Long lost family

My dad discovered in his 70’s that the girl he thought was his auntie was, in fact, his sister. My gran had given birth at 14 and the girl had been ‘adopted’ by her mother (and his gran). It was the late 1920’s. The charade had been kept up right until my gran died in 2001. Pretty fucked up situation. My gran was a very hard woman. Proper abrasive Mancunian, although she doted on me.

Tragically, his sister died alone in a mental hospital in 1983. Heartbreaking.

When people talk of slipping social standards today, they should remember the evil that was commmited in the name of social morality from the late-Victorian era up to the 1960’s.

My mum, born in 1928, was brought up thinking her auntie (who was married) was her mum and that her true mum (who wasn't married) was her auntie. She only found out at the age of 14 when her true mum died young and a relative told her it was her fault.

Fucked up situation made worse by social mores. She worked at the post office and lost 11 years' pension because she wouldn't produce her birth certificate (showing no father), which was required to become a pensionable employee.

In Huddersfield there always finding out there sisters are there mother's there father's are there brothers, they like to fuck each other the udders family

My mum, born in 1928, was brought up thinking her auntie (who was married) was her mum and that her true mum (who wasn't married) was her auntie. She only found out at the age of 14 when her true mum died young and a relative told her it was her fault.

Fucked up situation made worse by social mores. She worked at the post office and lost 11 years' pension because she wouldn't produce her birth certificate (showing no father), which was required to become a pensionable employee.
It’s incredible the lengths people would go to back then to avoid public shaming. Not an era I’d relish living in.

It’s incredible the lengths people would go to back then to avoid public shaming. Not an era I’d relish living in.
On my mum’s side of the family her aunt Bessie got pregnant outside wedlock & was packed off to Australia. So I’ve got family there, first & second cousins, of whom I’ve met one many years ago when she came over here.

These things happen more recently than you’d think. When I was a kid, my older sister got “scarlet fever” and had to spend a year in Sheffield.

Only when I was about 50 did I learn she’d gone away to give birth to a kid and presumably been forced to give him away.

Being estranged from my sister, I’ve never met him. Don’t even know if she kept in any sort of touch with him either. Almost certainly not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.