Love City, hate football

It is wonderful some of us lived through the Maine road days great bunch of lads didn’t give a fuck if we won or lost as we were all pissed having a great time, we knew we had zero chance of winning the league from the late 70’s onwards when I first started going but the buzz on a Saturday morning going to the greatest stadium in the world in moss side or going for the service/ special to away games will never be beaten, I am slowly now falling out of love with football will always love city but don’t have the desire anymore to go as it’s so corrupt and their not even hiding it. Pep has finally realised what we’re up against and it’s killing the game we’ve all loved growing up with, I think this will be my last season going regularly
Feel the heart has been ripped out of the game and it’s all designed to stop us and try to make the rags relevant again somehow along with the dippers,
Soon we will be in a mini league flying to Spain, Italy etc every other week as more moneys pumped in and football as we have known it will be no more

Love City, always have, always will......but hate "top flight" football.

Finances dictate that I cannot attend many City matches so I get my kicks watching non-league football - and it's very enjoyable.

Stand where/when you want, cheap entrance, no VA fookin R, honest hard tackling, no rolling around and diving, shite pitches........just like the 70's & 80's!!

Also, for me personally, everything changed with 93:20..........after that, I felt whatever I witnessed on a football pitch will never be beaten.

Just my opinion of course!!

It is wonderful some of us lived through the Maine road days great bunch of lads didn’t give a fuck if we won or lost as we were all pissed having a great time, we knew we had zero chance of winning the league from the late 70’s onwards when I first started going but the buzz on a Saturday morning going to the greatest stadium in the world in moss side or going for the service/ special to away games will never be beaten, I am slowly now falling out of love with football will always love city but don’t have the desire anymore to go as it’s so corrupt and their not even hiding it. Pep has finally realised what we’re up against and it’s killing the game we’ve all loved growing up with, I think this will be my last season going regularly
Feel the heart has been ripped out of the game and it’s all designed to stop us and try to make the rags relevant again somehow along with the dippers,
Soon we will be in a mini league flying to Spain, Italy etc every other week as more moneys pumped in and football as we have known it will be no more
No one can take them memories away boss..........we moaned back then too but didn't know what we had until we lost it.

Glad I was there .......I smile every day at events from then

They don't want 'our' type at football anymore (Working class, middle aged, beer monsters) - their dream is grounds full of day trippers that spend fortunes at the souvenir shops first. The next step after this is moving the games around the world to the highest bidder to maximise their income.
What they don't realise is that plastic fans create no atmosphere - Maybe then they'll just have canned atmosphere for the TV.

I remember when I stopped caring about the England football team. I have never worked out why I used to watch every game intensely to then thinking I'll give the game a miss (but suspect ITV coverage doesn't help) to physically not knowing who they play next and whether it's a friendly or a qualifier. I remember feeling sad about my change of desire, and still do a little.

All I know is my feeling towards modern club football feels similar to when I started to stop following the national team and it does worry me. It could be I hate all this celebrity style culture around footballers or all the competition between clubs for attendance figures and profit (thanks UEFA for FFP by the way) and the tosh they do to try to attract new fans.

Part of me wants less football, a lot less football.

Last edited:

Good post.

I’m a lot younger than you but I remember the excitement of the promotions in the last few years at Maine Road, the excitement of Sven’s season etc. and I just loved football then. We’d lose and I’d moan and be a bit upset with it but there was a great sense of optimism and I thought, whilst certain referees were crap, the game was fair.

FFPR, our punishments by the FA, the stinking decisions in our matches vs Liverpool etc. have left a very sour taste.

I’ve become fed up with football fans generally, the pundits and media too. I don’t like football players very much and I just generally think everyone involved with rugby and cricket are far more likeable.

I will keep my season ticket, as it’s only £310, being in SS3, but I am seriously at risk here of giving up my lifelong habit.

They don't want 'our' type at football anymore (Working class, middle aged, beer monsters) - their dream is grounds full of day trippers that spend fortunes at the souvenir shops first. The next step after this is moving the games around the world to the highest bidder to maximise their income.
What they don't realise is that plastic fans create no atmosphere - Maybe then they'll just have canned atmosphere for the TV.
This article needs no further comment ... https://qz.com/1758034/how-manchester-citys-owners-became-the-disney-of-sport/

Nearly 20 years ago the group’s chief executive, Ferran Soriano, was vice president and finance director of Spain’s FC Barcelona. During his spell there, Soriano spoke of his vision to build a football club in the image of the Walt Disney empire.

He foresaw the convergence of entertainment and sport in a globalizing world. And he also highlighted the role that franchising could play in football, along with the contribution that merchandise could make to club revenues.

Now, I quite like Disney, but somehow wouldn't want to go there every week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.