Liverpool (a) post-match thread

We’ve done it before several times when we’ve been a fair way behind in the league. It’s sort of what we do when it comes to winning the league. In one sense the deficit needs to be viewed as 6 points because we can beat them at the etihad... tons of time to make that gap up and Liverpool have a habit of blowing it

If it is 6 going into February, with them coming back to ours with hopefully a full strength side plus a signing or two in January, then game on.

I look up and down their fixtures, though, and the only thing working in our favour is the congestion and the travel. However, this Pep side weirdly seem to be at their most dangerous and capable of putting a proper run together when their backs are to the wall and when they have something to prove. That Chelsea game is going to be so, so important.

To be honest, I thought we'd blown it weeks ago on that weekend when they got the last minute winner v Leicester and we lost at home to Wolves the following day. A potential 3 point gap became 8, but then United got that unexpected point against them and Liverpool's performances - like ours - have left a fair bit to be desired, even though they've been consistently getting the results.

After that Wolves defeat, I expected the lead to be into double figures by the time yesterday's fixture was completed so for it to be 9 points does give me a glimmer of hope, but like others have said we need to ensure that lead doesn't grow any more over the coming weeks and we need to be still within touch once Laporte comes back. That's going to be a tall order given our defensive frailties but we do have it in us to go on a long winning run.

Let's see where we all are after Liverpool have gone to Leicester over Christmas.

If we are within six, it's essentially a win again for us at the Etihad and those rat bastards picking up a couple of draws elsewhere.

As I say, we have some difficult fixtures to overcome in these next few weeks, if we come through them, we stand a very good chance again.

The key will be staying in the hunt until Laporte returns.

With a strong and stable defence we can win game after game. At the moment if we go away to top 6 sides, I can see us conceding.

WHen Laporte got injured we asked the question whether we could survive until he returned. We are more or less on the brink now. Some people seem to want to blame VAR, but for me City had all these games and made defensive errors and didn't finish our chances. We have just been weakened to a level where we are not good enough.

We need to approach every game like a Cup Final now, and see where it takes us. I don't think it will be long until we see Sane and Laporte back on the training pitch. That is my next target. To be within 9 points of Liverpool when they return.

Not sure that people are using VAR as the sole cause, but the one yesterday was at a critical point and did undoubtedly affect the outcome . Shit refereeing at it's worst.

Pep is right when he says we are not good in both boxes atm, and whether they are part of the game, our injuries have been to significant players in our team. Bound to affect us .

In a perverse way , perhaps just concentrating on getting back into our normal game, as there is fa we can do to affect the dippers, may make it a little easier.

I think we are making to many excuses for players missing through injuries. we only have two long term injuries. no worse than most teams have.And should be able to cope wuth the squad we have .plus the youngsters we have whi Pep doesnt seem to trust

Well I would guess that if the ball gets through to Sterling and he scores the goal is ruled out by VAR due to accidental handball. But it didn’t so the correct decision should be a penalty because the accidental handball only becomes “active” if we score a goal from it?
Happy to be corrected, but that would be my understanding.
I believe it is also for pens if there is an advantage gained from the handball

Sergio is a hero to this club but he's no longer the predatory striker he once was. There were multiple opportunities where we could have gotten goals but he seemed a step behind... situations Jesus if given the chance MAY have buried.

We were at many points the better team moving forward but their break punished us and our makeshift defense couldn't handle it.

We're 9 point off but there are 26 games yet. I am still not 100% sold on Liverpool and feel they will drop games. It's wishful thinking but there's a long road ahead.

9 points is not an insurmountable figure but over the next 8 weeks, that number must start coming down and not be going in the other direction. By the time we get into the new year, we really need to have chipped 3 or 4 points off their lead. If we can do that, I am confident we can knock off a 5 or 6 point deficit in the last 15 games.

I'm hoping Pep will chastise everyone who stopped playing on the non called handball... it resulted in a free run by them which ended up in the goal. I am nearly certain the outcome would have resulted in at least a draw if not for that short section of play which we allowed to happen.

Players need to put their offsides signalling hands down as well as stop emploring the ref for calls. It doesn't matter if it was a handball you play as you were taught from infant school... play to the whistle. It is our lack of composure that led to that initial goal. If we've learned anything... calls are not going our way so to stop playing and hope is foolish.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.