Long distance fans

Sorry, this will be long, for those of you with long-post-phobia...;)

Well...I am 50 years a Blue but I am not from Manchester. Born and raised in Ireland and now live outside Boston MA. So no, for those who think that you can only support your hometown team to be a real fan, I "chose" to follow City 50 years ago on my 8th birthday. That was the day that they beat United 3-1 at their place on the way to the title. Following year, FA Cup, year after that League Cup and Cup-Winners Cup. Yep I was nothing but a glory hunter. Not a real fan. Not a Manc.
Anyway, I still found myself growing up as the only City supporter in a sea of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and yes, Leeds fans - they were good then. Filthy, but good. But I also supported my local team down in Cork with as much fervour; Cork Hibernians were where it was at for me for my local club but everyone at home had a favourite English club as well. I was just the outlier following City, so I wore it like a badge of honour. I got more stubborn and loved them even more, the more abuse I got. I lamented 1972 as Rodney Marsh was my favourite player back then, but I know how the chemistry of that great side was affected by his arrival. I cheered as loudly as anyone when Law's backheel hit the net (of course it was over radio for me). I went fucking wild when Tueart's overhead went in; the only one in a roomful of other club's supporters to jump on a school desk (I was then 16 and in boarding school - with even more Liverpool/United/Leeds (and curiously, one fanatic Stoke supporter...;) This one was on TV though.) By then, I had prevailed upon my uncle (RIP) to take me to a game at Maine Road. We traveled by ferry to Liverpool and bus to Manchester and taxi to the old ground. I was in absolute awe. It was pissing rain as I recall and I was really sick. But I saw my hero Rodney score the only goal against Stoke and I traveled back to Ireland the following day with a 102 degree temperature but absolutely ecstatic. I just recall the huge mass of the Kippax heaving - or maybe it was the huge congestion and dizziness. I prefer to think of it as sheer ecstasy. That was November 1974.

Yeah the 70's were great; we were damn good. And almost won it all in '77. Not to be. Then the Allison years...Fast forward to '81 and Ricky Fucking Villa. Heartbroken. Saw City in Cork later that year. Met Joe Corrigan and said hello to Trevor Francis. Then relegation and Raddy Antic/Pleat and his stupid dance. Devastated. But ecstasy with Charlton in '85. After that, I left Ireland and although I celebrated promotion again with the Bradford game, I was traveling around and was really not as invested in City as I had been. That all changed when we went to the third tier. I was here in Boston when that happened. I couldn't believe it. That more than anything brought me "back" so to speak. The internet was well-established and I could follow again what was going on. I loved that team though (I was NOT at York away BTW...) and just happened to be back in Ireland for the '99 playoffs. I had two babies then and tried unsuccessfully to travel to London for the Gillingham match...my American missus was having none of it. So I contented myself with watching it on TV. Well we all know how that turned out. My 3 year old son turned around and asked his mother; "Why is Daddy crying?" As I later told the now 21-year old boy; "It's because the club was probably saved by this result. Oh yeah, and it completely outdid United's poxy "comeback" in the Cl final a few days before."

Then the takeover - Garry Cook - Leslie - Mancini - Yaya at Wembley. I cried again and made my kids do the Poznan. And then of course...Aguerrrrooooo. As I am sure many of you had, I had a moment with my City fanatic son that day. Still get choked up. "nuff said.

Oh boy, to make a long story short, I have been to the Etihad. 2005 to see Stuart Pearce's turgid side grind out a 0-0 with Blackburn Rovers. It is not a cheap journey for me. I made a lot of friends on the old TalkinCity messageboard and met up with many of them (some still on here) that first time. Had my name read out over the tannoy before the game too - thanks H. Boy what a time I had though. I have never been made more welcome anywhere. We drank long into the night. I will never forget and cannot believe that I haven't managed to be back since then. But I will. Financial constraints have really stopped me in my tracks - paying for college over here is a travesty - but also the incredible coverage of all the Prem games over here in the US is first-class. Take a bow, NBCSports - and for your fair reporting. So yeah, bit of an armchair supporter too.

