Looking down on 'glory hunters' is arrogance

Dobsy

Lately on the forum I've noticed an increase in comments about new fans being 'glory hunters', along with a derisive attitude towards foreign fans - particularly Bosnians.

I understand why there is a sense of pride and community among Mancunian city fans given recent history, especially as I got my first season ticket in 1995. But it doesn't excuse this 'us and them' attitude: it's just pompous and arrogant.

Firstly, it's no sacrifice for a manc to support their local team: the team is full of world class players. Why should some kid in China support the local club when the standard of football is crap and they can watch the best teams in the world with less effort on TV?

Secondly, given FFP the future competitiveness of the club from now on depends on expanding the global fanbase.

Thirdly, there isn't only one 'right' reason to support a club. We all have our own stories: I support City because my Dad started taking me when I was 6. My brother's mate started going when he moved to Manchester to study. We'll have fans in China because of Sun Jihai. An on and on.

So in short, I suggest certain people wind their necks in.

Dobsy.

Dobsy said:
Lately on the forum I've noticed an increase in comments about new fans being 'glory hunters', along with a derisive attitude towards foreign fans - particularly Bosnians.

I understand why there is a sense of pride and community among Mancunian city fans given recent history, especially as I got my first season ticket in 1995. But it doesn't excuse this 'us and them' attitude: it's just pompous and arrogant.

Firstly, it's no sacrifice for a manc to support their local team: the team is full of world class players. Why should some kid in China support the local club when the standard of football is crap and they can watch the best teams in the world with less effort on TV?

Secondly, given FFP the future competitiveness of the club from now on depends on expanding the global fanbase.

Thirdly, there isn't only one 'right' reason to support a club. We all have our own stories: I support City because my Dad started taking me when I was 6. My brother's mate started going when he moved to Manchester to study. We'll have fans in China because of Sun Jihai. An on and on.

So in short, I suggest certain people wind their necks in.

Dobsy.

You do realise that on Blue Moon anyone and I mean anyone, who was not at York away is a glory hunter (rolls back eyes)

what is a glory hunter though? i consider myself a City fan since November 9, 2002, when MCFC defeated MUFC. MUFC was one of the biggest clubs in the world and i began rooting for the team that destroyed them. is there glory in supporting the giant slayer? if so, name me glory hunter and i will proudly bear this title. times have changed since, and now you can call me glory hunter in a big number of senses, but do i give a damn? answer is no. Manchester City is my only team in football since my local team got folded two years ago. i went through real rough times when my hockey team that i was a diehard fan of and was acquainted to almost all the players got killed in an air crash a year ago. City helped me make through this. call me whatever, but i have City written all over me even though i have never been to Manchester and never hit the Etihad stands. i am proud to be a glory hunter.

Yes , it must have been my imagination that we had a crowd or two of over 47,000 at the Etihad/COMS back in our very first season there .... . must also have been my imagination that the arabs , Shinawatra or any serious silverware were at the club , as they surely must have done by that point to attract the 'glory-hunters' that we must have had back then !

The main form of arrogance is deluded and ignorant rival supporters suggesting we've all come out of the woodwork of late , when quite clearly we haven't !

Колобок said:
what is a glory hunter though? i consider myself a City fan since November 9, 2002, when MCFC defeated MUFC. MUFC was one of the biggest clubs in the world and i began rooting for the team that destroyed them. is there glory in supporting the giant slayer? if so, name me glory hunter and i will proudly bear this title. times have changed since, and now you can call me glory hunter in a big number of senses, but do i give a damn? answer is no. Manchester City is my only team in football since my local team got folded two years ago. i went through real rough times when my hockey team that i was a diehard fan of and was acquainted to almost all the players got killed in an air crash a year ago. City helped me make through this. call me whatever, but i have City written all over me even though i have never been to Manchester and never hit the Etihad stands. i am proud to be a glory hunter.
90% of the people on Citys facebook group

We realise it's an unfortunate part of becoming a successful club, doesn't mean we have to be happy about it, let alone embrace the drooling cretins that suddenly decide they're blues following that goal.

I agree with what you say Dobsy! I've supported City since 1955 but I've actually missed many memorable moments in the club's history, but then I've been fortunate to see a fair few. I went to every home game the season when City became the only team ever both to score and concede a hundred goals in a season! But then I wasn't one of the 134 000 City fanatics who crowded into St James's Park (sorry, the SportsDirect Arena) to see City win the title in 1968, and I didn't go to York either: then again I didn't storm out of Wembley at the end of normal time in 1999 and I didn't leave early last May, 13 either! There have been times in the last 50+ years when I haven't been able to afford to watch City, but in the late 90s I thought "God, this is bloody serious. We'd better get along to Maine Road." So we paid to see some of the worst ...

