Lord Steel aware Cyril Smith was abusing boys

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nellies left peg, 25 Feb 2020.

1. RayCTID

RayCTID

Football isn't any different.

2. Scottyboi

Scottyboi

Should be convicted of aiding him and hung as an example too all the others in power.

3. Nellies left peg

Nellies left peg

Anywhere where people have power or control over others is open to abuse and generally is

RayCTID likes this.
  4. I'm With Stupid

I'm With Stupid

I think rape in general wasn't taken seriously. To be honest, we're only just getting to the stage where rape of women is taken seriously, and rape of men still isn't. But I think it's more a case of valuing the reputation of certain organisations above the victims, be it a church, a political party or a charity. That and not wanting to rock the boat with powerful people.

I remember watching that Stacey Dooley documentary about Japan where they were basically pimping out school girls on the streets of Tokyo and when the police arrived, it was the documentary crew that got into trouble for shining a light on things rather than the people who were abusing underage girls. A lot of people just prefer to pretend that these things don't happen and not think about them. And if you can dehumanize the victims (e.g. they're all sluts and bad girls anyway), all the better to help you not see it as a problem.

Having said all that, I think in most cases, people were operating on rumours and speculation, rather than concrete facts that someone was a child abuser.

BrianW likes this.
  5. Nellies left peg

Nellies left peg

MI5 and thatcher and tebbit knew about sir Peter Morrison abusing a 15 year old but did nothing. The political class is riddled from top to bottom

mat and BrianW like this.
  6. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Big Rover, IIRC!

7. Mazzarelli's Swiss Cheese

Mazzarelli's Swiss Cheese

Team supported:
    FC Zurich (and city of course)
    I read that as Philadelphia. I thought this was strange as I can only remember having dairylea in the 70's.

8. Blue Mist

Blue Mist

Excellent post. As you say, to show the church (or any other organisation) in a bad light was just not done. I now know of an individual in the local church who was moved when he was found out and of course that is now being reported within the Catholic Church at large. And again your last paragraph, dehumanise the victims, Only now do we consider children in care who have been sexually abused as victims, back then they were sluts who probably wanted it. Hell that generation were fucked up.

9. kippax4ever

kippax4ever

That's what he called then,lol

10. oldius

oldius

That the Westminster dossier went missing is one of the great scandals of our time, yet it attracts very, very little media attention. Why is that?