Living next to Asbestos building

TonyM

Anyone out there have any advice on living next to an Asbestos tiled building. It's an very large old shed that used to be used to process potatoes. It's been abandoned since the 80s but seems in good shape ( as far as I can see from the outside). I'm about 50 feet from it and there are trees between us.

I'm going to chat to the local EPA but I'm just expecting an answer of it being dangerous only if it's disturbed ... But is it being disturbed every time the wind blows? Is it a time bomb?

It is making us seriously consider moving for the sake of our two kids but are we just fretting over nothing. I'd prefer to not move because our location now is great and it's nearly impossible to find something equivalent in the the area within our budget. But is that me worrying about money more than the health of our kids?

I'm just fishing in case anyone has expertise or advice. What I find googling this isn't very clear.

Thanks.
:-)

It's harmless, I deal with a lot of it remodeling and like you said if it's not disturbed it won't hurt you or your kids, not even on a windy day. Now if your kids decide to go over there and start snapping the panels then you could have a problem so tell the little brats to stay off!

idahoblues said:
It's harmless, I deal with a lot of it remodeling and like you said if it's not disturbed it won't hurt you or your kids, not even on a windy day. Now if your kids decide to go over there and start snapping the panels then you could have a problem so tell the little brats to stay off!
LOL! What if it does collapse one day how long before it can be cleared up?

Thanks!

TonyM said:
idahoblues said:
LOL! What if it does collapse one day how long before it can be cleared up?

Thanks!
They can clear it up straight away, they just need the right `Hasmat 'suits.

We used to play with it when we were kids. We'd break it off the sides and roofs of old garages and throw it on fires to watch it blow up. Madness.

Barcon said:
We used to play with it when we were kids. We'd break it off the sides and roofs of old garages and throw it on fires to watch it blow up. Madness.
Proof folks of what asbestos can do to the human mind ^^^

dronefromsector7g said:
Barcon said:
Proof folks of what asbestos can do to the human mind ^^^

Fuck me, you must have played with uranium mate.

Mesothelioma - nasty dealt with a few claims for that. The claimant usually dies before the claim is settled :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.