Had we not gone in the 90s the seats would have been empty: today people are only too keen to fill empty seats. They may be glory hunters, even from down south, but most are ordinary people choosing to watch the most talked about team in football. And guess what - many of them take their kids, and they're the City fans of tomorrow. And in Europe, North America and Asia there will be kids fantisising about what it was like to score that goal, in the 93rd minute of the last match of the season, to win the title. New supporters inspired by a truly dramatic moment in time. City fans are not a predestined elite of martyrs who have to have had their noses rubbed in every humiliation the club's ever suffered for years. I've loved City for half a century - so welcome aboard newcomers.

Actually, I have no problem at all with 'gloryhunters'. I openly welcome any and all City fans whether they discovered us in 1932 or 2011. It matters not, here we are a single family and a single voice willing on a team and more than that, an entire Club to fulfill both our and their ambitions of becoming successful. If they are posting regularly on here or any other site about City, then they are absolutely good enough for me. It shows an obsession that we can all relate to, a shared passion that we can all express.

However, I absolutely despise some people who come on here who are not City fans. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Liverpool, United or any other clubs fans coming on here, identifying themselves as such and posting. Whilst we may hold their individual clubs in contempt, we appreciate that they also have their footballing passion for their club like we do for ours. Bluemoon policy in practice is to treat them as guest in our home. If they want to come and have a chat then they are more than welcome to. If they pop round, tell you that you make a shit brew, have a crap carpet and your hedge needs cutting, we throw them out of the site as anybody would throw them out of their house.
This little "house" on the internet is populated by City fans and any fans who come to try and purposely upset the population are sharply dispatched.

My problem though, is with a certain subsection of fans. These are fans who are exploiting our system and working in the darkness and loopholes. They are the "temporary City fans" who are here purely because their favourite player is here. They share no love or passion for this club, no more than they have a love or passion for a train station that they stop at on a journey. Thus, they are neither opposition fans nor City fans and can get away with absolutely slating the club, players and management without any problem. They get the benefits of being a City fan without actually being a City fan. They are the termites that live in the house, eating it from within and moving on once their colony moves on.

More to the point, they make the forum fucking impossible to post on at times. I've literally just stopped writing anything about football on here now simply because of how many eggshells we have to take, lest we make anything that isn't viewed as a 100% positive comment about one of their idols. Here's an example. After the last game, I put this innocuous comment in the post match thread:

Dzeko still poor, not clinical and almost no ability to control a ball to feet. His timing was also way off, he broke down two counter attacks with how long he dwelled on the ball. He might have scored one, but Aguero would have had a hattrick today.
Toure was so bad that we had to bring Milner on just to help him.

Apart from that, pretty much happy days. Tevez was excellent but a special mention for Rodwell, who was my MOTM by far. Silva showed signs of being back to his best, Nasri did his job, and it was great to see Razak get some minutes under his belt.

There are some problems to address during the break, but we're doing ok.

I was immediately jumped on by the "temporary City" fan club, but that's fine as I was willing to back up the point I was challenged on using statistics

He passed directly to the opposition on 9 occasions. That's not an exaggeration, it's the documented figures. He was tackled and lost possession on 4 separate occasions. He lost the ball due to poor control on 3 separate occasions. By my math, that's 16 times in the game that he lost possession.

No player who loses possession in the game 16 times can be said to have had a "fantastic game". His pass accuracy was 10% lower than every other outfield player on the team. It was 12% lower than his strike partner. It was 15% below the team average.
As a decent comparison, it was 18% below Robin Van Persie's against Fulham last week.

And he wasn't "brilliant on the counter". On the three occasions that he gained the ball on a counter attack, he held up the ball far too long and slowed us down resulting in their being no point of having a counter attack.

Last season, Dzeko lost the ball due to poor control more than any other player in the entire squad. 54 times in 16 starts and 14 sub appearances. I repeat, this is just from poor control. He lost the ball due to poor passing and getting tackled too.

2 pretty normal Bluemoon posts, especially in the post-match thread where the performance of players from the game IS THE ENTIRE POINT. It's what we made the thread for. Literally, it's the point of it.

This then prompted a 53 PAGE THREAD started by his fan club declaring that Dzeko was being bullied by City fans and that we should leave him alone. 53 page thread that sucked in regular members into an argument that didn't need to happen because a non-City fan decided that he didn't like people who went to watch Dzeko live commenting on his performance then using facts to back this up. From this spawned another thread in which Edin vs Mario was the topic, another massive thread that sucked regular members into bitching and has resulted in a couple of reports. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered about discussing these things, but the polarising influence that the "fan clubs" have to this site is bullshit.

I used to take an ambivalent and even positive stance on this, but I've gotten more and more sick of it as the months have rolled by. We've had Tevez fans, Balo fans, Dzeko fans, and the like come onto the forum and literally cause arguments because somebody dare have the absolute cheek to say something that was derogatory to their hero.

As I say, I do want to stress that two City fans arguing on here about a player or whatever is completely different to a City fan and a non-City fan which is completely different to a "fan club" fan versus a City fan.

