Macclesfield - the next club to go under?

Went there with Altrincham once. February night, freezing, open terrace.....lost 2-1....the only place in the world where Carbrini sportswear is still worn....

Furthermore, a meat and potato pie should not contain carrots.

went there with Altrincham then a few years later, went pre season with City, couldn’t believe it when 2 years later we were playing the league.

hope they come through I always like as many local clubs with pathways into the game except fcum (spit).

Hope they get sorted. My mum still lives in the town ( from Manchester of course) sad to see

It's about time what's now called Division 1 and 2 were merged with the Conference to give 3 regional leagues, the money these clubs would save with the added bonus of bigger gates from more local away fans would them a chance to survive.
Nail on the head.
In the conference you have Hartlepool playing Torquay or Ebsfleet which is just not sustainable.

Nail on the head.
In the conference you have Hartlepool playing Torquay or Ebsfleet which is just not sustainable.

The premier league has killed football for grass roots/ lower league?? It wasn't long ago we were seconds away from god knows what, every town needs a football club it's part of the community

The premier league has killed football for grass roots/ lower league?? It wasn't long ago we were seconds away from god knows what, every town needs a football club it's part of the community
Kids today brought up on sitting in front of a screen playing video games instead of being outside playing sport and getting up to mischief.

Not enough match going fans to go around all the teams in the country, most are struggling to get by.

I suspect the entire bottom tier of Football is in big trouble.... the establishment of the Premier League was always going to finish the bottom half of the football pyramid- just surprised it’s taken this long. Who were the architects of this destruction- oh yes the media darlings - so there’s no scrutiny or investigation of the facts.... Lower tier football will nee to adapt which probably means semi professional and regional leagues - I.e a return to the 1950s.

Agreed, and lower league footbal would be the better for it. The wages that are being paid down at the bottom of the league system are ridiculous, even national league level wages are becoming unsustainable.

It amazes me that a town like Macclesfield can support a professional league team in the first place. No disrespect, but most football clubs have a strong base of traditional working class blokes. Macclesfield is a relatively small town which has become more and more "Cheshire" over the years. Whoever has run the club has worked miracles. When I were a lad, they were in the Cheshire League, or the Northern Premier League, or whatever it was called back then. I would no more expect a league team there than I would in Buxton or Knutsford.

I've already said that I don't think a 92 club, fully professional set-up is sustainable. What I find remarkable is not that Bury have gone down the toilet but that 30-40 of the smaller outfits are still getting by.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.