Luke Mbete | On loan at Huddersfield

Not sure about that. Ake maybe but certainly not Laporte. Given Stones’ injury history we’d be mad to get rid of Laporte unless Doyle or Mbete overtake him in the pecking order. Not gonna happen in 12 months!
The only caveat here is that Laporte wants out (or did in the summer).

He's a top class player but do we want players that don't want to play for us? If someone came in with 60-70m then I'd be tempted.

These kids have the potential to reach his level (I agree that's never happening in next 12 months) but they'll need minutes to get there.

Definitely hindsight and all that, but more and more I see that Ake was not a necessary signing.

Harwood-Bellis, C Doyle, Mbete... absolutely unreal CB talents at the club for the next 10 years we are amazing in this position.

Finley Burns too, but I put him just below and CJ Egan Riley is hard to judge because he mostly plays as like a defensive right back (inverted) anytime I see him.

It is definitely a hindsight situation - I don't think Stones was expected to be back in the fray like he currently is at the time Ake was bought.

That said though, I don't think Ake will be here long term. You never know if football, but I don't see him breaking through as a starting option for us with Dias and Stones here and at some point in the next couple of seasons I reckon he will push for a bigger role elsewhere.

I also don't think Laporte is going to stay here much longer, so that will open up an opportunity at CB. It would just be down to the club at that point to take a risk and give the spot to one of our academy lads and not buy another Ake for £40m.

The only caveat here is that Laporte wants out (or did in the summer).

He's a top class player but do we want players that don't want to play for us? If someone came in with 60-70m then I'd be tempted.

These kids have the potential to reach his level (I agree that's never happening in next 12 months) but they'll need minutes to get there.

Yeah fair enough I’d not want to stand in his way if he’s still pushing to leave. Given he seemed to be pissed off with game time though you’d hope he’ll get more of a chance and settle down again. Certainly started the season that way before this injury.

Agree the young lads need minutes, but starting the 22/23 season with Dias, an injury prone Stones and Ake, plus two 19 year olds would just be daft. 2019/20 all over again.

I kind of have already heard about and watched Mbete, so no too surprised at his performance. But Burns was a surprise package, he played equally well imo and there's also Callum Doyle at Sunderland and THB at Anderlecht. It will be disappointing if at least one of them didn't make the cut.

I see Luke turned 18 a few days before the game! That’s incredible. I thought he had a tremendous game, as did his partner Finley Burns.

I enjoyed his post-game interview on the official site. There’s a quiet determination about him to reach the top.

i know that he has modelled his game on Vinny, and I couldn’t think of a better role model.

Last edited:
He was the one I picked out during the fa youth cup win.
Still early days, but still looks good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.