Long Ball Football Under Hughes?

stony said:
The Ghost Of Swales said:
What are the balloons on here on about saying City are playing long ball football under Les?

90% of City fans are bellends - FACT

You don't have a very good opinion of your fellow Blues, do you?

No. The majority are idiots.

Remove the wannabe hooligans, the face painted morons, the ones who just sit there don't sing and don't get behind the lads, the ones that know fook all about football (eg. thinking Robinho is crap) and the moaners and there aren't many decent ones left.

stony said:
You don't have a very good opinion of your fellow Blues, do you?

No. The majority are idiots.

Remove the wannabe hooligans, the face painted morons, the ones who just sit there don't sing and don't get behind the lads, the ones that know fook all about football (eg. thinking Robinho is crap) and the moaners and there aren't many decent ones left.

You missed out the pricks who think that everyone should support the club in the exact way that they do.

staffs_blue said:
we played it out from the back under SGE all the time.we have practically the same personell now so what has changed?

Joe Hart is forever punting it long downfield.He got a bollocking from sven for that.

Absolutely spot on. Some people on here must have shit in their eyes.

Its weird as we do play it longer more often but we are capable of playing scintillating football too. Look to 90% of our goals for proof of that.

I think the truth is a number of things

1) Hughes is much more black and white than Sven. If in danger, get rid.
2) Hart, Dunne, Ball and Micah all have poor distribution, so would favour the long ball when all that was available was a moe difficult shorter pass.
3) Save for Kompany, none of our midfielders are coming short to pick up the ball from the defence. Last year we had Hamann and Johnson provding the link.

Given our system and the personnel, good ball playing centre backs would really make a difference. Look at Dunnes run out the box against Hull last week. We have players such as Robinho, Ireland, SWP, Elano etc who can really do damage on the ball, so the more we give it to them to feet, the more opportunities we are going to create. Coincidentally none of these must be taller than 5"10, so playing the long ball is frankly stupid and inviting the team to attack us. Look at the nice partnership Garrido and Robinho were developing. We need links between defence and midfield across the pitch. It isn't rocket science. Not saying there isnt a place for a long ball - there is - but it really needs to be a) on the counter attack and b) with a centre forward capable of winning the ball in the air and bringing our threatening players into play.

Long ball football under Hughes? As opposed to Sven, Pearce,Keegan?

I must've been watching a different season to everyone else last time then. I must've imagined it when I thought I was shouting to our midfield every week as they ran away from Richard Dunne with the inevitable result that he lumped it to the oppo. I must have imagined Sun Jihi; perhaps it was just a nightmare?

Dunne,Ball,Micah,Ned etc can't play football. If they played for Brazil & were put under pressure, they'd lump it. Dunne lumped it under Royle, Keegan, Pearce, Sven & now Hughes. If he's left space he'll attempt to play football as Sven & Hughes want to but if the oppo squeeze the midfield, he'll lose patience & hoof it, or give it Hart who'll hoof it, so will Micah.

Ball hoofs it over his shoulder without looking. They can't play football. The oppo know it & try to make them hoof it so we don't get our passing game going. Our midfield don't have a Berkovic or Fabregas to sort it. Elano isn't quite in that class.

These blokes if played together, will do this forever under any manager. We'll soon have someone to get on the end of it when they do & eventually they'll mostly be replaced by footballers thus keeping it to a minimum.

There has been matches where we have constantly lumped it forward, Wigan\Bolton away and Everton at home spring to mind. If you cant see this you mustnt have been watching! We are not a long ball side though, just that in those games the way the other teams have marked us and closed us down has forced us into playing that way.

True_Blue69 said:
There has been matches where we have constantly lumped it forward, Wigan\Bolton away and Everton at home spring to mind. If you cant see this you mustnt have been watching! We are not a long ball side though, just that in those games the way the other teams have marked us and closed us down has forced us into playing that way.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Add to that 65% of games last season & 90% of games under Pearce & look at which players are mostly involved. Sun Jihi, Ball, Dunne, Richards. 3 of them are still here. Nowardays, they'd like to pass it but under pressure; they can't. It's a fault they'll always have until we replace at least 2 of them with footballers.

Neville Kneville said:

I must've been watching a different season to everyone else last time then. I must've imagined it when I thought I was shouting to our midfield every week as they ran away from Richard Dunne with the inevitable result that he lumped it to the oppo. I must have imagined Sun Jihi; perhaps it was just a nightmare?

Dunne,Ball,Micah,Ned etc can't play football. If they played for Brazil & were put under pressure, they'd lump it. Dunne lumped it under Royle, Keegan, Pearce, Sven & now Hughes. If he's left space he'll attempt to play football as Sven & Hughes want to but if the oppo squeeze the midfield, he'll lose patience & hoof it, or give it Hart who'll hoof it, so will Micah.

Ball hoofs it over his shoulder without looking. They can't play football. The oppo know it & try to make them hoof it so we don't get our passing game going. Our midfield don't have a Berkovic or Fabregas to sort it. Elano isn't quite in that class.

These blokes if played together, will do this forever under any manager. We'll soon have someone to get on the end of it when they do & eventually they'll mostly be replaced by footballers thus keeping it to a minimum.

These are 4 premierleague players, 3 of them full internationals. They are capable of passing a football. They also have a level of basic skill and ball control that allows them to play the game without the long ball, providing they have support from their team mates. Nobody is good enough to play football from the back if they are not given any passing options.

This long ball 'tactic' is not forced upon us by opposition pressure. The ball is often hoofed up field when there is no pressure. Most of the time, nobody is asking for a short pass or looking to pressure the midfield. Instead they are stood around waiting for the big kick that they know is coming. This can only be because it's been worked out beforehand.

mammutly said:
Neville Kneville said:

These are 4 premierleague players, 3 of them full internationals. They are capable of passing a football. They also have a level of basic skill and ball control that allows them to play the game without the long ball, providing they have support from their team mates. Nobody is good enough to play football from the back if they are not given any passing options.

This long ball 'tactic' is not forced upon us by opposition pressure. The ball is often hoofed up field when there is no pressure. Most of the time, nobody is asking for a short pass or looking to pressure the midfield. Instead they are stood around waiting for the big kick that they know is coming. This can only be because it's been worked out beforehand.

Agreed.I would of thought that when a Premier League footballer is 'scouted' as a kid,the scout would look for the ability to pass the ball to a team mate,be it 5 yards or 25 yards.
So I dont buy this 'Dunne and Richards aint ball playing centre halves'.If they cant pass a football to a team mate in space then they really should take up another profession IMO.
Maybe MH should introduce some 7 a side games in training on a 5 a side pitch and encourage them to play short quick passes.We have the talent in our squad to play that way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.