Macclesfield - the next club to go under?

Kids today brought up on sitting in front of a screen playing video games instead of being outside playing sport and getting up to mischief.

Not enough match going fans to go around all the teams in the country, most are struggling to get by.

So true. Any kid who has sky can sit in the house all weekend and can often watch three to five live games, at least two of them being premier league games. Why would they go out in the cold and rain and part with most of their pocket money to watch Macclesfield? The answer is they won't. The majority will support a premier league team and they can be in Manchester in around 20 minutes on the train. Before the total saturation of live tv games kids would have gone with their mates to a local game. The parents would have allowed it as it was close to home, it would have been cheap and a fun day out. Today it just isn't an attractive proposition

More and more “Cheshire”?

Have you ever actually been to Macc?

Many, many times. And I go back a long way. Yes, it has its rough edges, but it's still a prosperous area and has changed out of all recognition from the little industrial town it used to be. It's just a brief ride in a Bentley to two of the most prosperous areas in Britain, never mind the North.

Bacup, it ain't.

So true. Any kid who has sky can sit in the house all weekend and can often watch three to five live games, at least two of them being premier league games. Why would they go out in the cold and rain and part with most of their pocket money to watch Macclesfield? The answer is they won't. The majority will support a premier league team and they can be in Manchester in around 20 minutes on the train. Before the total saturation of live tv games kids would have gone with their mates to a local game. The parents would have allowed it as it was close to home, it would have been cheap and a fun day out. Today it just isn't an attractive proposition
GO GO GO County.

Many, many times. And I go back a long way. Yes, it has its rough edges, but it's still a prosperous area and has changed out of all recognition from the little industrial town it used to be. It's just a brief ride in a Bentley to two of the most prosperous areas in Britain, never mind the North.

Bacup, it ain't.

Alderley Edge and Prestbury are not Macclesfield.
Macclesfield around the ground and for a long way is a shithole.
A year long police operation recently busted a big heroin and crack gang working in Macc from a Manchester.
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/meet-violent-gang-members-who-17109062
The area round the ground has hardly changed from its hey day as the biggest producer of silk cloth in the world.

just because kids want to play video games doesnt kill off football teams
Point I was making is they are not brought up on sport like I was, out in all weathers kicking a ball about with my mates. Therefore no affinity with the game we love.

The "couch potatoes" are fed a stream of violence by these video games, and then we are surprised when youths start stabbing each other on the streets.

It amazes me that a town like Macclesfield can support a professional league team in the first place. No disrespect, but most football clubs have a strong base of traditional working class blokes. Macclesfield is a relatively small town which has become more and more "Cheshire" over the years. Whoever has run the club has worked miracles. When I were a lad, they were in the Cheshire League, or the Northern Premier League, or whatever it was called back then. I would no more expect a league team there than I would in Buxton or Knutsford.

I've already said that I don't think a 92 club, fully professional set-up is sustainable. What I find remarkable is not that Bury have gone down the toilet but that 30-40 of the smaller outfits are still getting by.

I tend to agree that 92 is too many for full professional. There is no reason why these clubs can't find a sustainable level but the more there are the thinner the income gets spread and the lower that level is. The income disparity as you drop down the leagues is massive and many get in the shit as they drop down. Having various clubs constantly in the shit does not help the overall position.

Point I was making is they are not brought up on sport like I was, out in all weathers kicking a ball about with my mates. Therefore no affinity with the game we love.

The "couch potatoes" are fed a stream of violence by these video games, and then we are surprised when youths start stabbing each other on the streets.

That's more for people getting involved in sports activities rather than going watching live sports events. Playing computer games has done nothing for many like myself who want to go cheer on their team or stuff like that.

I also don't blame computer games for people going out for violent tendencies, it doesn't help but it isn't the cause of it either.

Macclesfield have struggled for ages. I was born in Macc and the vast majority of local fans are either blue or rag. They can’t sustain a team of gates under 2000. They were a successful non league team and going into the League was always going to be a struggle.As mentioned earlier, regionalisation is the only way the teams will survive, AND closer links to the local PL teams. It’s time to look, again , at the feeder team system . The system can’t support a 92 team tier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.