Maine Road FC need your help...

pardoe

They're facing relegation for only the second time in their history. Currently third bottom of the North West Counties Premier Division and in a scrap for survival with Burscough and AFC Liverpool. They've only got seven games left, but because of postponements six of those are away.

For those who don't know, Maine Road were founded as City Supporters Rusholme in 1955 (so they're older than PSG!), use the old City crest, play in City colours, are sponsored by the City Supporters Club and are run by a group of longterm City supporters. Their old headquartes were the Maine Road Social Club (now unofficially the Griffin pub in Heaton Mersey). They play at St. Margarets, on Brantingham Road, Chorlton.

Their remaining fixtures are as follows...

Tue 17th April - Squires Gate (Blackpool) away
Sat 21st April - Ashton Athletic (Near Wigan, not Tameside) away
Tue 24th April - Irlam away
Sat 28th April - Padiham away
Monday 30th - Widnes at home
Monday 7th May - West Didsbury & Chorlton away
TBC - Winsford United away

How you can help:

- Come to a game at Brantingham Road if you can, this season or beyond. Games are £5, or £3 for concessions and every pound earned from entry or a programme or a pie or cup of tea sold helps meet travel costs to away games and general maintenance, etc.

- Come to one of the remaining away games and give the team a bit of extra vocal support. Home attendances average around 120, and a small core of regulars travel to away games. Every bit of moral support helps.

- Become a 'Friend of Maine Road' - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/maineroad/a/friends-of-maine-road-27087.html

- Sponsor a player next season. Your company, or place of work, or group will be in every match programme and the money helps pay the bills. Contact the club secretary for more details - derekmaineroadfc[at]hotmail.co.uk

- Volunteer at the club. Could you help give the ground a lick of paint over the summer, or help with match reports, or give a hand on matchdays? If so use the above email.

- Follow the club on Twitter (https://mobile.twitter.com/MaineRoadFC) and Facebook (https://m.facebook.com/pages/Maine-Road-FC/105783919452395) and interact with fans. There's a Facebook group as well but without an account myself i can't access the link. The league website (http://www.hallmarksecurityleague.com/index.php) is quite comprehensive and every time an article, or match report, or information about a game's shared or retweeted it can mean an extra few through the gate.

Apologies to those with no interest in football beyond City. I know some of you might be strictly one club men/women or live nowhere near South Manchester so have no personal link to the area, but it's a lovely local club with links to City and it's a shame to see them struggling a bit. Also, sorry if i've posted this in the wrong forum. I considered it City-related but wasn't sure if it should go in here or the general football forum.

In hindsight posting this literally minutes before we won the title mightn't have been the best timing!

Maine Road conceded an injury time goal at Squires Gate to draw 2-2 tonight, compounded by AFC Liverpool beating West Didsbury & Chorlton. It's not looking good. That's one win in 14 games now stretching back to mid-January.

If people don't mind i'll try to keep you Blues posted every now and then with how the club are doing on and off the pitch.

For those who have not given it a go.....Go and watch a few non league games, tons of great little clubs that will always be grateful of a few of your pounds. Some good stuff to be watched as well. Obviously there are a small number of non league clubs that no self respecting blue should ever set foot in but other than those everyone should try and turn out now and again and spend a few quid in these grounds.

A club I used to play for Maine Road so good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Good luck mate.

I wish City would recognise the importance of the club and help out financially in some way. Even one home game a season where 50p from every ticket was donated would raise a load of money.

I have watched Maine Road in the past and the game against FC United at Stalybridge was epic. What a celebration and singing of Bluemoon.

Pleased to report that Maine Road won 0-1 at Ashton Athletic yesterday, their second win since mid-January, making it four points from six.

On to Tuesday night now - Irlam away.

Good luck mate.

I wish City would recognise the importance of the club and help out financially in some way. Even one home game a season where 50p from every ticket was donated would raise a load of money.

I have watched Maine Road in the past and the game against FC United at Stalybridge was epic. What a celebration and singing of Bluemoon.

Yeah .... would be great if City could help them in some way. Part of the club's heritage since 1955 deserves recognition.

For those who have not given it a go.....Go and watch a few non league games, tons of great little clubs that will always be grateful of a few of your pounds. Some good stuff to be watched as well. Obviously there are a small number of non league clubs that no self respecting blue should ever set foot in but other than those everyone should try and turn out now and again and spend a few quid in these grounds.

I went to Moss Lane to watch Altrincham on an international weekend and it was £15 admittance. Fuck that. I turned straight back round and went home.

I went to Moss Lane to watch Altrincham on an international weekend and it was £15 admittance. Fuck that. I turned straight back round and went home.

Got to say thats expensive for Northern Premier League, Nantwich charge £7/8 and they are in the same league, It cost me £19 for me and my 16yr old to go and watch Macc v Orient the other week reasonable I thought for Conference football.

Have to agree with your view if Alty are charging that much I would give it a miss also.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.