Maine Road (Football Away Days)

once the kippax went from standing to seats, I never went back to maine rd, mind I had my own small business which I had to work Saturday morning so couldn't get over, but I did go to leeds and sheff wed when we was playing them,
I felt the same when the terracing went but I did go a few times, never in the Kippax though, still hate sitting at football, it's just wrong.

IMG_0001.jpg

You didn't dream it, it was in a program during the John Bond era. Same roof that was on the Main was to go over the Kippax and matching Platt and North stands. I can see the illustration now, but can't track down the programme.

But the t'internet strikes again,,,,laydees and gennulmen, the new Maine Road:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kHBHCuYKdyo/TqGr9_7vfhI/AAAAAAAAAx0/yndzLOAjiTY/s1600/IMG_0001.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, just asw AJ's post of the same.
Wonder what the capacity of this would've been? High 40's?

Brilliant, thanks for that. Wonder why, Swales decided to seat the North Stand after a year of terracing?

Some great comments about Maine Road from rival fans (Apart from the usual Dippers and Rags).
Got me all sentimental again. Don't half miss that place!

How many Leeds fans are on the comments to that saying “those back streets though” “if you didn’t get ambushed in the back streets there you didn’t go!”

A Geordie also said “roughest ground I’ve been to, worse than West Ham”!

once the kippax went from standing to seats, I never went back to maine rd, mind I had my own small business which I had to work Saturday morning so couldn't get over, but I did go to leeds and sheff wed when we was playing them,
I’ve just mentioned in another thread, my uncle stopped going after the Kippax was knocked down. I reckon thousands did!

When you think, if you include the open corner, there’d be 25,000 standing on the Kippax in big games. That was knocked down and some moved to the North Stand while the Kippax was a building site.

However the North Stand already had long standing fans in there and only held about 6,000. Thousands upon thousands of fans were lost from our support in 1994, some never to return.

My uncle tried the North Stand but didn’t like being behind the goal, and tried the new Kippax when it was finished but he said it was dreadful. And I think he’s only been to about half a dozen games (the odd cup game I get him a ticket for) since. I think losing the Kippax broke his heart a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a shithole

But our shithole
It wasn’t really a shit hole. By the time we left, two of the stands were newer than the Etihad is now. And the floor outside the ground was flatter with fewer puddles than the Etihad has.

Back in 1923 it was the best ground in the country and was for many decades.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.