Long term contracts: plus and minus?

eversince 76

Great news with David Silva the latest one to extend his contract. As a fan I'm thrilled to know El Magico will be with us, as he is simply a fantastic player to watch. We definitely need to get a steady song going for him, but that's another topic.
With Nasri and Kolarov extending their contracts, and Mangala signing a 5 year dela as well, it seems long contracts is what the board wants. I expect Aguero, Kompany, already on long term deals, and probably Dzeko to extend as well.

I do get the impression that Txiki and Soriano are negotiating the players to lower or even their salary, and adding a bigger bonus. Anyone agree?
And what do you reckon, is that simply to keep the players on a longterm contract hungry? Or is it a way to cope with the "fair" play rules? Not sure if a bonus adds to the in- and outgoings going by these rules.
Is having players on a longterm contract nowadays more a plus or a minus? I'm just happy to know players like Kompany, Silva, Zabaleta and Aguero, to name 4 who I think we can all agree on deserving a longterm contract by any means, will play for us in the upcoming years.

Having your best players on a long term contract is a plus

It's all about the mentality of the player tho, I was surprised Nasri was offered such a long deal as I think he is the kind of player that needs motivation to perform, and knowing a new contract is up for grabs every couple of years would keep him on his toes

Don't think it matters as much with players like Kompany, Aguero and Silva, they will give their all week in week out regardless of how long their contract is

I assume the contracts are a lower basic plus Bonus heavy, the incentive is therefore success on the field plus the Bonuses are not part of the FFP remit so its a win win for Club and Player.

Rösler von Stretfordbömber said:
Amortisation. Big plus with longer-term contracts - particularly as long as those bent UEFA twats are messing about in our shop.

I thought amortisation was only worked out based on the first deal signed.

So for instance we signed Silva in 2010 for £25m on a 4 year deal. Amortisation would be £6.25m per season until 2014 then his fee is off our books.

jimbopm said:
Amortisation. Big plus with longer-term contracts - particularly as long as those bent UEFA twats are messing about in our shop.

So for instance we signed Silva in 2010 for £25m on a 4 year deal. Amortisation would be £6.25m per season until 2014 then his fee is off our books.

Correct.

Fallingbostel Blue said:
I assume the contracts are a lower basic plus Bonus heavy, the incentive is therefore success on the field plus the Bonuses are not part of the FFP remit so its a win win for Club and Player.

Agreed, it just shows you how crooked FFP is when we can dish out new contracts for our best players this summer yet 'reduce' the wage bill, genius accounting from City.

Chippy_boy said:
jimbopm said:

Correct.

But you could style a new long-term deal as an extension of the existing one. I think that would be how they would handle all these renewals for current players. They were certainly on about that with Nasri.

Having your best players signed up to long term deals can only been seen as a negative. I was disappointed with the Community Shield performance and then they compound that with the news that Silva is contracted until 2019. This has to be among the worst 3 days in City's history. Some good news please, City.

chris85mcfc said:
Having your best players on a long term contract is a plus

It's all about the mentality of the player tho, I was surprised Nasri was offered such a long deal as I think he is the kind of player that needs motivation to perform, and knowing a new contract is up for grabs every couple of years would keep him on his toes

Don't think it matters as much with players like Kompany, Aguero and Silva, they will give their all week in week out regardless of how long their contract is

Agree with all of this. I think signing a few big hitters to long term deals this summer is to do with the contract freeze thing FFP has put on us. Less so amortisation as Komps and Silva were already on long term deals weren't they? Although I imagine it's played a part

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.