lodgers edit: anyone know property law

roaminblue

Do any of you have any experience with lodgers?

Ive had to have lodgers for the past year due to my financial situation. This last lot have been a nigjtmare, culminating last night in an argument and them saying their leaving.

I'm happy that they are, but a bit stressed about finding a new tenant now.

I'm just not sure if its me, or them who is in the wrong. I try to be laid back as possible, but they told me that they felt they were treading on eggshells.

Basically, it was a couple and their dog, we've had numerous problems. Their dog went through a three week stage of pissing in the house, he had a real go at my dog, he can't be left without his owner or he howls and whines and barks, or scratches the door.

Then after a month of them living here, barely doing their dishes, having not vacuumed the house once, or picked up their dog Shit we had a chat. We came up with a cleaning Rota. Two weeks into that they didn't do their part of the Rota, and I spoke to them again.

Anyway last night argument ensues, she's a petulant moron, but I knew that anyway and we agreed a months notice.

I guess my question is, for those who have experience, am I right in thinking you help with cleaning, keep on top of dishes etc? Or is that not the done thing?

I know that I am a bit ocd, but I always felt that if the dishes weren't done relatively quickly, that with so many people in the house, it would soon become an inconvenience.

I was never rude about asking them to do the cleaning etc, so I'm not sure why they felt they were walking on eggshells. I also always make sure I was doing the same, so its not like I only had expectations of them and not myself.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. Particularly on how to prevent these issues in the future.

Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of property law?

Basically, things have gotten a bit silly now. So, our current lodgers who have decided not to give their notice period have moved in with one of their parents and are moving all their stuff out on Sunday.

The situation is that they have currently paid up until the sixteenth of june, and they believe that this entitles them to leave without the notice period. But the contract explicitly says one months notice on either side.

Now, they have paid a deposit, and as I understand it I am entitled to withhold this if they do not fulfil the terms of their contract (in that they haven't paid the notice period). Is that correct or am I wrong on this matter?

Secondly, with them coming to pick their stuff up on Sunday and vacating the premise, although they have paid up until the 16th of June am I able to request that they hand back their keys?

I'm guessing I probably don't have the right, but to be honest, the woman can be very aggressive, and I don't like the idea of them having access to my house.

Further to that, they have text me saying they won't give me the keys back until I have given them the deposit back.

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: lodgers

Never understood why people dont just do their bit. I lived in a shared house with a few mates and a couple of them were just lazy fuckers, when you pull them up on it they just kick off. Fucked them off in the end and the house was a better place for it

Blue Smarties said:
She a looker?

Quite the opposite. Shame because I think the guy is a great lad, we really do get on. But that's about as far as my remorse goes

When I moved to London for the second time I had a week to find a short term flat and had no choice but to live as a lodger with a really nice Turkish family.

You are indeed right in thinking that lodgers help with cleaning. The house I lived in was huge, there were 2 other lodgers and we shared a bathroom which we cleaned each week. Also always cleaned after myself when using the kitchen.

The lodger scenario is suppose to be win win for both parties. For the Landlord you have private parts of the house where the lodger is not allowed to enter. For the lodger it's a cheaper option than renting, however the lodger should be expected to show a bit more respect as the property isn't theirs to do what they want. I had absolutely no problem with this as I was paying less rent than I would have been if I was renting a flat as a full tenant.

The Flash said:
What I do know is that this thread is going to be parodied to death.

LOL care to do the honours? I've never had a parodied thread. I think I can at least count on yours to be witty

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.