So I have not been to Manchester since the takeover although traveled to see City when they come to the States. I dearly want to get back before all our legends retire or go elsewhere. I have promised my son that I will take him over once he graduates college. That's May 2019. We have seen City 4 times in the flesh over here but we need to get back over to see God's own in their own playground.

I envy and applaud the incredible fans who travel to away matches. They have spent much of their hard-earned money to follow a football club that mean so much to them. Heard you loud and clear at West Ham today. Best fans in the world. I am just a 58 year old gloryhunter from afar who took this club to my heart for no good reason as a callow 8 year old in West Cork than: "they wear sky blue; my favourite colour, and they just beat Manchester United. They must be good. I am following them now..."

Still here. Still a member of the Boston branch of the City Supporters club. Still have my blue pint glass that I drink from when we win and listen to Oasis "Masterplan" like I did today. Still get up at silly o' clock to watch them. Still hurt when they lose. (Still want fucking Liverpool to get their asses kicked in the CL so that our record-breakers will not be overshadowed.) Still want United to lose every game even if it was tiddleywinks. I despise them and the horse they rode in on. Still wear my City gear although it's tighter now.

Still and always will be a Blue, albeit from afar. Maybe not a born and raised Blue - God bless those who are. But a Blue. If you don't think so, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Wrong as it is...;)

CTID.
You qualify! Passport stamped.

I grew up in Cheadle Hulme and started watching City in 1963 just in time to see them relegated,

I followed them around the country through the mid-1960s to the early 1970s. I had a season ticket in the North Stand when it opened.

Work took me to the Midlands in 1977 and lived in Coventry and Leicester for the next ten years. I was restricted to watching City at places like Highfield Road and Villa Park. I moved to Edinburgh in 1987 and am still there. I started to travel to Maine Road for occasional matches in the 1990s just in time for a couple more relegations.

It was around 2011 that I was in a financial position to travel regularly to Manchester for home matches. I obtained a season ticket in 2013-14 and travel from Edinburgh to virtually all home matches.

Born in Wythenshawe ,grew up in Stalybridge now live in sunny Gorton.For me if your a blue your a blue .Not arsed where your from if your City then you’re fine with me.

Writing a piece for FourFourTwo on long distance fans and wanted to gauge posters' opinion on the subject.

Are they any less of a fan than a regular match-goer who lives locally? Are they less connected to the club?

I'm aware there are some who think people should support their local club no matter who they are. Would love to hear from someone who has that view or similar.

I’m from Dundee, further north than most of you lot. I’m not a match day going supporter, the travel down would be hell (as I experienced when I came down to Manchester on a megabus a few years ago) and in fact the only game I’ve been to in the past 5 years was when City came up to Den’s Park to play my local team. Not a fan of going to any games because I feel uncomfortable due to anxiety so I much prefer supporting my teams from afar.

As most of you know, the standards of the Scottish league is horrendous. IMO the only team that could challenge in the Premier League would be Celtic obviously, and at best they’d maybe emulate Everton over the past few seasons. It’s dire up here and I look down to you lot to find some real entertainment and the past 10 years for us has been astronomical and I feel totally privileged to be a part of that. Anyway, of course I understand you Manc’s having more affiliation to the club as you’re local. But I’ve followed City since I was 8 years old and am just as passionate as you lot. I chant and sing along with our crowd, I dance around the house when we win, and I bleed blue when we lose. Even bringing my young lad up to be a blue.

In terms of local vs foreign fans, I’d say CFG are just as reliant on both in terms of revenue at least, and that makes all City fans - no matter how far away they support from - a very important part of our team. Of course, match day going blues put in the hard graft to attend games and support us, and I appreciate the thought that the likes of myself aren’t considered as big a fan as those people. But the direction that the club are steering in points to every corner of the globe, and we have fans all over the world who do what they can to support us, whether that’s buying merch, paying the fees for the sports channels, or even just hoping that we win, is in my opinion just as crucial.

Some are born here, some drawn here, but all call it home.

CTID.

