LP sales overtake CDs

This is true, engines and bodywork are virtually bullet proof these days, but the computerised stuff can be well dodgy, and very expensive. Better off with a mint low mileage, older car without all that gubbins. I hate all the touch screen crap for the radios too, and what's this 'Keyless' bollocks all about, what, exactly, is the hardship about remote unlocking, (good feature), then sticking the key in the ignition and starting the bloody thing?
Me too, especially when any warning light is an MOT failure, even if it’s something most cars don’t have.

I haven’t bought a CD for 13 years. Admittedly I have no vinyl whatsoever either. My hifi broke 2 years ago which I bought in 1997 and it won’t be getting replaced. The 200 CDs I have are gathering dust on the top shelf.
So you don’t like music...

I bought a Micromega stage 1 off eBay a couple of years ago, in near mint condition so I paid around £250 - worth every penny.

Here's one:

Bloody hell, I've got one of those in mint condition in the cupboard. Might be on ebay this afternoon

Is it expensive though? Allowing for inflation are they really more than they were in the 70's / 80's?

Ha ha, probably not, but in my mind LP's cost about a tenner like they did when I was in my teens! When my eldest lad brings home an album now and it's got a price sticker on it saying £24-99, I'm like "What is that, a treble or something?"

Unfortnately, vinyl and CD are now both irrelevent formats in terms of measuring chart success.

Quantities of vinyl being pressed are so limited the price of a new album is pushing £20+ which means it's a no from me.

Shame but that's the way it is...

Technically speaking, CDs are better quality. Vinyl is like people who prefer real film in photography. More because it has a particular sound quality rather than because it has a better quality sound. That and the experience of the whole thing.

It's also worth mentioning that people spend a lot of money on things they believe is better, which doesn't mean it is. There's a million dollar prize up for grabs for anyone who can reliably tell the difference between decent quality speaker cables and gold ones in a double-blind test. Nobody has claimed it yet.
Technically, CD's should be better sound quality than vinyl, but they aren't always. If you do a search for 'loudness wars' there is some interesting info on dynamic range and compression. Some CD are pretty much unlistenable on a quality hifi/speaker or headphones set up; the CD release of Metallica's Death Magnetic, and Led Zeppelin's Mothership are notable examples.

Totally with you on speaker cable and I/C's though. The only cables that sound different are either broken, or not fit for purpose.

And don't get me started on cable burn in......

Actually, I'm looking for some kind of 'machine' that I can load all my dust-gathering CDs onto. Any ideas you fuckin freaky techy geeks out there? What about one of those Brennans. No Chinese stuff!
Brennan B2 is superb if you can afford one.. I have a much cheaper version utilising Creation 5 , still works very well though. I use 2TB HDD. I rip the CD's in FLAC, the drive holds tons worth of CD's.

Actually, I'm looking for some kind of 'machine' that I can load all my dust-gathering CDs onto. Any ideas you fuckin freaky techy geeks out there? What about one of those Brennans. No Chinese stuff!
I'm looking into building a Raspberry Pi media server for my living room, possibly with ceiling mounted speakers (USB sound card and wired through an amp), controlled over WiFi from a phone app or laptop. I've already got some suitable HDD's which I've nabbed from a TIVO box. Just need a NAS chassis and a Pi/sound card. I've already got a suitable amp and speakers, so I recon I could knock something up for around £200.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.