Macclesfield - the next club to go under?

So true. Any kid who has sky can sit in the house all weekend and can often watch three to five live games, at least two of them being premier league games. Why would they go out in the cold and rain and part with most of their pocket money to watch Macclesfield? The answer is they won't. The majority will support a premier league team and they can be in Manchester in around 20 minutes on the train. Before the total saturation of live tv games kids would have gone with their mates to a local game. The parents would have allowed it as it was close to home, it would have been cheap and a fun day out. Today it just isn't an attractive proposition

You are Colin Shindler
So true. Any kid who has sky can sit in the house all weekend and can often watch three to five live games, at least two of them being premier league games. Why would they go out in the cold and rain and part with most of their pocket money to watch Macclesfield? The answer is they won't. The majority will support a premier league team and they can be in Manchester in around 20 minutes on the train. Before the total saturation of live tv games kids would have gone with their mates to a local game. The parents would have allowed it as it was close to home, it would have been cheap and a fun day out. Today it just isn't an attractive proposition

You are Colin Shindler and I claim my £5.

You are Colin Shindler

You are Colin Shindler and I claim my £5.

No chance, I am a season card holder and go to the games, but this is the harsh reality of modern life and football. Kids went out and played and if they didn't go to a live game they didn't see it, especially in the lower leagues.

This gets brought up often and Sky is always blamed but the truth is attendances at 9/10 clubs are higher than they were in the 80s and 90s. Macclesfield in 1992 were getting average 756. Their average now is 2389.

Macclesfield being in trouble is nothing to do with Sky or kids in front of iPads, it’s down to living above their means. These clubs wouldn’t be in trouble if they spent what they earnt.

This gets brought up often and Sky is always blamed but the truth is attendances at 9/10 clubs are higher than they were in the 80s and 90s. Macclesfield in 1992 were getting average 756. Their average now is 2389.

Macclesfield being in trouble is nothing to do with Sky or kids in front of iPads, it’s down to living above their means. These clubs wouldn’t be in trouble if they spent what they earnt.

The eighties in particular was a poor time for attendance's due to shit facilities in most grounds, mass unemployment and hooliganism. Attendance's only really picked up again after all seated stadiums were introduced, facilities improved, hooliganism was cracked down on and the country was riding on a high after Euro 96. I am not going to plough through stats as it isn't that important to me but I'd say these things had an effect.

Macclesfield's financial problems will be down to a number of factors but I still think having plenty of big clubs on their doorstep and lots of live football on tv impacts not just them but other small clubs.

Macc in 1992 were playing in the Vauxhall Conference.

The eighties in particular was a poor time for attendance's due to shit facilities in most grounds, mass unemployment and hooliganism. Attendance's only really picked up again after all seated stadiums were introduced, facilities improved, hooliganism was cracked down on and the country was riding on a high after Euro 96. I am not going to plough through stats as it isn't that important to me but I'd say these things had an effect.

Macclesfield's financial problems will be down to a number of factors but I still think having plenty of big clubs on their doorstep and lots of live football on tv impacts not just them but other small clubs.

You make some good points in your first paragraph but i could go further back, some examples and i'll use the same year so i'm not nit picking to suit my agenda - 1972.

Club/1973/2019
Mansfield/5010/4897
Gillingham/5412/5169
Lincoln/7145/9006
Exeter/3857/4418
Rotherham/7313/9880

Either better or around the same figure (https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm). Obviously there will always be context to these comparisons (success, level they are at etc) but football attendance in this country is in a really healthy state, even more so at non-league.

The reason why clubs struggle is not down to attendances, it's how badly they are run. A few clubs over spend for quick success, fail and then get out the digging bowls. The wages these clubs pay out create a knock on effect throughout the league which results in pretty much all clubs being in the red as they are all shit scared of going out of the EFL and losing the money they get from them such as TV money, the £100k from the Premier League, even the £50k contribution to their community schemes.

Point I was making is they are not brought up on sport like I was, out in all weathers kicking a ball about with my mates. Therefore no affinity with the game we love.

The "couch potatoes" are fed a stream of violence by these video games, and then we are surprised when youths start stabbing each other on the streets.
There is absolutely no correlation between video games and rl violence, it's a myth which has been disproven time and time again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.