Lyon CL QF | Pre-Match Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyon are a real danger, they have the perfect game to beat us.

We have struggled in the last few years against sides who break with real speed.
If we keep giving the ball away in their final third we will be punished.
We need a dynamic midfield against Lyon but I am sure Pep will go with Rodders and Gundo, if he does they will be either bypassed of just beaten for speed.
I think we will have to take a much higher percentage of our chances in order to progress past Lyon.
Not an easy task. Imho

We can't afford to rest anybody. They've beaten Juventus over two legs and got themselves to the last 8, We failed to beat them in the last two games...

Enough said. One off game anything is possible.

We need the combo of Rodri and Gundy against the best teams. Lyon are not to be underestimated by any means but we may need another formation against them, e.g. Bernardo instead of Gundy. IF we beat Lyon, we play 3 days later Bayern/Barca and then we would need Rodri & Gundy.

So, it's not really about resting players but finding the best formation for that particular game.

This is actually the best chance we’ve ever had to win the competition, ability wise & physically. But first we’ll have to get past OL,

let’s get it done City!!!

We need the combo of Rodri and Gundy against the best teams. Lyon are not to be underestimated by any means but we may need another formation against them, e.g. Bernardo instead of Gundy. IF we beat Lyon, we play 3 days later Bayern/Barca and then we would need Rodri & Gundy.

So, it's not really about resting players but finding the best formation for that particular game.

Yep I fully agree. I’d play B SIlva in the midfield 3.

Last edited:
Pep’s biggest job will be to prepare the team mentally.

Ensure the focus and motivation is there and no complacency creeps in. Play our game and don’t make mistakes at the back. Do that and we’ll destroy Lyon.

I was hoping for Juve... We can beat the slow tactical teams quite well I feel.

Lyon will play the exact same way as Wolves, United, Arsenal in the Cup etc. They will park the bus and break at speed with quality players (Depay, Auoar, Dembele). I feel like they are the one of worst in the competition for us to face sadly because of the weaknesses in our team. Last season when we had a better team probably than now we still didn't manage to beat them.

I have a bad feeling about this as we have struggled all season against this play but I hope the team proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Not a lot to agree with there. I suspect Pep won't be as arrogant

It's about the best formation for a particular type of an opposition. We didn't beat Lyon last season and we failed against Spurs. So, to show arrogance would be stupid. But playing a big game player like Bernardo instead of Gundy wouldn't be a matter of arrogance but of using the resources of the whole squad in an optimal way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.