Lucas Hernandez

United can't get antoine griezmann either lol

They can, it's only a ban on registering players. If the rags meet Griezmann's €87m release clause then Atleti have no say in the matter.

The only reason it stops us from getting Hernandez for a year is apparently we have an agreement with Atleti to buy below the release clause if we wait.

Edit: to reiterate, it's always possible Griezmann elects not to leave Atleti high and dry on replacing him by staying another year. Unlikely, but possible.

Lucas has a 55m release clause because he extended his contract at the start of May. Theo's clause, at the time of the agreement with Real, was lower. We're already buying at a discount, if this story is correct, which Atleti technically don't have to sell at.

On that note, it's remarkable to me that the club would wait an extra year over 5m. That should be proof for anyone that we aren't just throwing money at players with reckless abandon.

I think we're waiting the extra year to maintain a good relationship with Atlético, we seem to care a lot about being on the good side of big clubs, unlike the rags.

Bad news for Atleti if Griezmann is off to the swamp, though there's the chance he won't sell the club short or they'll pay him off to stick around.

If the COPE report is accurate, it means we will buy Lucas Hernandez next summer instead. Puts us in a somewhat unenviable position for the season coming, essentially relying on Otamendi to replicate his consistency from the last 4 months of the season to the majority of the next.

Forward planning for when Kolarov leaves I think - does mean that the VVD interest is probably genuine though.

I think Atletico should be able to convince Griezmann to stay 1 year,or 1/2 a year. They have done a lot for him

They can, it's only a ban on registering players. If the rags meet Griezmann's €87m release clause then Atleti have no say in the matter.

The only reason it stops us from getting Hernandez for a year is apparently we have an agreement with Atleti to buy below the release clause if we wait.

Edit: to reiterate, it's always possible Griezmann elects not to leave Atleti high and dry on replacing him by staying another year. Unlikely, but possible.
87m though. If united do that then surely they won't buy too many more if any

I think we're waiting the extra year to maintain a good relationship with Atlético, we seem to care a lot about being on the good side of big clubs, unlike the rags.

Looking at it a bit more, I think you're right. Seems a gentleman's agreement was made with Atleti likely aware the ruling wouldn't be overturned. They've already lost an entire season of scouting and talking to players, do I have no doubt that City's acquiescing to wait an extra year will help in future dealings with Atleti, along with the decrease in cost and guarantee of signing Lucas.

Forward planning for when Kolarov leaves I think - does mean that the VVD interest is probably genuine though.

I think Atletico should be able to convince Griezmann to stay 1 year,or 1/2 a year. They have done a lot for him

Could be. I think Hernandez makes an ideal Kolarov replacement, able to cover both LCB and LB, though you'd have to imagine he'd be groomed for a more permanent role alongside Stones for the long term.

As for Griezmann, I do wonder if the rags wouldn't just move on and throw €90-100m at Everton for Lukaku, or something else similarly outrageous, instead. if he has a big team that will commit to buying him in 2018 then I think there's a chance he won't sell Atleti short.

87m though. If united do that then surely they won't buy too many more if any

You'd be surprised. I think the rags are legitimately spooked by our fast and ruthless dealings this summer. €50m for Perisic is symptomatic of a team in panic buy mode who will eschew sensible transfer dealings for throwing money at big names with reckless abandon.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.