Lyon CL QF | Pre-Match Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think

Think I read they get tested on arrival & then before the game,with exc having to stay in different hotels,as not to mingle with the players.
Thanks. So they stay in their rooms after being tested? Am just thinking if you get tested, then go off to a dinner, training or meeting with your club, then technically that's the whole lot potentially infected if they're coming into contact with the positive case after testing?

Maybe I'm just worrying too much. Just seen bernardo's birthday speech and worried now one of the catering staff has sneezed on his cake or laterme was flicking bogies as payback!

I fear mostly the mental side of the game with Lyon. Unlike the tie with Real, we are big favourites for this one and a loss has big downsides. Previous failures in CL quarters may play on the mind of (some of) the players. Psychologically, it may be a difficult game. Unless we put the game to bed early on and play with freedom. Or the thought of being close to the final inspires us. Much depends on Pep here, no doubt. Go after them with energy and enthusiasm and chances are we win.

Spot on.
This one has written 'red alert' all over it. I've seen it too often over the years. Nobody expects them to go through and that's their big bonus.

We mustn't concede first, no way. That's their match plan, like in both group matches back then.
If we score first we win.

Wouldn't be surprised if they take us to ET or more.

Thanks. So they stay in their rooms after being tested? Am just thinking if you get tested, then go off to a dinner, training or meeting with your club, then technically that's the whole lot potentially infected if they're coming into contact with the positive case after testing?

Maybe I'm just worrying too much. Just seen bernardo's birthday speech and worried now one of the catering staff has sneezed on his cake or laterme was flicking bogies as payback!

They used the term be in the bubble so very little contact with people outside the group,even the exc from city
Most clubs now take their own chef's,
So it will be one tight bubble
Hotel staff will keep there distancing & correct ppe,
As regarding Bernardo he be worshiped there so no problem,

I'm not sure the 1 leg format suits us.
I worry about the penalties factor should it get to that.
But at least we won't get caught between getting a first leg lead then being vulnerable second leg - we'll just have to go for it one-off and if we're at it, few can live with us. Single game knock-out takes a lot of the tactics out of the game. My tactic would be 'Right lads, score as many as you can...' Ha ha...

Spot on.
This one has written 'red alert' all over it. I've seen it too often over the years. Nobody expects them to go through and that's their big bonus.

We mustn't concede first, no way. That's their match plan, like in both group matches back then.
If we score first we win.

Wouldn't be surprised if they take us to ET or more.
I can't quite work Lyon out - playing well in the CL, but only finished 7th in a league that's hardly the greatest. Whatever league we're talking about, the finishing positions do not lie. 7th best in France. We probably have to get the early goal to draw Lyon out.

The Real Madrid game I thought was an outstanding result and a very strong performance for Manchester City. It was a profoundly good night in this strange season, and yet even in a good moment a recurring theme has developed: weakness in both boxes. It might seem churlish to raise this after knocking Real Madrid out over 2 legs but I am sure I was not the only City fan who spent much of the game wondering just how Real Madrid were still in the game, and why weren't City out of sight?

If you listen to Pep he frequently comments about City's lack of efficiency in both boxes and this was most definitely on display against Real Madrid. We created some fantastic attacking moves and yet the final pass, or shot, frequently went astray. Our attacking is almost brilliant but lacks the efficiency of Liverpool. And in the same way after dominating the opening period Benzema was unchallenged in heading home and that kind of summed up our season.

I think the defensive mistakes are down to two aspects:
  1. Absence of an obvious partner for Laporte. If you keep changing the back 2, and you play a 35 midfielder, or an Otamendi, you will make mistakes.
  2. Defensive cover in midfield is not absolute. Good as Gundogan and Rodri are on the ball, off it, they aren't Kante. I am yet to be convinced that Rodri has the mobility to play this role effectively. It was largely OK against Real Madrid as their midfield is pedestrian.
Up front we have fantastic wide forwards, but we don't have a lethal Kane like finisher any more. Aguero is losing mobility. Our final pass often is poor, and we have a tendency to over-pass. Sterling in particular could score a lot more goals. It is a positive in a way that if Sterling could improve his finishing he could go from 25 goals a season to 35 or even 40.

We have to play to our maximum in the remaining games. I feel we'll probably beat Lyon but will fall short in the semi or final because we have this inefficiency to our game.

We are a 100 point squad but we can still improve a lot.

I agree with all the above. We have to be more clinical in front of goal. Rodri is not as mobile as Ferno was in that position. Ferno used to inject speed into our play. Hard to replace. Also, against Madrid we slowed the pace down, starting from Eddy. When that happens, we tend to get into a mindset, where the outfield players slow down also. Propbabky why Pep instructed Eddy to play long in the second half. We should purchase a real goal scorer like Aguero if we want to win the league next season.
Having said all this. I have watched City for over 60 years and the football we play is the best I have ever seen and am grateful that it came in my lifetime. Thank you Pep.

We have to have the same mental confidence that was evident vs Real, half the game was won right there. If we let that slip and still be guilty of wasting decent scoring chances then we're toast. Am sure Pep will have an epic personality talk lined up for them to remind that it's not an easier opponent. Never underestimate your opponent!

We have to have the same mental confidence that was evident vs Real, half the game was won right there. If we let that slip and still be guilty of wasting decent scoring chances then we're toast. Am sure Pep will have an epic personality talk lined up for them to remind that it's not an easier opponent. Never underestimate your opponent!
The lads seem super focused,walker was saying after the Madrid game that they had to concentrate and do exactly what pep has told them to do,just need to not lose our nerve if we get to play bayern or barca

Having two fixtures heavily favours teams that are better.

I disagree with this. If that were true, why have we been knocked out by Spurs last season, Liverpool the season before (when we finished about 30 points ahead of them in the league) and Monaco the season before that?

I think different clubs are better in Europe than others due to suiting the two-legged ties. I don't think that applies to us - we're clearly very good at winning single-leg cup competitions, but not two-legged competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.