Living with a cat with dementia

metalblue

Experience is a terrible teacher, it gives the exa
Anyone got any experience of this?

My cat is getting on a bit and has, I fear, succumbed to senile dementia. He will often go outside, come back in a while later then obviously forget why he came back in and go out again. If he is inside at around 4am he starts meowing incredibly loudly at the ceiling. We have on a couple of occasions found him walking into the corner of a room not and not being able to walk forward or turn left or right he has become distressed until I picked him up and turned him around.

My late cat was 20 and i was told to start with she had dementia but she had a brain tumour
The getting stuck in corners is a key symptom as is walking round in circles,time to keep him indoors and get a proper diagnosis.Sorry it doesn't sound good

That's so sad MB I have a dilemma with my mums cat at the moment he's an old rat AG with arthritis and looks like my mum will be going into a home after breaking her hip not sure what to do with the cat

Sorry to hear this. It's so frustrating when you're helpless in a situation like this. I don't know much about cats, but I can only suggest doing whatever you can to comfort him or her as much as possible (if that isn't stating the obvious).

I had 2 cats Howard and Fergie (got them from Ashton Cats Home after the 5 - 1 in 89)but when they got to 21 had to have them put down as they were piddling in their beds and everything.

Was awful having to do it but sometimes its the kindest thing to do.Hard though,I probably put it off longer than I should.

Got 2 more now,not called them Pelle & Moysey though,Wife woudnt wear it this time.

Tbilisi said:
I had 2 cats Howard and Fergie (got them from Ashton Cats Home after the 5 - 1 in 89)but when they got to 21 had to have them put down as they were piddling in their beds and everything.

Was awful having to do it but sometimes its the kindest thing to do.Hard though,I probably put it off longer than I should.

Got 2 more now,not called them Pelle & Moysey though,Wife woudnt wear it this time.

Howard?

chabal said:
Tbilisi said:

Howard?
Fergie?

chabal said:
Tbilisi said:

Howard?

Good spot,think I might have a touch of it myself.

It was after the 1 -1 that same season,my bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.