Long distance fans

The stat hungry ones on here do my tits in. Usually American, never seen a game, yet come up with a thousand and one ways why a certain player is good for us. He's good in a pivot, has the most break ups, is the best this season at the flying mongoose. These ****s do my head in.

Fair play for picking City, especially as other clubs are more heavily promoted, but it's not always about stats.
Probably comes from their NFL and all other US sports culture, where stats are key.

Its something I dont really understand to be honest. Listening to talksport yesterday and loads of Liverpool fans ringing up, about one of them was scouse, the rest were from Wales or Devon etc I just cant get my head around supporting a team you have no connection to who play miles away just because they were winning things when you grew up, surely the bond you have with your football club stems from local pride?

Dont get me wrong obviously Mancs who have moved away its easy to understand but when you speak to out of town reds they all say their dad was from Manchester, what a coincidence.

I am a manc but moved away to Kent when I was 5. I am 3rd generation City and with kids and grandkids we are now 5th generation City. It does worry me that we are seen as plastic or glory hunters as none of us have manc accents ....I have a slight one .
To me i am the biggest City fan ever ! I have always worn my City clothes with pride even in the dark days. It was me saying to the world we may be shit but its my City my roots my birthplace.
We shouldn't judge other fans without manc accents my lads are as mad about City as me, they like the fact that their family roots are all City from Grandad to great grandad. If you meet us at a match I guess some would think gloryhuntets or plastic ....you would be so wrong. So when I come up for the Brighton game and you hear a slightly funny manc and Kent accent its me not a plastic .....
Yes I do often wounder if fans who aren't from Manchester feel the same same as we mancs do but I will never know !

A Blue from Falkirk and not once have I been treated as an outsider following City.
All to a man have had no problem of where I'm from.
Fair play to you lad is the most common saying I hear.

From an old glory hunting fan of over 50 yrs.,from abroad, I am sorry about your wick but tarring "them all" with the same brush is ridiculous and falls way below the usual standard of you posts.
I said new as in since we are regularly winning things and was more about the fifa stats approach,respect to you for 50yrs

Last edited:
have to encourage and welcome everybody these days, and anyone supporting manchester city is alright by me.
the local manchester match going supporters are amazing but the clubs cannot rely on geography alone in the era of a global game.
my family left the bradford area in the 90s and while my father and i still heavily support city, my younger brother has no interest in football anymore.

I don't care where you're from. I think it's different for each individual. I think the connection comes with emotional investment. If you've got up at 3 in the morning to watch us every week cos you're on the other side of the world and we win/lose the league (or get relegated) on the last game, you're probably going to feel similar amount of joy/pain as those of us lucky enough to go to games, or had City choose us through our location/family.

However, having had City forced upon me, I'm not sure about how the initial choice happens. I enjoy NFL and I'd like to support a team but I feel I need something I can grab hold of to give me that first affiliation and therefore invest my time in that team. Like if someone tapped me on the shoulder and said 'here you are mate, you've just dropped your wallet' and he/she was an American wearing a Kansas City Chiefs top, then I'd have this fledgling emotional attachment with KC and I could perhaps start to grow it.

I don't think the connection comes with how much you spend in the internet club shop.

I don't care where you're from. I think it's different for each individual. I think the connection comes with emotional investment. If you've got up at 3 in the morning to watch us every week cos you're on the other side of the world and we win/lose the league (or get relegated) on the last game, you're probably going to feel similar amount of joy/pain as those of us lucky enough to go to games, or had City choose us through our location/family.

However, having had City forced upon me, I'm not sure about how the initial choice happens. I enjoy NFL and I'd like to support a team but I feel I need something I can grab hold of to give me that first affiliation and therefore invest my time in that team. Like if someone tapped me on the shoulder and said 'here you are mate, you've just dropped your wallet' and he/she was an American wearing a Kansas City Chiefs top, then I'd have this fledgling emotional attachment with KC and I could perhaps start to grow it.

I don't think the connection comes with how much you spend in the internet club shop.
I think making "the choice" makes the connection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.