Sorry, this will be long, for those of you with long-post-phobia...;)

Well...I am 50 years a Blue but I am not from Manchester. Born and raised in Ireland and now live outside Boston MA. So no, for those who think that you can only support your hometown team to be a real fan, I "chose" to follow City 50 years ago on my 8th birthday. That was the day that they beat United 3-1 at their place on the way to the title. Following year, FA Cup, year after that League Cup and Cup-Winners Cup. Yep I was nothing but a glory hunter. Not a real fan. Not a Manc.
Anyway, I still found myself growing up as the only City supporter in a sea of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and yes, Leeds fans - they were good then. Filthy, but good. But I also supported my local team down in Cork with as much fervour; Cork Hibernians were where it was at for me for my local club but everyone at home had a favourite English club as well. I was just the outlier following City, so I wore it like a badge of honour. I got more stubborn and loved them even more, the more abuse I got. I lamented 1972 as Rodney Marsh was my favourite player back then, but I know how the chemistry of that great side was affected by his arrival. I cheered as loudly as anyone when Law's backheel hit the net (of course it was over radio for me). I went fucking wild when Tueart's overhead went in; the only one in a roomful of other club's supporters to jump on a school desk (I was then 16 and in boarding school - with even more Liverpool/United/Leeds (and curiously, one fanatic Stoke supporter...;) This one was on TV though.) By then, I had prevailed upon my uncle (RIP) to take me to a game at Maine Road. We traveled by ferry to Liverpool and bus to Manchester and taxi to the old ground. I was in absolute awe. It was pissing rain as I recall and I was really sick. But I saw my hero Rodney score the only goal against Stoke and I traveled back to Ireland the following day with a 102 degree temperature but absolutely ecstatic. I just recall the huge mass of the Kippax heaving - or maybe it was the huge congestion and dizziness. I prefer to think of it as sheer ecstasy. That was November 1974.

Yeah the 70's were great; we were damn good. And almost won it all in '77. Not to be. Then the Allison years...Fast forward to '81 and Ricky Fucking Villa. Heartbroken. Saw City in Cork later that year. Met Joe Corrigan and said hello to Trevor Francis. Then relegation and Raddy Antic/Pleat and his stupid dance. Devastated. But ecstasy with Charlton in '85. After that, I left Ireland and although I celebrated promotion again with the Bradford game, I was traveling around and was really not as invested in City as I had been. That all changed when we went to the third tier. I was here in Boston when that happened. I couldn't believe it. That more than anything brought me "back" so to speak. The internet was well-established and I could follow again what was going on. I loved that team though (I was NOT at York away BTW...) and just happened to be back in Ireland for the '99 playoffs. I had two babies then and tried unsuccessfully to travel to London for the Gillingham match...my American missus was having none of it. So I contented myself with watching it on TV. Well we all know how that turned out. My 3 year old son turned around and asked his mother; "Why is Daddy crying?" As I later told the now 21-year old boy; "It's because the club was probably saved by this result. Oh yeah, and it completely outdid United's poxy "comeback" in the Cl final a few days before."

Then the takeover - Garry Cook - Leslie - Mancini - Yaya at Wembley. I cried again and made my kids do the Poznan. And then of course...Aguerrrrooooo. As I am sure many of you had, I had a moment with my City fanatic son that day. Still get choked up. "nuff said.

Oh boy, to make a long story short, I have been to the Etihad. 2005 to see Stuart Pearce's turgid side grind out a 0-0 with Blackburn Rovers. It is not a cheap journey for me. I made a lot of friends on the old TalkinCity messageboard and met up with many of them (some still on here) that first time. Had my name read out over the tannoy before the game too - thanks H. Boy what a time I had though. I have never been made more welcome anywhere. We drank long into the night. I will never forget and cannot believe that I haven't managed to be back since then. But I will. Financial constraints have really stopped me in my tracks - paying for college over here is a travesty - but also the incredible coverage of all the Prem games over here in the US is first-class. Take a bow, NBCSports - and for your fair reporting. So yeah, bit of an armchair supporter too.

So I have not been to Manchester since the takeover although traveled to see City when they come to the States. I dearly want to get back before all our legends retire or go elsewhere. I have promised my son that I will take him over once he graduates college. That's May 2019. We have seen City 4 times in the flesh over here but we need to get back over to see God's own in their own playground.

