Liverpool (a) post-match thread

Still think although we could have won this game, it was more of a gamble from Pep and a bit of a fuck up at the same time. Why did he play Mendy against Atalanta if he didn't think he could play two games? This was clearly the more important game. Can't blame him for Ederson, that's a freak injury, but we know the way that Liverpool play is to put long balls from deep behind the defenders, Ederson usually sweeps some of that space but Bravo isn't as quick off his line. He's also not as good at catching crosses or even reacting to them, with that in mind you would have thought there would be some changes to the setup. Also, bringing in Rodri from the cold was a bit mental, i actually thought Gundogan had the better game but if Rodri had to start then i think it should have been as a double pivot but with Fernandinho. All in all i think we had some good chances, take those and its a different game, but we could have controlled it better and taken the gambling element out a little IMHO.

I don’t get why he didn't do what he did at Anfield last season, contain them, don't stretch things too much, play it safe. We were a missed penalty away from beating them with that tactic last season.

Why Pep went back to the tactics that have seen us handed our arse at Anfield in the recent past I don't understand.

I don’t get why he didn't do what he did at Anfield last season, contain them, don't stretch things too much, play it safe. We were a missed penalty away from beating them with that tactic last season.

Why Pep went back to the tactics that have seen us handed our arse at Anfield in the recent past I don't understand.
I suppose he didn't think he had the personnel for it, but as much as i hate to say it, the rags showed the formula. Contain their fullbacks and catch them on the counter, go with wingbacks and they struggle to create space. But to say OGS got it tactically right and Pep didn't might be a stretch, i think Pep saw something in the tape and thought we could do something and it worked in parts, but it was just too cavalier again IMO.

I suppose he didn't think he had the personnel for it, but as much as i hate to say it, the rags showed the formula. Contain their fullbacks and catch them on the counter, go with wingbacks and they struggle to create space. But to say OGS got it tactically right and Pep didn't might be a stretch, i think Pep saw something in the tape and thought we could do something and it worked in parts, but it was just too cavalier again IMO.

Maybe but for me the lack of defensive cover is more reason to go with the same tactic as last season, it's bad enough leaving our defence exposed when at full strength, doing it at Anfield when we aren't is just suicide.

Has anyone from the club asked to see the VAR evidence for Salah's goal being adjudged onside?
Are they even allowed to see it, or is it a case for PGMOL saying "When we are right we are right, when we are wrong we are right and any benefit of doubt goes to us".

Liverpool are a momentum team and have to keep crowd awake and involved. Imagine the effect of a penalty against them after four minutes! Imagine a Liverpool goal being chalked off to go back to award the penalty! Actually unimaginable. Even so City came back like champions and created several good chances before the game was effectively decided by another (more than) dubious Liverpool goal after only eleven minutes. What a surprise that Liverpool looked calm and assured while City looked over anxious and nervy for the next seventy minutes. The officials, both on the field and any who were in the VAR studio, reminded me of those old Pakistani umpires whos saw their job not as applying the laws of cricket but rather as protecting Pakistani batsmen from the LBW law so the could entertain the Pakistani crowd with their attacking shots.

The attack missed chances they could have eaten on any other day but I don't think the defence was as poor as is claimed. City never gave up and at 2-0 down still had the best of it but had to put men forward; no wonder we always seemed to have to scurry back when Liverpool broke. Some can blame Gundo for the first but it was certainly no worse than "TAA"'s "mistake" in minute 4, and we can blame Walker for not challenging Mane for goal 3, but the real mistake was Claudio's staying on his line. Mane, like "TAA" was not asked to pay for his "mistake" in felling Raheem. Liverpool conceded more shots and more expected goals but their far-from makeshift defence has been roundly praised for Sunday's showing.

To be honest I think this is Pep's last season, you know when you just get a feeling that something is different. This is it for me and I hope I'm wrong but 3-4 years seems to be where he is at and I still believe that the players are fatigued as even with injuries they should be performing much better. I think Pep whether through his own choice or those above him is focused on the CL this season in my opinion. His team selections seem to indicate this at times and on Sunday I think he realised that with that makeshift defence we couldn't play like we did last year at Anfield and our best chance at getting a result would be to just go for it and concede in the process. When such a huge decision went against us early on we all knew it was going to be one of those days again. Fabinho smashing it in out of nowhere told me everything and I'll be honest I switched the game off after that.

Liverpool are like a bad smell they just won't go away but we didn't do ourselves any favors and Pep seems to be all over the place. Hopefully a win against Chelsea will get everything back on track.

Now in terms of where we go from here, I think we have to buy a CB in January but nothing else. We have Jesus as backup to Aguero, sterling can also play here and we have Foden as a replacement to Silva or Gundo so contrary to what the papers have been saying I don't see us needing 3 players in Jan.

Last edited:

Agree klopp sides love teams going at them better of parking the bus

Those tactics saw us have 55% possession, 18 shots to their 12 and 13 corners to their 4. We should have had 2 penalties, and Salad was arguably offside for their second.

We did not deserve to lose that game.

Those tactics saw us have 55% possession, 18 shots to their 12 and 13 corners to their 4. We should have had 2 penalties, and Salad was arguably offside for their second.

We did not deserve to lose that game.

We had the better of it overall in the 3-0 there in the CL a couple years back too, leaving yourself open to the counter from the best counter attacking team, arguably in Europe, is daft imo, especially when you're missing your best defender.

We had the better of it overall in the 3-0 there in the CL a couple years back too, leaving yourself open to the counter from the best counter attacking team, arguably in Europe, is daft imo, especially when you're missing your best defender.
Agreed, but that's the risk you take if you want to win games in the PL. If those penalties and the offside had been given correctly we would have conceivably won that game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.