Lyon CL QF | Pre-Match Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their recent form in high level cup comps is impressive, no?

Beating Juve over 2 legs is an impressive result. I didn't watch either game but listening to 'experts' and 'pundits' it sounds like Juve played really badly in both matches

Lyons CL group results were nothing to shout about in what was one of the weaker groups

I'm not suggesting it will be easy and I hope and expect nobody at City will either cos that is where I think we've come unstuck this season. But lets not kid ourselves, if we'd been allowed to hand pick an opponent to face in the last 8 out of all the teams left in it... it would probably have been Lyon... if that is arrogance or over-confidence, well sorry.... but its true

Based on the fact we hardly ever draw games the prospect of a shoot out is limited...I hope!

We've won five in a row under Pep. I believe the last time we lost a shootout was 08/09.

The penalty trouble we had early this year was more a run of bad luck. Gundogan I don't think had ever missed a pen before.

Will be a tough hame regardless of where Lyon finished in ligue 1. They will be bouncing after knocking out a strong team - just as we are and have done

Because it is a straight knockout means we know we have to be on our A game which i believe benefits us. No thinking about a return leg etc.

Go out and get the job done

Cup team? The old saying was a good defence wins you a league and a good attack wins you a cup. Not sure it applies as much these days with all the money in the game but perhaps this is an example.
Let’s hope they bring their league form next week.

I think tactically the game will be different from pep so he may change the team a little. Maybe mahrez will play.

I think last night ederson was told not to fuck about and clear it. It was quite noticeable and good game management.

I noticed this too... I’ve never seen ederson play so many long balls in one game before.

Lyon are exactly the kind of opposition we can struggle against, they defend deep and narrow to restrict the space inside and break with speed and intelligence.

It's doesn't transition to great league form because they're not great breaking teams down themselves from an attacking standpoint but we'll be favourites in this game and the attacking emphasis will be on us, as it always is. We desperately want to avoid the Russian Roulette of penalties, so we have to attack and take risks to win the game before it gets to that stage. That will give Lyon a fighting chance to beat us and exploit our weaknesses.

People thinking this will be an easy game might be in for a shock, Lyon are a very good team with a particular style and purpose that has been our weakness this season. We have to approach this with the same intensity and humbleness as we did in the games against Madrid, being even more cautious not to lose possession in central midfield areas because if we do, we'll get turned over.

I trust the lads to do it, we're more than good enough but we'll have to gamble to get the first goal (that's the huge risk). Once that goes in then it's a different story and I think we could go on to get 4 or 5. If we do concede first then we have to keep the belief, keep playing the same way and trust our ability to eventually get back on level terms and start again.
Good post, I couldn’t have put it better myself. Your comment about the first goal is key to this fixture.

I think you've got this one wildly wrong, although I completely understand the reasoning. I'd be slightly more reserved because Lyon are quicker on the counter attack than Madrid and their style of play can really cause us problems. 3-4-3/3-5-2 for me, with one or sometimes two of the front three dropping back into midfield off the ball. Wingbacks for the natural width because Lyon defend narrow and deep. Three at the back because it gives us greater stability to play out from the back due to them playing two strikers.

Ederson
Walker - Fernandinho - Laporte
Cancelo - De Bruyne - Rodri - Mendy
Sterling - Jesus - Foden

Gundogan to miss out, even though he was top class last night, so he'd be really unlucky but I think we have to change tactically for this one. Potentially it could be Foden missing out, with De Bruyne moving further forward but it's personal preference for the energy off the ball.

You might be right but I don't think Pep will change the formation so much. We will play with 4 defenders and Cancelo will start at LB again. Why tinker with the defensive line when we have just stumbled over something that seems to work? Mendy hasn't played for several weeks now, he will be too rusty, no need to risk with him.

On the issue of how strong is League 1, on current UEFA Coefficients, Ligue 1 is behind England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, and Scotland. This coefficient is based on performance in European competition.

It is possible, and indeed likely that OL have a game better suited to the CL than L1. However they have played next to no football since March apart from a French League Cup final (which was dire) and a match against a woeful Juve team. They lost both matches.

If City perform professionally they should win the tie. 538 have City at 88% to win and OL on 12%.
That's not true. France is 5th behind Spain England Germany and Italy.

Scotland aren't even in the top 10.

7 Lyon players got yellows last night, will some of them be suspended for our game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.