Lords reform

Halfpenny

Looks like this is the Lib Dems' new pet project (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqNHF7dFReI) since electoral reform crashed and burned. I've looked at the case for and against in the last couple of weeks for a uni essay and I'd be interested to see what the general consensus on this is. I'd start by saying that the Lords as it currently exists does a reasonable job in holding the government to account (to date there have been 43 government defeats in the Lords since the coalition came into power) However, its effectiveness as a check and balance on the Commons could be helped by at least an element of democracy as it could lead to an enhancement of its powers over the simple delay/amendment powers it currently has. I think a partially elected, partially appointed house would maintain a level of expertise and the neutral cross-bench element while the democratisation element could mean there is more scope for the upper chamber to influence bills. At the same time I wouldn't make it majority elected as it would simply be another layer of heavily whipped career politicians who offer nothing in the way of scrutiny. I would also get rid of the hereditary peers and the Bishops; we are currently one of two countries with religious figures sitting in the legislature. The other is Iran.

Ultimately it boils down to what you prefer: the ease of passing bills or making sure that what is passed is good legislation. I think the latter can only be achieved with the upper chamber having more power than it currently does, which could come with democratisation. (repeal of the Parliament Act, perhaps?)

Interesting that when Clegg was standing in at PMQs last week and got an awkward question on Lords reform from a Tory backbencher, along the lines of 'why do the public care about this at a time when other things are more important to them', he cited the boundary changes/reduction of MP numbers as something else. Could be very interesting if the Tories block the Lib Dems on this, because it could become a pretty big sticking point for the entire coalition, bigger than tuition fees without doubt and potentially bigger than the division caused by the AV referendum.

So, thoughts?

Not The Lords Of The New Church reorming then? Bit difficult eeing as their frontman Stiv Bators is dead. Though doesn't always appear to get in the way of some bands doing it....

lordsofthenewchurch.jpg

Partially elected, partially appointed, I think thats the fairest way. People like Lord Sugar are needed in there to offer wise counsel unaffected by wanting to appease the public.

Why do the Lib Dems keep trying to act like they are important or that anyone cares

The house of Lords does a fairly good job at the moment i can see no reason to change it as it stands

I would like to see a lower house where the members were elected via proportional representation and formed the goverment of the day.

I would then want the upper house to be made up of MP's much as it is today. However I would make it unlawful for them to be associated with any political party. Truly independent MP's representing the interests of their constituents rather than the party machine, which is what an MP is supposed to do - although we all know that is a lie. It would attract more public spirited and possibly maverick individuals who would be there to properly represent their constituents best interests. A lack of career path into government from this position would be its strength, not its weakness.

I know many highly intelligent and successful people who would not consider a career in politics under the current system whose attitude would change if this were to be the MO. It would attract community figures who were genuinely interested in doing the best for their area. From a voters point of view it would mean that they would be getting a higher standards of MP imo, as they would be voting for the individual rather than the party they are affiliated to, which is how I suspect 95% of voters vote. Has anyone ever asked a politician who supports the current system: "what if I agree with your party, but I think your candidate is a liar and incompetent - shall I vote for him?".

This system would be based in democracy, hold the government of the day to account and preserve the best theory of the current system -a person who is there to represent a particular area. Unfortunately turkeys don't vote for Christmas and the odds of MP's agreeing to effectively end their own career ambitions<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:43 am --<br /><br />Slim to say the least.

Apologies for any typos/ spelling mistakes. This phone is making me lose the will to live.

Get rid of it. Not needed.

I'd rather have a codified constitution enshrining the Salisbury-Addison convention, which would maintain a restriction on the government, disallowing them from passing anything not in their election manifesto. Singles policies, already decided by referenda, would also have to be overturned by referenda.

nashark said:
Get rid of it. Not needed.

I'd rather have a codified constitution enshrining the Salisbury-Addison convention, which would maintain a restriction on the government, disallowing them from passing anything not in their election manifesto. Singles policies, already decided by referenda, would also have to be overturned by referenda.
I thought the Salisbury Convention was merely in place to stop the Lords blocking something in the government manifesto, rather than prevent legislation being implemented because it isn't in a manifesto? I'd say it's a bit impractical as well, it would doubtless lead to incredibly vague manifestos to allow greater scope for policymaking (eg. saying 'we will promote growth and jobs' without actually saying how they'd do that. Suppose that happens today anyway). It also prevents the government reacting to changing circumstances towards the middle or end of their term of office.

I think a bicameral legislature is necessary, and it has to be said the Lords don't do a bad job as it is (unless they have vested interests, such as for the NHS bill). I think there will be an element of democracy introduced into the second chamber at some point soon, all three main parties had something about it in their manifestos, though the Tories were very vague on the details.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.