I envy and applaud the incredible fans who travel to away matches. They have spent much of their hard-earned money to follow a football club that mean so much to them. Heard you loud and clear at West Ham today. Best fans in the world. I am just a 58 year old gloryhunter from afar who took this club to my heart for no good reason as a callow 8 year old in West Cork than: "they wear sky blue; my favourite colour, and they just beat Manchester United. They must be good. I am following them now..."

Still here. Still a member of the Boston branch of the City Supporters club. Still have my blue pint glass that I drink from when we win and listen to Oasis "Masterplan" like I did today. Still get up at silly o' clock to watch them. Still hurt when they lose. (Still want fucking Liverpool to get their asses kicked in the CL so that our record-breakers will not be overshadowed.) Still want United to lose every game even if it was tiddleywinks. I despise them and the horse they rode in on. Still wear my City gear although it's tighter now.

Still and always will be a Blue, albeit from afar. Maybe not a born and raised Blue - God bless those who are. But a Blue. If you don't think so, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Wrong as it is...;)

CTID.
What an epic post. Thrilled to see a post from a fellow West Corkonian and fellow Cork Hibs fan, especially the side led by ex Blue, Dave Bacuzzi. What great days they were with k20+ crowds for the big games. I also was a big fan of Rodney Marsh and fondly remember his brief spell with Cork Hibs, and saw him score from a brilliant free kick at Flower Lodge, unfortunately the size of his match fee contributed to the financial collapse of the club in 1977. Not many football teams in the Irish towns in those days just the high population areas. Most youngsters who played football supported English top league teams. Some great memories, Wiggie R.I.P., Miah, Joe O'Grady, seeing Borussia Monchengladbach with Netzer, Vogts & Heynkes etc. Cork City are reigning League & F.A. cup champions but its not the same. In those days we all thought we were the only Blues in the country but time has shown me that we were few and far between but not alone. I hope you and your son get to see this great City side, I think they will be around for a while. A nice article on Hibs. here. http://backpagefootball.com/cork-hibernians-brief-history-magical-team/114600/

What an epic post. Thrilled to see a post from a fellow West Corkonian and fellow Cork Hibs fan, especially the side led by ex Blue, Dave Bacuzzi. What great days they were with k20+ crowds for the big games. I also was a big fan of Rodney Marsh and fondly remember his brief spell with Cork Hibs, and saw him score from a brilliant free kick at Flower Lodge, unfortunately the size of his match fee contributed to the financial collapse of the club in 1977. Not many football teams in the Irish towns in those days just the high population areas. Most youngsters who played football supported English top league teams. Some great memories, Wiggie R.I.P., Miah, Joe O'Grady, seeing Borussia Monchengladbach with Netzer, Vogts & Heynkes etc. Cork City are reigning League & F.A. cup champions but its not the same. In those days we all thought we were the only Blues in the country but time has shown me that we were few and far between but not alone. I hope you and your son get to see this great City side, I think they will be around for a while. A nice article on Hibs. here. http://backpagefootball.com/cork-hibernians-brief-history-magical-team/114600/

Brilliant; thanks for the article. Great stuff. Yeah I well remember that great side from the early 70's. Saw them many times. Wiggie, Tony Marsden, Miah - hat trick hero in the '72 FAI Cup Final only a week after Waterford (Alfie fucking Hale) snatched the league title from them at the Lodge. Had the privilege of playing pub soccer with Miah some years later; he still had it. And he called me a good player. I lived off that for a decade or two I reckon. Also managed to play on the Lodge pitch. Scored a goal and broke my ankle the same night...no half measures...:)

Anyway, great memories that you bring up. Yeah I did see ould Rodney play for Hibs that time, brief as it was. Last time I ever saw them. I did not get to see Borussia though, much to my regret.

Yes indeed, nice to meet a fellow West Cork Blue. There are not that many of us; back then, hardly any. The Few; the Proud and the Brave, as they say over here.

PM me if you want any details or want to catch up...

My wife was born in Manchester and has been a fan since she was a kid in the 60s. Had the junior season tickets and I think she sat in the bleachers at Maine Road.

When we met in 2005 I became a City fan by proxy and now k ow more about the goings on than she does!

We live in Kansas City, Kansas USA.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.