Long ago, 1958 World Cup and Sven

AliBobbyJ

Team supported
City
Sven Goran Eriksson's passing this week got me thinking that he'd have been ten years old when the World Cup was held in Sweden. He might not have attended any of the matches but could have followed them on the radio or tv. and maybe that's what started his love of football. It's the first World Cup any of the FOCs on here, including myself, can remember. Some of the games were shown live thanks to what they called "the wonder of Eurovision." It was an interesting tournament. From a mix of hazy memory and looking on Wiki all four UK nations qualified. England without Roger Byrne, Duncan Edwards and Tommy Taylor were knocked out early; Scotland lost to Paraguay in what must have been quite a clash of cultures, Paraguay with someone called Aguero in the side. Wales did best, losing in the quarter-final to a goal by Pele. And the Brazil team had a psychologist with them, sounded weird at the time but a sign of things to come. I wonder what young Sven made of it all and how it influenced his footballing life.

Sven Goran Eriksson's passing this week got me thinking that he'd have been ten years old when the World Cup was held in Sweden. He might not have attended any of the matches but could have followed them on the radio or tv. and maybe that's what started his love of football. It's the first World Cup any of the FOCs on here, including myself, can remember. Some of the games were shown live thanks to what they called "the wonder of Eurovision." It was an interesting tournament. From a mix of hazy memory and looking on Wiki all four UK nations qualified. England without Roger Byrne, Duncan Edwards and Tommy Taylor were knocked out early; Scotland lost to Paraguay in what must have been quite a clash of cultures, Paraguay with someone called Aguero in the side. Wales did best, losing in the quarter-final to a goal by Pele. And the Brazil team had a psychologist with them, sounded weird at the time but a sign of things to come. I wonder what young Sven made of it all and how it influenced his footballing life.
Perhaps he has made reference to the 58 WC in a book of his ?
Anyone read an autobiography?

Interesting that the Sweden team that reached the final was managed by an Englishman, George Raynor. I believe Sven was influenced by him and Bobby Houghton, who managed Malmo, so it was quite fitting in a way that he eventually became England manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.