The internet is not a small place. It's pretty much infinite. I see no reason why we should have to put up with this disruptive shit every single week, because one player plays for us.

Damocles said:
Actually, I have no problem at all with 'gloryhunters'. I openly welcome any and all City fans whether they discovered us in 1932 or 2011. It matters not, here we are a single family and a single voice willing on a team and more than that, an entire Club to fulfill both our and their ambitions of becoming successful. If they are posting regularly on here or any other site about City, then they are absolutely good enough for me. It shows an obsession that we can all relate to, a shared passion that we can all express.

However, I absolutely despise some people who come on here who are not City fans. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Liverpool, United or any other clubs fans coming on here, identifying themselves as such and posting. Whilst we may hold their individual clubs in contempt, we appreciate that they also have their footballing passion for their club like we do for ours. Bluemoon policy in practice is to treat them as guest in our home. If they want to come and have a chat then they are more than welcome to. If they pop round, tell you that you make a shit brew, have a crap carpet and your hedge needs cutting, we throw them out of the site as anybody would throw them out of their house.
This little "house" on the internet is populated by City fans and any fans who come to try and purposely upset the population are sharply dispatched.

My problem though, is with a certain subsection of fans. These are fans who are exploiting our system and working in the darkness and loopholes. They are the "temporary City fans" who are here purely because their favourite player is here. They share no love or passion for this club, no more than they have a love or passion for a train station that they stop at on a journey. Thus, they are neither opposition fans nor City fans and can get away with absolutely slating the club, players and management without any problem. They get the benefits of being a City fan without actually being a City fan. They are the termites that live in the house, eating it from within and moving on once their colony moves on.

More to the point, they make the forum fucking impossible to post on at times. I've literally just stopped writing anything about football on here now simply because of how many eggshells we have to take, lest we make anything that isn't viewed as a 100% positive comment about one of their idols. Here's an example. After the last game, I put this innocuous comment in the post match thread:

Dzeko still poor, not clinical and almost no ability to control a ball to feet. His timing was also way off, he broke down two counter attacks with how long he dwelled on the ball. He might have scored one, but Aguero would have had a hattrick today.
Toure was so bad that we had to bring Milner on just to help him.

Apart from that, pretty much happy days. Tevez was excellent but a special mention for Rodwell, who was my MOTM by far. Silva showed signs of being back to his best, Nasri did his job, and it was great to see Razak get some minutes under his belt.

There are some problems to address during the break, but we're doing ok.

I was immediately jumped on by the "temporary City" fan club, but that's fine as I was willing to back up the point I was challenged on using statistics

He passed directly to the opposition on 9 occasions. That's not an exaggeration, it's the documented figures. He was tackled and lost possession on 4 separate occasions. He lost the ball due to poor control on 3 separate occasions. By my math, that's 16 times in the game that he lost possession.

No player who loses possession in the game 16 times can be said to have had a "fantastic game". His pass accuracy was 10% lower than every other outfield player on the team. It was 12% lower than his strike partner. It was 15% below the team average.
As a decent comparison, it was 18% below Robin Van Persie's against Fulham last week.

And he wasn't "brilliant on the counter". On the three occasions that he gained the ball on a counter attack, he held up the ball far too long and slowed us down resulting in their being no point of having a counter attack.

Last season, Dzeko lost the ball due to poor control more than any other player in the entire squad. 54 times in 16 starts and 14 sub appearances. I repeat, this is just from poor control. He lost the ball due to poor passing and getting tackled too.

2 pretty normal Bluemoon posts, especially in the post-match thread where the performance of players from the game IS THE ENTIRE POINT. It's what we made the thread for. Literally, it's the point of it.

This then prompted a 53 PAGE THREAD started by his fan club declaring that Dzeko was being bullied by City fans and that we should leave him alone. 53 page thread that sucked in regular members into an argument that didn't need to happen because a non-City fan decided that he didn't like people who went to watch Dzeko live commenting on his performance then using facts to back this up. From this spawned another thread in which Edin vs Mario was the topic, another massive thread that sucked regular members into bitching and has resulted in a couple of reports. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered about discussing these things, but the polarising influence that the "fan clubs" have to this site is bullshit.

I used to take an ambivalent and even positive stance on this, but I've gotten more and more sick of it as the months have rolled by. We've had Tevez fans, Balo fans, Dzeko fans, and the like come onto the forum and literally cause arguments because somebody dare have the absolute cheek to say something that was derogatory to their hero.

As I say, I do want to stress that two City fans arguing on here about a player or whatever is completely different to a City fan and a non-City fan which is completely different to a "fan club" fan versus a City fan.

The internet is not a small place. It's pretty much infinite. I see no reason why we should have to put up with this disruptive shit every single week, because one player plays for us.

I share your frustration.

Although I'd extend the termite analogy to all gloryhunters in general, passing through until we go through a mild drought.

Re the Dzeko fanboys, Eagles Fan is long overdue a ban IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.