Making a loft into a habitable room....

Pigeonho

In the King's Head, waiting for the Queen's legs t
But not a full-on loft conversion.

Anyone done this, and used it as a bedroom? From what we can tell we would need a velux window, a proper staircase, insulated walls and floors and of course make the hatch wide and long enough so it is accessible as a room. A full on conversion is out of our league, as is an extension. The space is there to be used and we think this would work, providing our joiner confirms the floor is strong enough, which my old fella thinks it is.

What do you think, Blues? And have any of you done this?

if it s a loft i d try to get two skylights either side for cross ventilation and position them for the morning sun and one for the evenings. insulation is great these days...... as for the beams supporting you-fine! could cross join a few before any flooring.

utilise any space in your home...........if it can be used.

I also await replays from knowledgable blues on this subject. I want to get ours done much to my missus' irritation, so this thread will hopefully keep me in wind up material for the rest of the day.
Lofts always seem like wasted space to me. You buy a house and it's like you pay for all this wasted cubic meterage that the builders couldn't be arsed to finish off properly. Even if you use them for storage most lofts are crappy places that end up covering your stored possessions in detritus,spiders and wasps nests!

des hardi said:
if it s a loft i d try to get two skylights either side for cross ventilation and position them for the morning sun and one for the evenings. insulation is great these days...... as for the beams supporting you-fine! could cross join a few before any flooring.

utilise any space in your home...........if it can be used.
We can only use one side of the roof really, as to use both sides we would have to drop the ceilings of the first floor by a foot, which is when it becomes a conversion and at great cost. We need a 4th bedroom, and seeing as my step lad is only 5, and a tiny 5 at that, he isn't going to have any problems up there, height wise, for years, by which time my 2 kids will be long gone. We don't want to move, I fought hard to keep this house many years ago and we would never get the amount of land we have at the back anywhere else. The only affordable way to do it then is to make the loft habitable, on a relatively tight budget.

I'm in the process of doing ours.doing it through the planning people at Bury council but it's cost far more than I imagined,the council stipulated that we used 90 mm kingspan insulation with a 2inch void then another 40 mm on top,we had to use 9x4" floor joists which all cost a fortune,having to put rock wool between the floor joist with chicken wire underneath,put fire doors throughout the house and put in smoke alarm through to the main electric supply,on the whole I think they have gone way over the top,that king span insulation costs a fortune,be a nice big room when finished though and I'll be fucking skint

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.