Maine Road or Etihad

As a stadium the Etihad pisses all over Maine Road, but that is it.
Maine Road had everything else over the Etihad, great memories, nostalgia, 4 stands that didn't match up, it was unique, hostile environment ( sometimes ) the smell of burgers and booze, I'd get a tingle as I approached it on a match day, I was excited and nervous, the ginnels, so many pubs, the beehive, parkside, Sherwood, clarence, Albert, Claremont plus others, we even had a social club.
We didn't expect the club to put on a match day experience, we went for the match, we created our own memories, we had golden goal and we listened with interest for half time scores and a manual update of the scoreboard, checking who was game ABC etc, we collected tokens just in case we ever got to a semi or a final.
Maine Road was my youth and growing up years and I wouldn't swap them for anything, loved it and miss it in equal measures.
Fucking well put mate

Stadiums and facilitiea were from different eras ( as were the stands at Maine Road) but I always remember the anticipation as a kid of seeing the floodlit towers when heading down Claremont Road for a night game. Often the anticipation was misplaced, other than Charlton promotion game and derby wins I never had moments at MR like Ageurooooo.
Being younger with less responsibilities when we left MR, matchday comprised beers in town, match, then more beers in town. My matchday routine has altered now due to age/responsibilities so for the whole matchday experience its MR for me, for facilities there is no comparison. Maine Road was also in the heart of the community, surrounded by houses, and as others have said, pubs.

A lot of these posts are, inevitably, about what it was to be young and a City fan. I understand them, I identify with them. But strictly speaking, the Etihad is a proper, modern stadium with facilities befitting our era. Maine Road was, honestly, pretty grim (like most of Moss Side). We made it what it was. Oh, and the players, of course. And Big Mal. And Sir Joe…

A lot of these posts are, inevitably, about what it was to be young and a City fan. I understand them, I identify with them. But strictly speaking, the Etihad is a proper, modern stadium with facilities befitting our era. Maine Road was, honestly, pretty grim (like most of Moss Side). We made it what it was. Oh, and the players, of course. And Big Mal. And Sir Joe…

Bit disrespectful to the people of Moss Side that! Too good for it are you ?

Maine Road will always be in the hearts of many blues and Moss Side is where a lot of us lived ..... wasn’t grim to many of us because it’s all we knew. The people were salt of the earth too in the main .

Love some of the posts on here. Brings back those emotions from way back .

The Etihad has never ever made me feel as alive as The Kippax on big night games .... although the success in the last 10 years cannot be matched I admit and moments like winning the league etc I’d have loved to have been standing on the old Kippax with thousands of lads my age going fucking mental.

That feeling stood in seats just isn’t the same. Sorry

The Charlton pic is unbelievable, the Kippax was overcrowded that day make no mistake about it. Fuck knows why more didn't go in the corner bit between Platt Lane, quite a lot of room there?
I'm on that int the sunshine as part of a 48k crowd.....hahah

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.