Lyon CL QF | Pre-Match Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about the best formation for a particular type of an opposition. We didn't beat Lyon last season and we failed against Spurs. So, to show arrogance would be stupid. But playing a big game player like Bernardo instead of Gundy wouldn't be a matter of arrogance but of using the resources of the whole squad in an optimal way.
I would agree its the best formation that is needed, but you never said that. You started off by proclaiming Lyon are not that great (big mistake). This is a one off with no second chances, so you rest no one. You pick your best 11.

You may not feel it but your post did display some arrogance, which is why I commented

I would agree its the best formation that is needed, but you never said that. You started off by proclaiming Lyon are not that great (big mistake). This is a one off with no second chances, so you rest no one. You pick your best 11.

You may not feel it but your post did display some arrogance, which is why I commented

It's clear that Lyon are not on the level of Bayern or PSG. 7th in Ligue 1. This does not make them easy to beat! But it has to be taken into account when you choose the best XI for that particular game. There's no such thing as the best XI per se. The best XI for a particular game depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. Pep may decide that playing Rodri and Gundy against Lyon is the best option for us and I will agree with him since he knows best. Usually, I defend Gundy and predict that he is going to play. But I reckon there's a decent chance that we play only one of Rodri/Gundy at DM against Lyon and play Bernardo next to Kevin. I don't know Lyon that well, so I'm guessing now.

Before Ligue 1 was ended, Lyon had played 28 games W 11 D 7 L 10

This is in a league that is 90% dross....

That league has 2 teams in the last 8 of the CL, as many as Spain/Italy and more than England. We will take them very seriously, no doubt about that.

Can people please stop mentioning the league table? I understand where you're all coming from, but it didn't stop Arsenal from beating us.

They've obviously got quality. We should remember first hand. And they have just knocked out the Italian league champions.

We should have more than what it takes to beat them and it'd be very disappointing if this was the game to eliminate us, but we ought to be a little bit more humble here.

It's clear that Lyon are not on the level of Bayern or PSG. 7th in Ligue 1. This does not make them easy to beat! But it has to be taken into account when you choose the best XI for that particular game. There's no such thing as the best XI per se. The best XI for a particular game depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. Pep may decide that playing Rodri and Gundy against Lyon is the best option for us and I will agree with him since he knows best. Usually, I defend Gundy and predict that he is going to play. But I reckon there's a decent chance that we play only one of Rodri/Gundy at DM against Lyon and play Bernardo next to Kevin. I don't know Lyon that well, so I'm guessing now.
Pep will not select his team based on their league position. He will not gamble like that and rightly so.

That league has 2 teams in the last 8 of the CL, as many as Spain/Italy and more than England. We will take them very seriously, no doubt about that.

I am sure we will.. and I wouldn’t expect anything else... but just pointing out the numbers which don’t lie

Bottom line now is that we have to be able to beat a team like Lyon if we want to win it.

That’s not to disrespect them, but one leg against a team that finished 7th in Ligue 1 - if offered beforehand you would have bitten someone’s hand off for it.

Pep will not select his team based on their league position. He will not gamble like that and rightly so.

Again, it's not about gambling but about choosing the right formation against a side with particular strengths and weaknesses. Even more important than the formation is the mentality, the will to work hard and take the opposition seriously enough. Which we will do.

I think Pep made a mistake against Arsenal by playing Silva. That was arrogance for Silva lacks energy and pace for such games. Playing Bernardo instead of Gundy has nothing to do with arrogance, imo.

Again, it's not about gambling but about choosing the right formation against a side with particular strengths and weaknesses. Even more important than the formation is the mentality, the will to work hard and take the opposition seriously enough. Which we will do.

I think Pep made a mistake against Arsenal by playing Silva. That was arrogance for Silva lacks energy and pace for such games. Playing Bernardo instead of Gundy has nothing to do with arrogance, imo.
Then why do you keep going on about their league standing, it means fuck all at this stage of a knockout comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.