London Rd Fire Station

Not sure if you can watch it in Ireland but this is the link.

https://www.my5.tv/portillos-hidden-history-of-britain/season-2/episode-2
Thanks for the heads up. I clicked on the link and when I click the play arrow, I get a warning about distressing scenes and to confirm I am over 16. Did that, takes me back to the main screen, click play and the same warning comes up again. And again. And again. Rinse and repeat. Tried getting the my5 app, but that isn't available in Ireland. I'm guessing the programme won't be either, even though we can get C5 through the "other channels" option on Sky. I'll try to find a download for the programme.

Thanks for the heads up. I clicked on the link and when I click the play arrow, I get a warning about distressing scenes and to confirm I am over 16. Did that, takes me back to the main screen, click play and the same warning comes up again. And again. And again. Rinse and repeat. Tried getting the my5 app, but that isn't available in Ireland. I'm guessing the programme won't be either, even though we can get C5 through the "other channels" option on Sky. I'll try to find a download for the programme.

The programme is a bit slow and could be shorter but well worth digging out.

One of the great buildings of our city. Used to go in as a kid. My dad was a fireman. When they moved to near Wing Yip, the kids never wanted to go because of how shit it was.
London Road is a beautiful building and about time it was restored and used to its full potential.
I used to go there quite often as my uncle worked there (in the office after a wall fell on him during a fire and smashed his leg). Top man he was, my 2nd dad. If you old man is still around (sorry if he's not), ask if he remembers Joe Dwan.

Not sure if this will work for those without Facebook. A lad on there explores derelict buildings and this was one he did

Some great other ones too which might be of interest to you

Not sure if this will work for those without Facebook. A lad on there explores derelict buildings and this was one he did

Some great other ones too which might be of interest to you
What would it cost to build a building like that these days, in comparison to the drab, soulless ones you see going up these days?

As well as the fire station the second picture gives you a clue as to what it also was..... Manchester Coroners Court. I had to go way back, 1980's, I was in awe of the place, the setting was so Victorian and grand. The fact that it is still looking so good after years of neglect is amazing. I hope the new owners treat it properly.

Something not right with planning/tax/ property laws when buildings like this, in prime spots, can be derelict for so long. A simple use-it-or-lose-it clause would be my choice.

One of the great buildings of our city. Used to go in as a kid. My dad was a fireman. When they moved to near Wing Yip, the kids never wanted to go because of how shit it was.
London Road is a beautiful building and about time it was restored and used to its full potential.
Off topic a bit but is wing yip still going? I remember it being the first big change of scenery and buildings in the way out of town back in the day when it went there. Always used to go get off the bus by it and walk down to town and go to the Tib Street pet shops and other strange places on the way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.