly but not exclusively offsides. He doesn’t look a guaranteed replacement for Kun. Bernardo is understandably out of sorts. Gundogan has a role to play but not when battle commences. With Rodri fit and Leroy seemingly off to Bayern anyway, we really only have Laporte and Zinch unavailable. That should be manageable for any club.

Winning the league in consecutive seasons was a magnificent achievement but exhausting for the players. Given the ageing squad members, this season might be a good time to blood some of the youngsters. Finding out who is good enough before deciding on transfer targets in the summer seems a sensible way to proceed.

I haven’t given up on the league though. We rarely get anything from Anfield and it hasn’t much affected our trophy count. Continuing to do the same things expecting a different outcome though is a definition of madness. Perhaps we need to accept our current defensive limitations and adopt a more cautious approach?
Best post so far on this thread. Top notch.

Liverpool will drop points in games people don't expect them to because they don't play teams off the pitch. If you survive that initial 10 - 20 minute blitz at the start you have every chance of taking points from them a la Aston Villa(almost), even f****** United did it!

A few injuries would also be useful given they seem to be the only team in the PL that doesn't get any at all!

You seen how many late winners they get?

I want to write maybe an unpopular opinion but it needs writing.

What I dislike most about following football is the attitude of City supporters towards their own players. At times it's like witnessing a rabid pack of animals turning on one of their own because of an injury or weakness.

I don't go to games very often these days mostly because I can't afford it and follow games on tv. I was at a game a few years back, City were 4 - 0 up and Jo came on. You should have heard it. Nothing but venom towards him before he had even touched the ball. I've heard similar towards Samaras and Mike Sheron but undoubtedly this has happened many times towards many of players. Malcolm Allison! used to complain about it.

Currently that attitude exists towards Bravo. All this labelling of Bravo as "a clown" is nothing but vicious, unwarranted criticism.

Bravo is a human being. He is doing his best. He is the best option we have right now. He has the backing of his manager.

Against Liverpool he played well. His distribution - which before the game I was worried about - was brilliant and I only counted one misplaced pass in an otherwise immaculate display of distribution.

I have read the opinion he was at fault for the 3rd goal. Really? The cross should have been defended by Angelino and the header should have been defended by Walker. You could say at least there was an accumulation of defensive errors before it came to Bravo's attempt at a save. From the back view Bravo got his hand on it but could not keep it out. It would have been extraordinary to have kept it out. It certainly was not a howler. Maybe Gordon Banks could have kept it out but the save he made that was similar against Brazil has been hailed as one of the greatest saves of all time.

When supporters get on the back of their own team, collectively or individually, all they achieve is to make things more stressful and more difficult for their own team. I am a football supporter and I know things get frustrating and expressing that frustration is part of the game. But in my view the criticism that players get is often predetermined and mindless. If you want to keep having go at certain City players because you know - better then the manager - that they aren't good enough and you can't express that criticism as a reasoned opinion but have to use derogatory terms maybe you should "support" someone else. You will not be missed.
I have a strong feeling that his saves to goals ratio is appalling. That may be a legacy of a poor first season, or it may be representative of ongoing weakness. Was he at fault for any of the goals against Liverpool? I'm not sure. Other players like Gundogan made bigger errors.

Gundogan seems to be on a mission to end Bravo's career: see the careless error which led to Bravo's sending off in midweek, and then the pathetic clearance for the crucial opening goal. I am sorry that you will not like me having a go at another player but you cannot make repetitive errors that lead to goals or sendings off in top-class football.

We are not at the level we were in the run in last season, games were under control pretty much from the start. The fact is we've still done enough this season to win every one of our games but we're unbelievably wasteful in-front of goal. It's infuriating when watching Liverpool who are pretty ruthless.

Obviously losing Laporte has been erm massive, but it's at the other end where I feel we're doing the most harm to ourselves.

Should have played KDB deeper alongside Rodri, put Phil in where KDB played and not even put the absolutely gutless Gundogan on the bench.

ok its a loss and losing to them hurts but ????

they had there best 11 out on the park and VAR and match officials and city still looked the better outfit, and if we took a couple of them good chances it would have been close and easy could have got a draw, yes last 15 minutes we was all over them, but they just sat back and lets us have the ball because they had the 3 goal lead, but my point is when will pep ever have our best 11 out on the field, its crazy to think how we won back to back titles and 2 league cups and fa cup and 2 community shields when we did not have a left back or wing back and KDB out and aguero in and out jesus patchy or somebody else with a injury

so before we start to lick our wounds after we got a right doing over by the officials and not the liverpool team give pep a little credit please, no other club would have won 7 titles in the last 3 seasons with the injuries we have had, and i can say 100% liverpool would not be even close to us never mind 9 points clear if they had major injuries like us

give pep the headache of being able to pick his strongest 11 vs klopp and liverpool best 11 and we win hands down, well we do if the officials do get involved

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.