Local Busybodies

Did Andrea have a brother called David? Lived on Countess Lane I think. I went to Derby High, left in 1980.
Honestly couldn’t tell you, but there can’t be too many Stokes’ in the area, and Countess Lane tings a bell!

I went there for a few years, then Stand, which I left after First Year in about 1974/75, because I came here in ‘82 after my A levels.

I don’t even remember a Derby High. My sister was at Stand Grammar for Girls, so it was just accepted that I’d go to the Boys School. I was going to go to Bolton Public School, but I went through school a year early and they wanted me to wait a year. I didn’t want to, and it was a hike from Radcliffe, so I went to Stand instead.

I used to go to the Youth Center at the top of the fields, on the corner by the Primary School (where I went). Remember a contest for designing an album cover for a current Top 20 group and I chose “The Osmands.”

As you may have realized by now, it was a memorable event. I won the prize and was ecstatic, because we didn’t have tuppence at the time…until some smart arse in the crowd said, “He spelled it wrong! There’s no A in Osmonds!” And, just kind that, the prize was gone!

Still smarts, as you can tell!

I went up there for the outside 5-a-side cage they had, so I assume it was pouring rain (for a change!) that night!

Ah, the good old days!

Honestly couldn’t tell you, but there can’t be too many Stokes’ in the area, and Countess Lane tings a bell!

I went there for a few years, then Stand, which I left after First Year in about 1974/75, because I came here in ‘82 after my A levels.

I don’t even remember a Derby High. My sister was at Stand Grammar for Girls, so it was just accepted that I’d go to the Boys School. I was going to go to Bolton Public School, but I went through school a year early and they wanted me to wait a year. I didn’t want to, and it was a hike from Radcliffe, so I went to Stand instead.

I used to go to the Youth Center at the top of the fields, on the corner by the Primary School (where I went). Remember a contest for designing an album cover for a current Top 20 group and I chose “The Osmands.”

As you may have realized by now, it was a memorable event. I won the prize and was ecstatic, because we didn’t have tuppence at the time…until some smart arse in the crowd said, “He spelled it wrong! There’s no A in Osmonds!” And, just kind that, the prize was gone!

Still smarts, as you can tell!

I went up there for the outside 5-a-side cage they had, so I assume it was pouring rain (for a change!) that night!

Ah, the good old days!
Pretty sure we are referring to the same Stokes family ;-)
Derby High was the Bury equivalent of the two schools at Stand. I passed my 11 plus and was pencilled in for Stand Grammar for Girls but, at that time, we lived on the Bury/Radcliffe border so I went to Derby High instead.
Didn't know many other City fans in Radcliffe in the late 70s, but I did know one named Carl who went to the boys Stand school.
And if you mean the Youth Club on Coronation Road (just near the Primary) then yes, I remember it well ;-)
Loved living there at the time, not a bad place by any means for a teen.

This is a classic busybody.

Having said that. Anyone doing building work at 8am on a Sunday deserves to be executed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.