Long distance fans

They tend to 'support' the most famous teams and either rarely go or destroy the environment doing so.

A lot are mainly either the late 60s to early 80s fans or the first Keegan season, or the 2007 takeover onwards.

Anyone who 'chooses' a team isn't a real fan, more a customer.

really?
so one of the lads (he is in his fifties now, so
not sure thats the right word) travels with me up to games, chose city in the late 70's and has been going regularly home and away ever since, costing him jobs and girlfriends etc. is he a real fan or a customer?

What does long distance fans mean? It seems to be interpreted as new fans but it can just as easily be ‘old’ fans who have moved away from Manchester and still want to support the club. Is long distance, 50, 100, 200, 500 miles or out of the country, continent?
As a long distance fan who travels a round trip of 500 miles every home game, lost all ties to Manchester when I was 9 but still loves the club through good or bad, I can say I have encountered only welcome and friendliness from proper Mancs at the Etihad. Surely that’s how it should be. We sit in 101 and there seem to be quite a few long distance fans round us of many nationalities. They enjoy themselves, spend money and support the club. That must be good.

you cant support city you're not from round here

you cant empathise with me whilst I scream my adulation at our collection of Brazilians, Belgians, Spaniards, Argentines and Germans

As it happens I grew up with a former city player from the Royle / Keegan days and if we both walked round the Arndale he would be greeted with open arms (well maybe not quite because he wasn't that great) whereas according to some on here I should be off supporting my local team who would struggle to give Altrincham a game - Funny if you play for the team you can come from anywhere but god forbid you should want to support us

I have a slight family connection to City but don't claim that as a justification - I was there when we were shit and like most out of towners on here the cost to get to the handful of games we make each year would far outweigh the cost of most season tickets - We're not going away get over it

They tend to 'support' the most famous teams and either rarely go or destroy the environment doing so.

A lot are mainly either the late 60s to early 80s fans or the first Keegan season, or the 2007 takeover onwards.

Anyone who 'chooses' a team isn't a real fan, more a customer.
That's me.

I think a lot of people will be a little uncomfortable with this subject.
As a Mancunian I never really had much of a choice to make.
All my family were blues so I was brought up supporting my local team.
I will say there was a real sense of comaradery when we were in the lower divisions and nearly all the blues at the games home or away were Mancs
There is also a feeling of serving your time in the lower divisions and backing the club when we were crap.
Whilst I accept the club wants and needs all the fans they can get, if I am honest I find it difficult to see the logic in supporting a club just because they are successful.
I am also am slightly saddened when I meet someone in a City top and then when they speak they do so in some sort of strange accent. I certainly feel less of an affiliation with them.
We slagged off the rags for so long about this, old habits are hard to break.
Well I've supported City since they beat Reading (away) in the FA Cup 7-0. My father was in the army and I was a bit of a nomad.

Since then I've seen hundreds and hundreds of games and never lived within 80 miles of Manchester. I had a season ticket for six seasons but eventually gave it up because travelling was just too much. Leaving home at 6:30 am and getting back at 21:30 for a 3pm home kick off was just too much.

I've not done York away but Oxford away in the FA cup in about '73 when we won 5-2 and in the league. Home games in Division 3 against Walsall (3-3 I think) done many like that including Ipswich at home (League Cup) rained off... Poznan away, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Dortmund and Ajax away (until I realised how bent and corrupt the tournament is - won't be getting another penny out of me).

My finest moments were meeting Joe Mercer aand the team at Arsenal in about '71 and bing there in 93:20 moment.

None of the above makes me any more or less of a fan than the next person. I do it because I love City. Always gave done, always will do!

Laughable, and, if I am honest, quite pathetic.

I live on the south coast, have a season ticket and have had that for the last 20 years, barring a couple due to restricted finances. There's ALWAYS been plenty of Blues down here that travel to games, ones that I have known for decades, since before I got my season ticket. Most of us have some sort of familial connection to Manchester, though you, and others wouldn't take that into consideration, whilst looking down your noses at us. Snobbery of the worst kind.
Fuck off, you’re from Longsight you lying lazy ****

Not sure how anyone can work out what type of supporter or how passionate/committed someone is by their accent.

I can't really see the point in pigeon-holing fans who turn up to the games, some "tourists" can bring more enthusiasm than the perma-moaning regulars forever slagging off Sterling or whoever is the latest victim of their vitriol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.