Long distance fans

Laughable, and, if I am honest, quite pathetic.

I live on the south coast, have a season ticket and have had that for the last 20 years, barring a couple due to restricted finances. There's ALWAYS been plenty of Blues down here that travel to games, ones that I have known for decades, since before I got my season ticket. Most of us have some sort of familial connection to Manchester, though you, and others wouldn't take that into consideration, whilst looking down your noses at us. Snobbery of the worst kind.
There you go. No connection to Manchester bar living in Ardwick for a year when I was 8 over my stepdad having a work project up there. He is a huge City fan though, as is his dad and as was his grandad. We all went through the 90s and kept following the club, buying tickets, buying shirts, supporting the club. Some people need to examine their attitude a bit in my opinion, never had fellow blues down as snobs.

I think a lot of people will be a little uncomfortable with this subject.
As a Mancunian I never really had much of a choice to make.
All my family were blues so I was brought up supporting my local team.
I will say there was a real sense of comaradery when we were in the lower divisions and nearly all the blues at the games home or away were Mancs
There is also a feeling of serving your time in the lower divisions and backing the club when we were crap.
Whilst I accept the club wants and needs all the fans they can get, if I am honest I find it difficult to see the logic in supporting a club just because they are successful.
I am also am slightly saddened when I meet someone in a City top and then when they speak they do so in some sort of strange accent. I certainly feel less of an affiliation with them.
We slagged off the rags for so long about this, old habits are hard to break.
believe there is a difference between glory hunters (rags who rarely go) and fans who having been going since the bad days. I having been following City about 20 years and me and my son travel up from Southampton every home game. You would be supprised the amount of City fans who are in supporters clubs and have been following City donkeys years. Now I have moved away should I now start supporting Saints.

I have to say the new glory hunting fans from abroad get on my wick,it's all a computer game to them with endless stats with no understanding or passion for the game orthe club,sorry you did ask
The stat hungry ones on here do my tits in. Usually American, never seen a game, yet come up with a thousand and one ways why a certain player is good for us. He's good in a pivot, has the most break ups, is the best this season at the flying mongoose. These ****s do my head in.

Fair play for picking City, especially as other clubs are more heavily promoted, but it's not always about stats.

In your situation you are looking for like minded fans who have chosen a club.
I genuinely feel I was born in Manchester and was almost born to support City there is really not a conscious choice, no different than being able to choose my eye colour just in my genes.
I was born and lived 8 miles from Maine Road until I was 18. My dad's a City fan and started taking me to games when I was 5. Both grandads were Blues who watched City all through the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. I know all about not having a conscious choice :-)

The stat hungry ones on here do my tits in. Usually American, never seen a game, yet come up with a thousand and one ways why a certain player is good for us. He's good in a pivot, has the most break ups, is the best this season at the flying mongoose. These ****s do my head in.

Fair play for picking City, especially as other clubs are more heavily promoted, but it's not always about stats.
Football is all about passion and loving certain players and being tribal not stats and no emotion,thats what i think anyway

Statistically speaking that's not true

They tend to 'support' the most famous teams and either rarely go or destroy the environment doing so.

A lot are mainly either the late 60s to early 80s fans or the first Keegan season, or the 2007 takeover onwards.

Anyone who 'chooses' a team isn't a real fan, more a customer.

Nah, there's a bunch of us since way before then.

I ended up a City fan at 12 due to Niall (please go fuck yourself nowadays) Quinn. Being Irish, I idolised him. I went to see City play in Dublin at a friendly and Kendall was manager. Around this time we'd good Irish connections, Curtis Fleming even had a trial that day for City(gave a way a penalty, trial over). But the atmosphere with the crowd won me over and there's a bunch of you bastards had no idea you set me up for 2 decades of torture before these glory days :-)

Overseas fans, being one, I am biased.

But I've no time for those who have a team right next to them and choose a bigger club. My brother in law lives a stones throw from Sheffield United and is a rag. That's a joke.

I get the fans who have family ties with the town of the team they support but have never understood people who just choose a random team. I’m in a good place to see different sides of the argument. I was born in Eccles, moved to Yorkshire at 21, both my lads were born here but support City because of me.

I just don’t get some of the hanging on. The difference between a lad from Hull supporting Liverpool and the Thai supporters groups that are mocked on here is simply distance.

I grew up in machester and stockport but moved south in 1995,following the work.
I havent lived closer than 150 miles since then.
Kept my season ticket and havent felt any less connection to the club. It kept me and my dad close, meeting up at the games. I formed a bond with the other far flung fans, especially the times we were a very poor team. When a home game starts at 6 in the morning and ends at 11 at night you end up spending a lot of time with the people you travel with and become really good friends. Most of the lads and lasses I travel with are not mancs, but they chose us or stuck with us through the wilderness years and their connection with the club is very strong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.