Maine Road 100

Gary James

The 92nd daily post in my series of 100 free Maine Road articles counting down to the centenary of the old ground’s first game had just been posted. This one’s on the Kippax. Enjoy:

The other 91 features have covered a variety of Maine Road angles from Demonstrations to Floodlights; the CITY FC Flag to the ‘Commit No Nuisance’ hidden sign etc. I’m sure there’s something there to interest everyone, regardless of whether you actually managed to attend a game there.

This link should take you to every article posted so far in the series:

Thanks as always to those who have supported my work both on Maine Road and throughout my life. The support of fellow Bluemooners has been extremely important to me over the years. Ta!

Gary, as usual a great read about the Kippax, The "official" attendance v Charlton was a absolute joke as you say :-)
I have vauge memories of my Nan & Grandad telling me that in the early days of Maine Road you could change ends at half time if you wanted, although I think there was talk of a small charge to get from one section to another?
Any idea if this was feasable when the only stand seated & covered was the Maine Stand? Cheers.

the kippax was a great place to grow up for young blues, what id give for one last stand on the kippax to watch city.
Watching our current players ofcourse!
To be fair the 1994 team (who were the last team we saw from the steps of the Kippax) were not as bad as the ones who followed in the folliwing few years!

Today’s free Maine Rd 100 article is a piece about attendances at the old place. A few myths busted perhaps! Enjoy:

Really enjoyed that. Cheers, Gary!
Great. Thanks. There are lots of free articles to enjoy on my website:

There‘s extra stuff for subscribers too, including PDFs of my first book (From Maine Men To Banana Citizens), Manchester A Football History and I’m serialising Farewell To Maine Road too. In total there’s over 1000 articles/interviews/features etc on there now and much more to be posted over the coming months. There’s been at least 1 feature a day now for about a year.

Today’s free Maine Rd article is about the man who played in more first team games than anyone else at the old stadium. Enjoy:

One surprising fact about Maine Road was in our Championship winning season in 1967/8, our average attendance was only just over 36,000, some games in the high twenties. This when we had the most exciting team in the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.