Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how well this will go, but here goes.

I'm a Liverpool fan and I'm pretty taken aback at some of the comments on here about the club, the players, fans etc. I'm not naive, and know that some of the antics of our club staff and our fans have been reprehensible and indefensible. This seems to have manifested itself at City into a mixture of incredible vitriol (understandable) and some mad conspiracy theorising (less understandable).

I get that fans can be deeply tribalistic and incredibly passionate about their team, but as part of contributing to this thread and maybe the wider forum, I'm hoping that somewhere the bitterness and hatred can be defused to an extent. Probably not, but I reckon it's worth a try. I'm going to try to be respectful and ignore the inevitable abuse. Not because I'm better or anything - I'll call a **** a **** - but I think there's some interesting stuff that can actually be discussed about our respective clubs/fanbase.

This probably comes across as either some soppy hippy bollocks or Michael Jackson 'heal the world' bullshit - but I reckon some decent reasoned debate, rather than constant glib oneupmanship might be a better direction for this thread and some of the madder stuff on twitter to go.

Quick run down of my position on key issues

The bus - completely wrong. No excuse. It wasn't a 'pre-planned missile attack', it was a bunch of bellends throwing beer bottles.
The hacking - Don't call it 'hacking', it gives it a sophistication it doesn't deserve. Call it 'illegally accessing data'. It's illegal and therefore completely wrong.
VAR - there is no VAR conspiracy. There are lots of errors in a system that still constantly demands human judgement.
Premier League/FA - they are not conspiring to help Liverpool win, but given Liverpool's worldwide profile, they are more than happy with the extra revenue that the high viewing figures from a successful Liverpool team provides. Both organisations could do with genuine accountability
Refs - there is no conspiracy to help Liverpool win. There are about two good ones including Michael Oliver - though he got the TAA handball wrong at Anfield.
FFP - needs overhauling - but it was not introduced to stop PSG/City or Newcastle. PSG/City have been able to spend hundreds of millions, and now sit at the very top table, so that any breakaway European league would necessarily include them, and still see them as the potential biggest spenders. PSG/CITY should both have won the Champs league - and it's essentially only luck and a few poor decisions which have stopped them. FFP has been developed over very many years and all clubs knew what was coming - City falling foul of this feels like hubris. It hasn't affected City's ability to be successful at all - unless you believe that sport should be a pissing context between billionaires.
UEFA - a corrupt organisation which needs overhauling not tearing down and replaced with whatever big european clubs feel a governing body should look like. They weren't biased against City - but if a member of your staff has been revealed to have said 'one down, six to go', you might reasonably expect the organisation at which this is directed to be pissed off and react. UEFA might well have got this new ban wrong by being driven by the wrong motivation (revenge?) rather than clear sighted legal precision. There are some really good contributions on here about his from those with the insight and intelligence lots of mainstream journalists lack.
Continuing the season - I think it has to be explored but calling for a blanket voiding at this stage just reveals your own twisted feelings towards Liverpool. Given that we have no idea whether next season can actually take place or what format it can take, exploring all the options while there is time, and shifting start/finish dates and the international calendar is entirely reasonable. Voiding the season might be an option after all of this has been properly explored. I do think football taking place behind closed doors is ok - I genuinely think it would be a good thing for the country to gain a semblance of normality, but I have no idea if that can even happen safely and I have the same misgivings as Gary Neville about rich people playing games being seen as more of a priority for testing than front line workers.

Breathe, post reply, run for cover.
Some comments here are reasonable and some are utter bollocks, with reference to the point made regarding comments our member of staff has made about UEFA all I can say is that when you have been fucked over time and time again on and off the field of play, you might also reasonably expect the said club's member of staff to say something like " one down six to go".... it works both ways and sometimes enough is enough !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.